Who Do You Think Will Be The Next Coach

Eagle-96

Okay, Troy guy here but I come in peace.

Do not sell yourself short on Terry Bowden (literally or figuratively). At UNA, one of the top DII programs in the country he is not winning like he should. They have transfers from all the SEC schools and in his 2 years he is losing the games he should win. UNT is a great place to be, facilities, recruiting, student enrollment, it's all there. I think Bower, Leavitt or Franchione would all be good choices. Bower is good, he got a raw deal, Trooper Taylor? I hope that was a joke, he is a cheerleader at Auburn who dresses somewhat as a football coach. Good luck, look forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks.

Bowden's last signing class at UNA was ALL Division I transfers many with criminal or disciplinary issues at the schools they left. Lots of ACC and SEC guys. If you can't dominate Division II with 27 former FBS and 4 FCS players, somethings wrong. They lost 5-0 to Valdosta last week and generated 101 yards offense.

Can someone explain to me what's so bad about Bower? I don't know much about him. If Fran, Leach, Levitt, and Bowden aren't interested would he then be a decent hire? Wouldn't you rather have Bower with HC experience than a young guy getting his first HC job? Again, I don't know much about Bower.

Can't say it any better than below:

Trust me, don't trust me... It's all good, I still think you're keen. Don't be leery of me.

Put another way: Hiring Bower is the ultimate punt job RV could pull on a coaching search. He's everything people hated about Dickey and potentially worse, as he wouldn't have any connection to the area and wouldn't have any of the assistants that really helped him during his most successful years.

Take away wins over 1-AA programs (as many people wanted to do when discussing Coach Bower the 1st), and his celebrated "14 year run of winning seasons" in 18 full seasons at USM includes 8 years with 6 or fewer D-1A victories.

Only once in his final 8 years coaching USM did he manage to finish a year with fewer than 3 conference losses.

When we fired Dickey, people here knew damn well why we did it. But it didn't make a lot of sense to people outside the program.

USM had their reasons for firing a guy who hadn't had a losing season in 14 years. And we've already lived through what led them to fire Bower once before here.

Now... Take him out of the school and the town where he was a former hero QB and longtime assistant before taking over as head coach. Take away the assistants who started leaving during his greatest success, weren't there to help him during his decade long decline and won't be joining him at North Texas. Drop him into a conference that's tougher to recruit to, a state where he's never had any coaching experience, and a side of the country he hasn't worked in for over two decades. And remove him from the coaching game entirely for 3 years.

Does that sound like a recipe for success here to anyone?

Is that the best bet for this program?

I do think that Coach Canales could bring a Texas/Florida recruiting advantage like no other school in the conference.

We definitely need strong recruiting in Texas and Florida whomever the HC is next season.

Edited by KRAM1

Why is all the talk about Terry Bowden? Is Tommy not a viable option?

Just looking at the site assembled by TFLF, it looks like before starting at NA, Terry was out of the game for 10 years. Combine that with his less than stellar performance thus far at NA, what is the big deal?

I know Tommy left Clemson on not the best of terms, but that was in 2008, and he had the team playing well for most of his 10 or so years there. It seems to me that Tommy would be the more relevant choice between the two.

• Upvote 1

Bowden is ancient and you can afford Leavitt. Bowden is too old to be a workaholic and that is what it will take to turn the program around.

I clearly prefer Leavitt over anybody else but Terry Bowden wouldn't be a bad hire. I think Bowden's biggest mistake was his layoff from high level D1 coaching was very lengthy like 12 years. He finally decided he wanted to get back into coaching and he sort of needed to start from level 1 again. I realize that maybe he is not tearing it up at UNA as the Troy poster is saying but sometimes that is just the way things go. He still has a good record and someone who is a Bowden. Just the name will take you so many places with the deep pipelines they have in recruiting, money etc. Again I love Leavitt but I would not have a problem settling for Terry Bowden.

We definitely need strong recruiting in Texas and Florida whomever the HC is next season.

Canales will be a strong asset if he is a part of the program next year. He already has strong ties to Florida, he now has ties to Texas and from his several years in BYU we know he will have strong ties to California and the west coast. I would not be opposed to Canales being the OC here or some sort of assistant here if the new HC wants him to be here and there is mutual interest.

According to all-knowing Wikipedia, Leavitt was making well over a million dollars a year at USF. It would be great to have him at UNT, but I suspect he would be reluctant to take such a large pay cut. He may be attracted to the challenge and potential, but sometimes those elements are simply not enough. In this economy, with a stadium not paid off yet, a hiring freeze, and a souring student body, I can't imagine UNT offering any HC a million dollar or even a half million dollar salary. The press attention alone would be terrible. Let's not even talk about the student reaction. . .

• Downvote 2

I disagree about the reaction. A vocal minority of students would bitch... ...but really, who cares? The next generation of students will expect a culture of winning and will be choosing NT because of that culture not the current one. I'm happy to piss of a few students who aren't going to look back at UNT after they graduate anyways. ...and why would the press react negatively? I don't think they really have that much of an axe to grind. ...and again, if they do - who cares?

We are NORTH TEXAS. This is about us. I don't care about ANY outside reaction to this. I don't care what people who voted no to growing this program think about this.

I DO care what Alumni who support the program, boosters who support the program and Students who support the program feel about it. ...everyone else can go to hell. ...but that's just me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yyz28, I understand and respect your passion, but the current student body is THE alumni of the future. Believe me, alumni are essential to any athletic program, especially football. Every successful football program in America has an involved and "deep pocketed" alumni association. UNT has made huge gains in involving their alumni, but they have a long way to go. There is a relationship between the football program and the students. To simply yell "screw the students!" may be shortsighted and endanger the future of the program. By the way, I didn't mean to infer that UNT will not pay their HC (and assistants) millions of dollars because of bad press or bitching students. I argue that...the money is simply not there.

Edited by jazzer88

I agree with everything you said Jazz... I simply argue that the students who will react badly to paying market price for a caliber of coach we're looking for are not going to come back and support UNT athletics after they graduate regardless of the new coach or the pricetag associated with him. ...the students who will react badly voted no on the fee and don't support athletics today. Being frugal on this choice to spare their feeling does nothing positive for the program or university.

Canales will be a strong asset if he is a part of the program next year. He already has strong ties to Florida, he now has ties to Texas and from his several years in BYU we know he will have strong ties to California and the west coast. I would not be opposed to Canales being the OC here or some sort of assistant here if the new HC wants him to be here and there is mutual interest.

We agree!

I find the Bower talk amusing, in that four years ago we all ' knew' that RV was going to male the safe hire by bringing in Tyrone Nix (a prior USM DC). We were all lamenting that we were overlooking Jumbo Fisher for a lower level assistant.

And then RV swung for the fences by bringing in TD (high risk, high reward). (a hire that Bill Parcells had tried to make for the Cowboys high ends coach).

So I will not be surmised if the next coach is not Bower, or even on this thread.