According To Wikipedia: Smu Ford Stadium Cost $42M

PlummMeanGreen

...from what you know of SMU's stadium versus what our finished product will look like--who is going to have the crown jewel around DFW of the newer football stadiums? (Of course, ours will be newer so I would say ours--and I'm a tad biased) :rolleyes:

Any speculated comparisons albeit ours is probably only half finished?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

SMU built their stadium when construction costs were significantly lower.

Not sure where you got the >$100 million figure; I hope that's not accurate.

Both stadiums will be very nice, but I'll give the edge to our stadium, since it will be associated with the University of North Texas.

• Upvote 1

SMU built their stadium when construction costs were significantly lower.

Not sure where you got the >$100 million figure; I hope that's not accurate.

Both stadiums will be very nice, but I'll give the edge to our stadium, since it will be associated with the University of North Texas.

Oh, I tend to round things off to the nearest 100 million'th--life long habit I guess. :rolleyes:

Honestly? Construction costs will go up before we finish this stadium and I'm with Chuck Neinas when he said (and I liberally paraphrase): "UNT got one heckuva' deal with this new stadium" (and he mean't co$t).

Mean Green 93-98, I think we got a tremendous bid on this stadium from the group that built the Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington. In fact, I would wager that other bids would have been well over $100,000,000 and I suppose thats why I put that number in the thread title. Please forgive. :innocent::mellow::D

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

...from what you know of SMU's stadium versus what our finished product will look like--who is going to have the crown jewel around DFW of the newer football stadiums? (Of course, ours will be newer so I would say ours--and I'm a tad biased) :rolleyes:

GMG!

you are inaccurate on both costs. did you figure in the cost to demolish ownby stadium? and besides, who cares?

you are inaccurate on both costs. did you figure in the cost to demolish ownby stadium? and besides, who cares?

I googled "cost of SMU's Ford Stadium" and my computer took me to Wikipedia and that is where the $42M came from. I though it low, too, because at one time I thought it much higher.

Ours for $100M? I think we got one helluva' quote from a construction company (Cowboy Stadium) who could afford to do it for what they quoted. I speculated (which we all tend to do with most subjects on this forum) that other bids would have been well over $100M. UNT Consultant Chuck Neinas seemed most enamored with what we were getting for the quoted price. How many times have we all read that quotes were not locked into prices and stadiums went over budget? This thread was not mean't to get a few panties in a wad--Of course, we could go back to comparing UNT's versions of Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant if we wanted to go back to, uh, that; Or locked or interlocked NT brandings, new shades of green, the "one" assistant coach who has caught the fancy of this board (which there has always been "one" of those thru the years); or should Corky Nelson have gotten just one more year; or you name it--this board has probably already covered it, right? :)

GMG!

• Downvote 2

I googled "cost of SMU's Ford Stadium" and my computer took me to Wikipedia and that is where the $42M came from. I though it low, too, because at one time I thought it much higher.

Ours for $100M? I think we got one helluva' quote from a construction company (Cowboy Stadium) who could afford to do it for what they quoted. I speculated (which we all tend to do with most subjects on this forum) that other bids would have been well over $100M. UNT Consultant Chuck Neinas seemed most enamored with what we were getting for the quoted price. How many times have we all read that quotes were not locked into prices and stadiums went over budget? This thread was not mean't to get a few panties in a wad--Of course, we could go back to comparing UNT's versions of Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant if we wanted to go back to, uh, that; Or locked or interlocked NT brandings, new shades of green, the "one" assistant coach who has caught the fancy of this board (which there has always been "one" of those thru the years); or should Corky Nelson have gotten just one more year; or you name it--this board has probably already covered it, right? :)

GMG!

You think that by using a different construction contracting company other than manhattan would result in a 30 million dollar increase in the quote? I would think manhattan's fee is somewhere around 5% of that quote. not 50%.

You think that by using a different construction contracting company other than manhattan would result in a 30 million dollar increase in the quote? I would think manhattan's fee is somewhere around 5% of that quote. not 50%.

Ok, the stadium we will get after they finish all the massive steel and concrete we've all seen on the press box side will then switch over to paper mache' & doilies to finish her out and that is why we got the great quote from the construction company who built the Cowboys stadium for...............(I dare not say one billion dollars because that could get another ridiculous thread as this one has become started---Harry told me, "Jim, you can have no more than 3 "from the far side" threads per week as long as they are not "DD/TD comparison....UNT branding/new shade of green or......."we need "THIS" assistant coach to take over" threads per week and that's all! I said, "OK, Harry, its your board and I will concur." :rolleyes:

I still think we are getting a $100 million palatial stadium when the final bill comes in and probably even more costly if we were just starting construction on our new stadium this Fall, too. Consultant Chuck Neinas (who has seen his share of new stadium start-ups) I would wager would say pretty close to that same amount since he is astounded at what kind of deal we are getting with our stadium quote. Sue me for speculating. :P

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

GMG!

the answer is TCU

• Downvote 1

Ours for $100M? I think we got one helluva' quote from a construction company (Cowboy Stadium) who could afford to do it for what they quoted. I speculated (which we all tend to do with most subjects on this forum) that other bids would have been well over $100M.

So in other words you just pulled this figure out of your arse :)

Anyone can put stuff on wikipedia.

I know. :rolleyes:

(Gosh, I hope my wikipedia bosses don't read this post).

(just kiddin')

I don't think this stadium if built on the eastern seaboard (or outside Texas) could be completed for what we are getting on our quote. I think that may be where ex UNT consultant Chuck Neinas is coming from on the deal he says we are getting for the price. He does travel around the NCAA a bit, you know?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I don't think so...I can put a bunch of shiney buttons on a turd, but at the end of the day it is still a piece of shit....

And I did say "newer football stadiums" in the opening post last I checked for the one above who is enamored with TCU's remodeling job coming up on their much "older" stadium.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Ok, the stadium we will get after they finish all the massive steel and concrete we've all seen on the press box side will then switch over to paper mache' & doilies to finish her out and that is why we got the great quote from the construction company who built the Cowboys stadium for...............(I dare not say one billion dollars because that could get another ridiculous thread as this one has become started---Harry told me, "Jim, you can have no more than 3 "from the far side" threads per week as long as they are not "DD/TD comparison....UNT branding/new shade of green or......."we need "THIS" assistant coach to take over" threads per week and that's all! I said, "OK, Harry, its your board and I will concur." :rolleyes:

I still think we are getting a $100 million palatial stadium when the final bill comes in and probably even more costly if we were just starting construction on our new stadium this Fall, too. Consultant Chuck Neinas (who has seen his share of new stadium start-ups) I would wager would say pretty close to that same amount since he is astounded at what kind of deal we are getting with our stadium quote. Sue me for speculating. :P

That d*** Harry is taking all the "epissles" out of your posts!!! That ain't right man, it just ain't right. "DANG"

Akron(a top MAC school) would probably serve as a better comparison than SMU. They opened there new stadium this year. IMO "New MG stadium" will have the edge in the following areas...

- larger capacity

- better media/press boxes

- nicers club seating

- better seats to view the game

- better design and layout

- of course better location being situated between the 2 biggest Interstates in DFW