Rice Football Predictions

Rice Review

"Week 2: Rice University Owls at University of North Texas Mean Green

Last Meeting: 9/27/2008 in Houston, Texas; Owls won 77-20

All-time Series Record: 2-0

This will be a key game for the Owls, why? Because if they can't beat the Mean Green then it is doubtful that they could beat anyone on their schedule. Rice's offensive "weapons" will be have to be at the top of their game, though, as they try and compete with the high octane offense of North Texas. Luckily, Nathan Tune is likely to get the nod at quarterback otherwise Riley Dodge would be ripping the Owls a new *#@hole."

Ya know....I'm sorry....I was at dinner last night with a bunch of Big 12 Schools Alum (notably UT heavy) and football came up. Lots of hoopla about UT's Gilbert and how he is "higher rated than Colt ever was" and made reference to the Championship game. I made mention of our backup having played against Bama in his second game (first starting) and threw 0 interceptions against Bama vs. Gilbert's 4. I also could rest easy predicting that Riley would have thrown at least 2. Now I love Reilly....but...I cannot see how if Nathan were our QB that some writer thinks I season is down the tubes. Of course noone follows our program like we do (esp writers not focused on one team) but still...at least read Nathan's stats before you make assumptions.

I just wonder why they think the series record is 2-0 when Corky Nelson 1aa team clobbered them.

From the original post, it appears the Rice Media Guide lists the record of 2-0 Rice. We beat them 33-17 in Houston on 11-19-1988. Link here. Of course we were then shut out by 1AA Marshall the next game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Riley makes plays happen. He may make more stupid mistakes the Tune, but he creates big plays. If his arm would have fully healed, then I really believe we would have seen one of the best QB's to ever come through North Texas.

I am sure RD is a nice guy...but as a QB he stinks and was responsible for several losses last year...all by his little o' self.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

From the original post, it appears the Rice Media Guide lists the record of 2-0 Rice. We beat them 33-17 in Houston on 11-19-1988. Link here. Of course we were then shut out by 1AA Marshall the next game.

We were also 1AA at the time. Marshall won 7-0 in the first round of the 1AA championship playoffs.

guess you did not see the ball state game.

I watched it...but I also watched Middle Tenn, Army, ULL and ULM where in each game he threw 3 interceptions. We cannot win games no matter how much our defense improves if games like this occur again. I don't bash Reilly but I cannot see how you are so quick to thumbs down a guy for saying what so many are thinking....when do we get a star QB like Hall again?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I watched it...but I also watched Middle Tenn, Army, ULL and ULM where in each game he threw 3 interceptions. We cannot win games no matter how much our defense improves if games like this occur again. I don't bash Reilly but I cannot see how you are so quick to thumbs down a guy for saying what so many are thinking....when do we get a star QB like Hall again?

hall was not recruited as a star qb. he was a db given a chance to try qb first. riley became injured trying to do too much. but he doez not stink as a qb as houston put it. most losses were caused by the defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

hall was not recruited as a star qb. he was a db given a chance to try qb first. riley became injured trying to do too much. but he doez not stink as a qb as houston put it. most losses were caused by the defense.

good point on Hall....as for the whether or not he "stinks"...I don't think he does. The facts are that he threw too many interceptions last year for us to win some games. Defense had problems yes...they also lost us some games. The topic is one that has been argued and there is no point to it...I just want a QB with a 135+ Rating this year..and consistently...I also think that Nathan or Derek can do that for us.

guess you did not see the ball state game.

I did see the Ball State game...gave me hope, which quickly dissipated. You can't play well in one game , then turnover the ball multiple times in other games and be considered a good QB....what good does a running back do for you if he is a great rusher and is always turning the ball over and killing drives (and spirits). Again, I am sure RD is a nice guy and this is only college football...not life and death, just a game, but a qb in this game he is not. Lack of consistancy all round...except in maybe the turnover part.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I did see the Ball State game...gave me hope, which quickly dissipated. You can't play well in one game , then turnover the ball multiple times in other games and be considered a good QB....what good does a running back do for you if he is a great rusher and is always turning the ball over and killing drives (and spirits). Again, I am sure RD is a nice guy and this is only college football...not life and death, just a game, but a qb in this game he is not. Lack of consistancy all round...except in maybe the turnover part.

He was a freshman. How many D1 universities are starting freshmen QB'a, and of those, how many don't make freshmen mistakes? Riley Dodge was the 5A player of the year as a quarterback. I'm sorry, but you don't achieve that success without being a good QB. Also, playing with an arm that had lost most of its strength didn't help either.

He was a freshman. How many D1 universities are starting freshmen QB'a, and of those, how many don't make freshmen mistakes? Riley Dodge was the 5A player of the year as a quarterback. I'm sorry, but you don't achieve that success without being a good QB. Also, playing with an arm that had lost most of its strength didn't help either.

Seriously. Vizza threw 5 more picks his freshman year than Riley did in his, yet most of us were pretty high on him.

Yep. Comparing two guys who aren't playing quarterback for us next year. Gotta love the offseason. Who's a better tackler: Zombie Landry or Zombie Ditka?

[Edit: not about any specific post, just the general madness that overtakes us so close to the season starting]

Edited by Shuke-D
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1