F me?? F you! F all of us! tongue.gif

These oil companies actually work very hard to ensure saftey for all of the rig workers, anyone living nearby, and protect the enviroment. Is it always perfect, no. Im always seeing scientists and environmentalists coming in and out of well sites long before they begin drilling. Accidents can always happen, and thats just what this was, an accident.

Accidents have been happening with BP for several years now. I think it's the families and loved ones of those who died in the Houston refinery explosion and Deepwater Horizon well blowout who deserve our support. I know a geologist who has worked in oil and thinks BP should surrender all its profits for the next ten years to mitigate the losses already caused. One thing he's mentioned as having no real answer is why they removed the drilling mud that was working to control the pressures from the well bore to replace it with sea water (during an operation to cap an exploration well). I guess sea water is cheap.

The irony of this is twofold. First, the environuts have prevented the U.S. from building any new nuclear reactors for over 30 years now, increasing our dependence on oil, gas, and coal to produce electricity. Second, the anti-offshore drilling crowd has succeeded in pushing drilling further and further from the coast to the point that this well is over a mile down to the ocean floor, making it much more difficult to contain. Being so far out, it is also much more likely to pollute the Loop Current and ruin the beaches of Florida and the Carolinas.

There are always unintended consequences.

--- I think most people agree with you nuclear power is the way to go......but..... can you trust those people any more than we trusted BP and Halliburton [both are involved in this platform mess along with another company ] ???. The nuclear screw-up would be worse. That is the real problem and we still remember the also "supposedly" impossible accidents at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl which wreaked the area so bad that it is still uninhabitable. ...that is the real problem... can we trust them to be careful and to follow the rules and plan for every possible accident which obviously BP and Halliburton didn't. ?? This accident is minor compared to what that could be.

--- We also need to find better ways of disposing of the left over waste.. Eventually we will do exactly what you said..

--- Odd that the genius Palin has been very quiet about all of this...LOL

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

--Check out this one... A Vermont Yankee Power company had a tower collapse and worse while cleaning it up they discovered the ground was saturated with Strontium-90 which is known to cause cancer.. It appeared in today's paper. Not sure they can be trusted any more than BP et.al. [ can't find on web ] Nuke power makes sense but can't trust them to take care of business either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We've been running nuclear power plants for over 60 years. The only one that had an accident of any significance was run by the Soviet government.

It's interesting the extent to which Japan is basing its energy policy on nuclear. Here's a link:

Japanese nuclear policy

Interestingly, Ukraine is in the process of planning and construction of nuclear plants, in addition to the ones they already have.

My opinion: there's plenty of petroleum in various reserves around the world. The problem is, it's harder to get to, and we don't seem to have worked out the technology it takes to extract it as safely as needed. France relies on nuclear for a greater percentage of any other nation, and is reputed to have the cleanest air. Yes there are problems; the long term waste storage being the big one. Nuclear power plants take a long time to be brought on line, and if we wish to consider that as part of our energy future, serious discussions need to begin soon.

Nuclear power has been shown to be an efficient and safe means of producing power. To deny the possibility of developing new nuclear power plants is simply unthinking and unreasonable.

• Upvote 1

--Check out this one... A Vermont Yankee Power company had a tower collapse and worse while cleaning it up they discovered the ground was saturated with Strontium-90 which is known to cause cancer.. It appeared in today's paper. Not sure they can be trusted any more than BP et.al. [ can't find on web ] Nuke power makes sense but can't trust them to take care of business either.

I'm surprised you trust the democrat party. Didn't they give us the vacuum of leadership known as Jimmy Carter? I think just about every intellectually honest Dem would admit that was a HUGE mistake. Yet people (and from your views, I would assume you) still vote for democrat president candidates.

Using your logic, the democrat party should have never been allowed to nominate a presidential candidate after Carter.

If you make a mistake on the job, does that mean the people in your profession should never trust you again? Of course not, because that would directly affect you.

Flawed thinking.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm surprised you trust the democrat party. Didn't they give us the vacuum of leadership known as Jimmy Carter? I think just about every intellectually honest Dem would admit that was a HUGE mistake. Yet people (and from your views, I would assume you) still vote for democrat president candidates.

Using your logic, the democrat party should have never been allowed to nominate a presidential candidate after Carter.

If you make a mistake on the job, does that mean the people in your profession should never trust you again? Of course not, because that would directly affect you.

Flawed thinking.

