Ticket Sales And Contributions

EAGLE83

This info is for all sports - not just football.

But does UNT need to improve these numbers across the board?

geico-mike-mcglone.jpg

Without a doubt.

I agree. However, with all statistics there are nuances. While our season ticket sales are nothing to brag about, our "walk-up" attendance ranks up at the top of the Sun Belt and consistently beats such schools as SMU and Louisiana Tech, to name a couple.....and that is with several consecutive losing seasons and gimmicks such as counting out of town "specials" as home games, etc.

So, if there is good news here, it is that our potential and upside are very good. Of course, potential and 75 cents will get me the morning paper. We need to both win and build on what is already happening here.

Yes. Only 8 to 12 schools in Division 1 show a profit each year.

I think "profit" for Division I is almost a side issue. How much would it cost you to run a 3 hour commercial on Saturday afternoon for your school. I think a large number of schools look at breaking even or even close to it as simply advertising. The PR is impossible to put a price tag on, not to mention any school merchandise that is purchased that is not counted in the athletic accounting.

Will my season ticket purchase now be considered a contribution if I don't go to another game?

I think my accounting teacher would say "no" as you still have the ticket as the are at least theoretically something of value.

I think "profit" for Division I is almost a side issue. How much would it cost you to run a 3 hour commercial on Saturday afternoon for your school. I think a large number of schools look at breaking even or even close to it as simply advertising. The PR is impossible to put a price tag on, not to mention any school merchandise that is purchased that is not counted in the athletic accounting.

i agree. I can't imagine NT being in a position to show a profit directly from athletics often if ever. But back in the 80s and again in the 90s Rice did studies that showed maintaining a Div 1 program with football had a net positive effect for the entire school over dropping football which is why they accept the costs of athletics. I'm not sure if they have done a study since they have been in CUSA to confirm it is still a net positive or not.