Did We Get Snubbed Again?

Learned their lesson from what? Did we as Mean Green nation suddenly outnumber the Big XII readership for DMN? Cuz that's what they are going to write for.

I love my UNT, and drink plenty of Koolaid, but the papers are driven by money and readers.

How far do you expect this "Over 100K+ alumni in the DFW area" pitch to go? Is BIG XII alumni <= 100K?

My email:

I would think after yesterday's responses to the article about SMU and TCU, that at least UNT would get a little publicity from the Dallas Morning News. I was severely disappointed when I saw that articles about the Cowboys 3rd string tight end, SMU's first round Conference USA game, and Gary Patterson singing a Faith Hill song were somehow more important than the metroplex's largest university winning its conference championship in basketball. Do you realize that UNT has twice the enrollment of SMU and TCU combined? You should because your fiscally unstable newspaper is losing more readers by the day.

Thank you,

Steven Glickman

this was what I wrote Garry just now

When you mention stories Garry....I only rationally assume that they

involve more than tapping into the wire services. Take a look at your

own online front page for college sports today versus the nationwide

powerhouse of sports ESPN seen at

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/ and notice the

differences between placement on a nationwide site versus our own

local media outlet. I am done with going to your site for news and

info on our school's sports involvement.

Learned their lesson from what? Did we as Mean Green nation suddenly outnumber the Big XII readership for DMN? Cuz that's what they are going to write for.

I love my UNT, and drink plenty of Koolaid, but the papers are driven by money and readers.

How far do you expect this "Over 100K+ alumni in the DFW area" pitch to go? Is BIG XII alumni <= 100K?

Learned the lesson as in the vast amounts of comments left on the SMU story yesterday showing that on any typical day the Big XII readership is outnumbering us by large amounts....but.....that does not excuse piss poor placement between yesterday and today. So is there an argument that ESPN Dallas is damaging potential readership by giving us the placement we both earned and deserved on their own site? If they can do it....why can't DMN?

Did you check out the newspaper itself? The Mean Green is all over the college sports section with photos, etc. I think we need to be a bit "careful" about the "rage" here. I think today's coverage in the paper itself is great and appropriate..UNT even got a small photo and "preview" on page 1 regarding the inside story. And, there were two color photos! Probably a bit of a difference between the printed edition and the on-line edition. No BigXII photo in the printed edition I received at home this morning. Sure it was the "top" story, but UNT's first and largest photo was "top of the fold" on page 3, with the story and a second photo just below the fold on p. 3. Above the Conference USA and SMU line as well.

I, too, would like to see the DMN give a tad more "respect' to the Mean green, and am often unhappy with the scant coverage UNT gets, but I am not too sure that UNT fans should go too overboard with their rage regarding today's coverage.

Anyway, great day for the Mean Green Nation. GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Did you check out the newspaper itself? The Mean Green is all over the college sports section with photos, etc. I think we need to be a bit "careful" about the "rage" here. I think today's coverage in the paper itself is great and appropriate..UNT even got a small photo and "preview" on page 1 regarding the inside story. And, there were two color photos! Probably a bit of a difference between the printed edition and the on-line edition. No BigXII photo in the printed edition I received at home this morning. Sure it was the "top" story, but UNT's first and largest photo was "top of the fold" on page 3, with the story and a second photo just below the fold on p. 3. Above the Conference USA and SMU line as well.

I, too, would like to see the DMN give a tad more "respect' to the Mean green, and am often unhappy with the scant coverage UNT gets, but I am not too sure that UNT fans should go too overboard with their rage regarding today's coverage.

Anyway, great day for the Mean Green Nation. GO MEAN GREEN!

KRAM, you know us youngbloods don't subscribe to the paper! :lol: If it ain't on the internet, we don't know about it...

• Upvote 1

Except that the JJT article wasn't about the Big 12, it was about SMU and TCU.

Win a tournament game and make them cover you.

Don't worry, there willbe plenty of coverage for the UNT-Dallas Jacksons in their 1st season.

KRAM, you know us youngbloods don't subscribe to the paper! laugh.gif If it ain't on the internet, we don't know about it...

OK, you get a +1 from me for that comment! laugh.gif My kids would agree with you 100% but I cannot give up the "real thing" with a cup of morning java!

Thanks for your e-mail. I am sorry you were disappointed with our UNT coverage today. I think by placing a color photo on our sports front promoting to the coverage inside the section, and running two color photos with a full story on Page 3C, we treated UNT fairly. And we will certainly have additional coverage between now and their tournament appearance next week.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and your interest in SportsDay.

Garry Leavell

Sports Editor

The Dallas Morning News

Thanks for your e-mail. I am sorry you were disappointed with our UNT coverage today. I think by placing a color photo on our sports front promoting to the coverage inside the section, and running two color photos with a full story on Page 3C, we treated UNT fairly. And we will certainly have additional coverage between now and their tournament appearance next week.

Thanks again for taking the time to write and your interest in SportsDay.

Garry Leavell

Sports Editor

The Dallas Morning News

I do tend to agree with these comments.

• Upvote 1