Denton is in serious need of a good Italian place, Giuseppe's is god awful from the 5 times I've eaten there. Cool atmosphere, bland food. Katz's burger is pretty good too. I enjoy Rooster's but always get one of the bbq sandwiches.

Midlake is the best Denton band, come on now.

Good call on Katz's. Very decent burger there.

Denton gets an In n' Out Burger and all bets are off asw to #1. I'm there with In n' Out! Bring it on...but, as for California joints...give me Pink's in LA!

Not even the best hotdog joint in the city. Skooby's on Hollywood Blvd blows Pink's away.

Mr. Frosty gets no respect.... and even though he's been dead for 5 years, RJ still makes the best burgers in North Texas.

I've actually saved a World Burger and on the 10th anniversary of RJ's untimely passing away, I will auction it off on Ebay. I'm thinking the reserve price will be around $5,000 but I'm not expecting that to be a problem.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

I've actually saved a World Burger and on the 10th anniversary of RJ's untimely passing away, I will auction it off on Ebay. I'm thinking the reserve price will be around $5,000 but I'm not expecting that to be a problem.

After I found out RJ died I tried to go up there and get the victorious post World Burger Polaroid of me and RJ but they were all gone already.

I probably don't need to ask this, but did you ever try the sweet potato pie?

I'd take a bullet if I could have an RJ burger & sweet potato pie.

Oh yea....I'd go up there once every two or three weeks for a burger, fries, and slice of pie. I swear I've lost about ten pounds since he's been gone. I never tried Denton County Hamburger until right after his death but I've just got no use for that place.

Oh yea....I'd go up there once every two or three weeks for a burger, fries, and slice of pie. I swear I've lost about ten pounds since he's been gone. I never tried Denton County Hamburger until right after his death but I've just got no use for that place.

Agreed on Denton Country...they've somehow managed to perfect the dry yet greasy burger...and just putting on a mountain of shredded cheddar can't mask a poorly cooked piece of meat.

• Upvote 3

Agreed on Denton Country...they've somehow managed to perfect the dry yet greasy burger...and just putting on a mountain of shredded cheddar can't mask a poorly cooked piece of meat.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This ^^^^^

Also, Green P1, I support your support of Mr. Frosty. Criminally underrated. Plus, they used to have Dig Dug in there.

Edited by Green Lantern

I stop by Mr. Frosty a couple of times every month. Good stuff and a great family owned spot. They have some neat car shows on the lot from time to time too...just good "old fashioned" burgers, dogs, etc. What I remember about Denton the most are the great old food joints that have gone by the wayside through the years...like..

Verne's (ice cream, etc.)

Tom & Joe's

The Juicey Pig

LaSalle's

Barlow's

Hickory House

Malt 'N Berg

and the list goes on...too many stories to post about each of these places, but each was "greatness" in its own way, and so were the countless other mom and pop's in Denton in the mid-60's to late 70's.

Does anyone remember the Downtowner? It was in the same space that later became JT's Dugout...and then Hooligan's when JT's creditors wanted him dead so he skipped town and told his bartenders and servers to help themselves to anything left in the bar...liquor, beer, flat-screen TVs...

That place had some pretty good food.

Steve's was classic small joint BBQ...and, yes, I recall the Downtowner...went there a few times. Seemed to start off great but taper off a bit in quality as it "aged". But, do recall some good times at the Downtowner!

Is the Charcoal Broiler on University still open? By no means calling it a top ten unlesss you are talking about value per pound.

And speaking of value, I miss the Taco Inn? the place right across from Kerr with the 29 cent tacos. They hated to see me and my roomate pull up because they knew there was a triple digit taco order on the way.

And speaking of value, I miss the Taco Inn? the place right across from Kerr with the 29 cent tacos. They hated to see me and my roomate pull up because they knew there was a triple digit taco order on the way.

Anyone remember when Wienerschnitzel had $.25 hotdogs? They were painfully bland, but every Wednesday the roommates and I would roll up a couple sticks of motivation and head up there with $5 each. Now that was value.

If you miss the State Club Chicken Tenders, the old co-owner (Todd, not Kenny) owns J Macklins in Coppell and has them on the menu. The name - Famous State Club Chicken Tenders.

http://www.jmacklinsgrill.com/

FAMOUS STATE CLUB CHICKEN TENDERS 6.5

Honey mustard & hickory sauce