X-Factor

bdan2002

I think that the X-Factor in all of this is Dr. Rawlins. From a source close to the situation - it was Dr. Rawlins who made one phone call to the president at the University of Ciny (both in the Metro Conference) to form Conference USA, alone with UAB from the Sun Belt Conference; Marquette and Saint Louis from the Midwestern Collegiate Conference (now the Horizon League), and independent DePaul. Dayton joined in 1993.

Remember this is a man who served twice on the NCAA board of directors and as chair of the PAC-10, Conference USA and Great Midwest Athletic Conferences.

You can not tell me that this man does not have access to people of influence and power. I am sure he is on the phone right now trying to get UNT in the best possible situation.

To me, this is a great situation. A man, like Dr. Rawlins who knows that in's and out's of conference restructuring, while we are in the process of building a new stadium.

I think that he is 100% the X-Factor in this equation.

• Upvote 5

If he's known to the folks he might speak to, doubt if the title would be a big issue. He's kinda walked the walk.

Interim appointments in academics are usually store minders. They don't try to saddle the future title holder with things they might not agree with.

I don't think he lost his cell phone and now doesn't have anyone's numbers, I think he would be more cautious as an interim president than he would be a president.

Not sure the "interim" tag is of much concern. He should be able to call people he knows regardless of the interim status.

Question for all of the Lee Jackson bashers out there (guilty). Is there a slight possibility that Jackson and the BOR saw this coming and picked up the most qualified guy for this opportunity?

Dr. B would have made sure UNT was included in the Pac 17.

Interim appointments in academics are usually store minders. They don't try to saddle the future title holder with things they might not agree with.

I don't think he lost his cell phone and now doesn't have anyone's numbers, I think he would be more cautious as an interim president than he would be a president.

More cautious ? Maybe he would be more agressive knowing the length of his term. Not everyone want to sit behind a desk and twiddle their thumbs.

Not sure the "interim" tag is of much concern. He should be able to call people he knows regardless of the interim status.

Question for all of the Lee Jackson bashers out there (guilty). Is there a slight possibility that Jackson and the BOR saw this coming and picked up the most qualified guy for this opportunity?

Dr. B would have made sure UNT was included in the Pac 17.

Negative on Lee Jackson and the BOR is reactive not proactive. The best case scenario on Jackson is that he might not hinder the process.

They might have seen that we're building a new stadium, the largest building project ever at the school, and wanted to bring in someone who might be able to capitalize on that. I doubt they could foresee anything like what's going on now. I mean seriously, if I told you even two weeks ago that ESPN would be regularly reporting on the possible dissolution of the Big 12, would you believe me? I wouldn't.

That said, if he was brought in because of those qualifications and it was expressed that one of his main goals is to push our athletics programs, then he sounds like the right guy to have at that position. If he uses his connections to move us up to CUSA or better, then it would make losing Dr. B less painful.