Actually, President Carter's policy against reprocessing uranium was just extending a moratorium started by President Ford, 6 days before the 1976 election, based on the findings of a secret commission, the Ford/Mitre panel. Carter got a briefing from them after he became President and was so impressed that he extended it indefinitely. But no, I'm not automatically opposed to the election of a Republican President just based on Ford and his support for said moratorium. It still seems debatable whether those nations who went ahead with "breeder reactors" have gained that much from them compared to conventional use of low grade uranium, although the reduction in the volume of nuclear waste gained by them seems like an argument in their favor. Here's a link discussing the history and policy implications of those decisions.

Two views on "breeder reactors".

Just in case you're thinking that all democrats and environmentalists are opposed to nuclear, I'm a democrat who does support President Obama's new nuclear energy initiatives. This one was just announced a couple of days ago:

DOE provides $2 billion loan guarantee for Idaho nuclear facility.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

Flawed thinking.

--- Do you ever pick and chose what to read.!! I say I think nuclear power is the way to go.... and that in the future it will be common place. However I just said is it possible to trust them more than oil companies... The item I mentioned just pointed out there should be some very stiff controls on that industry... and they aren't so great now... obviously. You trust big business way too much... they often cut corners to make an extra buck.... check out the messes in the west Texas oil fields. Texon (former town) for example. ..nothing can grow there, and creeks etc. are ruined ..... ground is very polluted.

--You are one of the most politically prejudiced person I have ever heard of.. The GOP can do no wrong and nothing the Democrats ever do is good. I have voted both ways (not once straight party) . The last being George Bush SR. ... and never W. I am guessing you have always voted straight party and likely would even if Castro was on the ballot.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Downvote 1

--- Do you ever pick and chose what to read.!! I say I think nuclear power is the way to go.... and that in the future it will be common place. However I just said is it possible to trust them more than oil companies... The item I mentioned just pointed out there should be some very stiff controls on that industry... and they aren't so great now... obviously. You trust big business way too much... they often cut corners to make an extra buck.... check out the messes in the west Texas oil fields. Texon (former town) for example. ..nothing can grow there, and creeks etc. are ruined ..... ground is very polluted.

--You are one of the most politically prejudiced person I have ever heard of.. The GOP can do no wrong and nothing the Democrats ever do is good. I have voted both ways (not once straight party) . The last being George Bush SR. ... and never W. I am guessing you have always voted straight party and likely would even if Castro was on the ballot.

Guess you missed my defense of Pres. Obama for ordering the execution of terrorist found abroad.

Actually, I was just using Carter as an example, and if you have read any of my previous post, you should know that I am a conservative, not a Republican. They are FAR from the same.

I trust the free market FAR more than I trust government. Seems the founding fathers and I have a lot in common in that respect.

Why do I get the feeling that if this were the day after 3 mile island, you would be fully on board with banning any new nuclear power plants forever?

It just seems way to far reactionary to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pot please meet kettle.

• Upvote 2

Castro would not be on the ballot as a Republican. He is definitely more from your side of politics.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Castro would not be on the ballot as a Republican. He is definitely more from your side of politics.

--He once publicly endorsed Goldwater over Lyndon Johnson...true.

Johnson had been VP during the Bays of Pigs invasion.

--He once publicly endorsed Goldwater over Lyndon Johnson...true.

Johnson had been VP during the Bays of Pigs invasion.

Again, no way he would ever be on the ballot with a 'R' next to him. He is far more suitable as a Democrat and could even get elected in certain districts. (San Francisco-Barney Frank's in MA to name two)

Again, no way he would ever be on the ballot with a 'R' next to him. He is far more suitable as a Democrat and could even get elected in certain districts. (San Francisco-Barney Frank's in MA to name two)

Ooooohhh...I love Fantasy Political Association...I played in a Yahoo league last year, but I hear ESPN has a better points system.

I've been debating for my draft...how would you associate Albert John Luthuli, Sun Yat Sen and Lord Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten?

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ooooohhh...I love Fantasy Political Association...I played in a Yahoo league last year, but I hear ESPN has a better points system.

I've been debating for my draft...how would you associate Albert John Luthuli, Sun Yat Sen and Lord Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten?

Stay away from the Ayatollah. He totally wrecked my team last year.

Stay away from the Ayatollah. He totally wrecked my team last year.

I took Jawaharlal Nehru with my Agrarian Party selection in the 15th round last year and he ended up carrying me all the way to the championship game...I'd take a flyer on him again this year late, but I'm in a keeper league now and as we all know Nehru is no spring chicken.

I took Jawaharlal Nehru with my Agrarian Party selection in the 15th round last year and he ended up carrying me all the way to the championship game...I'd take a flyer on him again this year late, but I'm in a keeper league now and as we all know Nehru is no spring chicken.

I'm thinking of taking a flyer on Manny Pacquiao. like Jean-François Copé, he's the next up-and-coming political superstar!