Unt Must Play Well Enough On Field To Make Fans Care About New Field

Brett Vito

I don't agree with this headline or the premise of the article.... at least not as it relates to next year. Three or four years down the line? Maybe so. But next year is very much an "if you build it they will come" situation.

Additionally, I think with a healthy team and a new coach, there's going to be buzz aplenty surrounding UNT next year. That makes the next hire all the more important. We have a chance now to put UNT football on the map for a long time to come.

• Upvote 2

DRC

Dodge and the Mean Green are holding out hope that they can give their fans something to be excited about in the last few weeks of the season

What this admin and TD must not realize is that the season is over for most MG fans...we don't care if MG wins any games the rest of the season...or should we say..we don't care too much...the season is shot...gone...over...like every other season for the last 6 years...the buck stops here (that is at RV's desk)...He is responsible for keeping TD this long...for hiring a HS coach in the first place. I like RV and I also like TD, but someone needs to go...and soon....way too many people are unhappy with this program !

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If you do it for anyone, do it for the students of the past six-seven years. Most of us who graduated in 2008, 2009, 2010, or in 2011 will have never seen UNT win more than 3 games during their time here. That's lost donations right there. Lost pride. And I think it indirectly hurts the crown jewel of UNT athletics, men's basketball.

Yeah, the new stadium is nice, but we shouldn't need a new stadium to start winning. Winners can win anywhere.

If you do it for anyone, do it for the students of the past six-seven years. Most of us who graduated in 2008, 2009, 2010, or in 2011 will have never seen UNT win more than 3 games during their time here. That's lost donations right there. Lost pride. And I think it indirectly hurts the crown jewel of UNT athletics, men's basketball.

Yeah, the new stadium is nice, but we shouldn't need a new stadium to start winning. Winners can win anywhere.

In football -- yes. Thankfully Men's Basketball has been a shining light in an otherwise dim situation regarding Men's revenue generating sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dodge and the Mean Green are holding out hope that they can give their fans something to be excited about in the last few weeks of the season

What this admin and TD must not realize is that the season is over for most MG fans...we don't care if MG wins any games the rest of the season...or should we say..we don't care too much...the season is shot...gone...over...like every other season for the last 6 years...the buck stops here (that is at RV's desk)...He is responsible for keeping TD this long...for hiring a HS coach in the first place. I like RV and I also like TD, but someone needs to go...and soon....way too many people are unhappy with this program !

I disagree just slightly. If we could get our win total up to three or four by season's end, it would give at least the illusion of positive momentum going into the off season (and recruiting season). Three or four wins would double or triple any of our efforts over the last three seasons and heighten excitement over the coaching search and the move to the new stadium. A strong finish would give the freshmen and sophomores something to look forward to next season that despite all of the injuries and coaching deficiencies, they were able to pull themselves out of the ditch and make a little late season noise.

Of course, the main issue is... can they win two or three more games? :unsure:

Either way, I may be disgusted, disappointed, frustrated, etc. at the farm animal droppings we've seen on the field, but I'll never stop caring about my beloved Mean Green.

I don't agree with this headline or the premise of the article.... at least not as it relates to next year. Three or four years down the line? Maybe so. But next year is very much an "if you build it they will come" situation.

Additionally, I think with a healthy team and a new coach, there's going to be buzz aplenty surrounding UNT next year. That makes the next hire all the more important. We have a chance now to put UNT football on the map for a long time to come.

This kinda' reminds me of the old "we need to fill Fouts Field x amount of times before we build a new stadium" crowd.

Next year, people will show en mass out of curiosity for our new football palace IMO--Year 2 in the new stadium we need to start showing more wins than losses for our season.

I agree with those on this board who think the cupboard is not bare and that a fresh new face may be able to do good things next year. I am sorry this did not work out for Todd Dodge. I guess in some cases its like Leo Durocher said about nice guys (and many of us still think that of TD). When asked, he will leave his job at UNT in style and grace.

GMG!

My newphew is junior at UNT and has seen 1 home football win since he started school. He pointed out Saturday that the football team lost more games than the basketball team did last year and will probably do it again this year.

• Upvote 1

I care.

• Upvote 1

In football -- yes. Thankfully Men's Basketball has been a shining light in an otherwise dim situation regarding Men's revenue generating sports.

And, yet still the students do not attend.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am pretty sure that, at this point, a new coach will have the most significant positive impact on fans "caring".

I"m curious why you would think that. A new head coach certainly would, but an interim coach is just a caretaker. When interim coaches take over during the season, teams tend to perform no better than they did before.

I"m curious why you would think that. A new head coach certainly would, but an interim coach is just a caretaker. When interim coaches take over during the season, teams tend to perform no better than they did before.

I did not say anything about an interim coach, or even when the change should occur. Interim coaches do lead to head coaches though...

The whole point of the article is about the excitement level heading into the new stadium. If Todd Dodge is still the coach, I expect it to be significantly lower than if we have a new coach, with new hope. I don't think the number of wins we end up with this year will have any effect, because realistically 3 is the highest that number will get.

• Upvote 1

I agree. This season is a lost cause. Nothing could salvage the failure of this season. I could care less what happens the rest of the season. I just look forward to a clean slate and a competent HC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look up Akron and their first season attendance in their new stadium ......starts off great but then dwindles horribly due to losses...this is my fear

This is one of the main reasons we make a coaching change. The stadium sells itself next year, we get a coach in here who can win as many games as TD won in 4 years, start recruiting his guys and keep rolling in year 2 so we don't see the drop off.

If TD survives then butchers next season hope may be lost for Season 2 of our new digs.

• Upvote 2

I did not say anything about an interim coach, or even when the change should occur. Interim coaches do lead to head coaches though...

The whole point of the article is about the excitement level heading into the new stadium. If Todd Dodge is still the coach, I expect it to be significantly lower than if we have a new coach, with new hope. I don't think the number of wins we end up with this year will have any effect, because realistically 3 is the highest that number will get.

Misread your original post.

I agree. This season is a lost cause. Nothing could salvage the failure of this season. I could care less what happens the rest of the season. I just look forward to a clean slate and a competent HC.

It'd be nice to see wins for the remainder of the season but that is wishful thinking. I think Dodge has phoned it in, if not at least for the last game we had. Let Dodge go now so we at least have fans thinking we can win in the new stadium. Right now, I don't think they expect any wins with Dodge, new stadium or not.

With a new coach, potential fans might think:

"Hey, we got rid of Dodge. We might be able to win and do it in a really nice pad."

With Dodge at the helm:

"Man, all this money is going to a stadium so we can watch Dodge have another losing season."

And for football educated fans:

"We got rid of Dodge and we got a new stadium. We might not see win streaks now, but with the new recruits, we can see some big ones soon."

And with Dodge:

"It doesn't matter if we got a new stadium or not because Dodge can't recruit, and even if he could, he can't coach worth a damn anyways."

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but this is people paying for a service that isn't being rendered, so the service provider needs to go.

Edited by meangreendork