Our First Game In Hot Springs

SUMG

If you believe in omens, when we won the tournament in 2007 our first opponent was ULL.

(Yes that was in the first round, not in the quarterfinals)

((If ULM upsets the Cajuns you could still believe in omens and have hope because we played ULM in the quarterfinals that year))

Edited by CMJ

If you believe in omens, when we won the tournament in 2007 our first opponent was ULL.

(Yes that was in the first round, not in the quarterfinals)

((If ULM upsets the Cajuns you could still believe in omens and have hope because we played ULM in the quarterfinals that year))

If I'm not mistaken....we played MTSU in the semis...which could also happen again. As could, Arkansas State in the final.

• Upvote 1

I'm not planning anything until an official bracket is released by the conference.

I still believe that you can't have any more than 2 teams in consideration for the 1 seed: The East champ and the West champ. I can't believe there's nobody in the SBC staff that doesn't recognize that.

Hopefully, now that it's not a distant hypothetical situation, the SBC will re-evaluate the preliminary interpretation of tiebreakers that was discussed with Vito.

I expect we'll get screwed, but until the bracket is released, I'm not taking anything as final other than Troy wins the East, we win the West, and the rest of the seeds are whatever they are (haven't bothered to even look... Just came home from a very long two days and a very long drive).

• Upvote 1

I'm not planning anything until an official bracket is released by the conference.

I still believe that you can't have any more than 2 teams in consideration for the 1 seed: The East champ and the West champ. I can't believe there's nobody in the SBC staff that doesn't recognize that.

Hopefully, now that it's not a distant hypothetical situation, the SBC will re-evaluate the preliminary interpretation of tiebreakers that was discussed with Vito.

I expect we'll get screwed, but until the bracket is released, I'm not taking anything as final other than Troy wins the East, we win the West, and the rest of the seeds are whatever they are (haven't bothered to even look... Just came home from a very long two days and a very long drive).

I'm sure they will let everyone know something by friday afternoon

Sorry. I am not following your concern here about 2 teams in consideration for the 1 seed and us getting screwed. Can you elaborate?

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=1607437

The more I read this, the ONLY way it makes sense is if you determine a divisional winner first. If that is the case we are the #1 seed.

Irregardless, the wording is vague. Is this only for seeding purposes or for determineing a conference champ? Haven't we had a multitude of conference co-champions in the past?

Sorry. I am not following your concern here about 2 teams in consideration for the 1 seed and us getting screwed. Can you elaborate?

I believe that in a divisional sport, there are only two teams that can be considered "tied" for the 1 seed: The East champion and the West champion.

But the preliminary interpretation that Vito received from John McElwain at the SBC is that they plan(ned) on treating this situation as a 3-way tie for first. That interpretation ends up with us getting screwed. We won our division, we beat the other division champion in the only matchup (on the road at their house, it ought to be mentioned), but they get higher seeding than us.

I hope very strongly that, now that the situation is a concrete reality rather than a distant hypothetical scenario, Wright Waters stops and evaluates the situation very carefully before approving/determining the final interpretation of how the tiebreaker system applies in this situation.

I hope that Rick V (or a very well-spoken and respected subordinate speaking on his behalf) is on the phone with Wright Waters to respectfully but emphatically ask the following questions before any official bracket is released:

1 - Who won the West?

2 - Who won the East?

3 - Who won the only head-to-head matchup between those teams this season?

4 - Who gets the #1 seed and the NIT guarantee?

And if the answer to question four isn't North Texas, I'd love to hear the logical acrobatics justifying why the East runner-up has any relevance on settling a tie between the two division champions.

You notice there is NOTHING on the Sun Belt site declaring who the regular season champ is, yet it's been almost 3 hours since the last game ended. You think they're sitting in New Orleans trying to figure out seeds 1-3?

You'll also note that the game update after our final against ULM mentioned that we win the conference if MTSU loses, but didn't specify any outcome for this situation.

We've heard an interpretation from an official SBC employee. But until the final decision is released by the conference, I'm holding out hope that reason prevails and this thing gets settled in a way that's consistent with how the head-to-head tiebreakers would be handled.

I believe that in a divisional sport, there are only two teams that can be considered "tied" for the 1 seed: The East champion and the West champion.

But the preliminary interpretation that Vito received from John McElwain at the SBC is that they plan(ned) on treating this situation as a 3-way tie for first. That interpretation ends up with us getting screwed. We won our division, we beat the other division champion in the only matchup (on the road at their house, it ought to be mentioned), but they get higher seeding than us.

I hope very strongly that, now that the situation is a concrete reality rather than a distant hypothetical scenario, Wright Waters stops and evaluates the situation very carefully before approving/determining the final interpretation of how the tiebreaker system applies in this situation.

I hope that Rick V (or a very well-spoken and respected subordinate speaking on his behalf) is on the phone with Wright Waters to respectfully but emphatically ask the following questions before any official bracket is released:

1 - Who won the West?

2 - Who won the East?

3 - Who won the only head-to-head matchup between those teams this season?

4 - Who gets the #1 seed and the NIT guarantee?

And if the answer to question four isn't North Texas, I'd love to hear the logical acrobatics justifying why the East runner-up has any relevance on settling a tie between the two division champions.

I gotcha. What threw me off was that I thought MTSU would be the East winner with a win over FAU. But they are actually tied with Troy and lost to Troy twice. That puts Troy in first and us in first with equal conference records, and we have beat Troy in head-to-head competition; thus, UNT should be declared the #1 seed. Do we have a winner here in my analysis?

Chris

Sporting News says Troy gets the No. 1 seed:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-02-27/troy-finishes-64-57-win-over-arkansas-state

That article is pretty much word for word from the Sun Belt website. So I wonder if that is official... If so that is GARBAGE and Troy is also GARBAGE!

Weekend Men's Basketball Scoreboard