Texas To The Big 10?

Mean Green 93-98

There's some smoke, but aTm has to go too per the Texas Legislature. Dodds doesn't think much of it at this point, either, from what I'm hearing. Too much travel cost involved for other than football/basketball, and women't sports would suffer. Sort of like UNT to WAC talk at this point, IMO.

Does anyone else love that the conference that, allegedly, has the best academics can't count?

This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story.

-Lionel Hutz'd

I would argue the Big 12 is the REASON UT has had such great success. To think UT is even entertaining it almost seems arrogant.

Playing several games in the state (and region) every year without question has to have had an impact on the unprecedented support they've received from merchandise to recruiting. You switch conferences, turn your back on the other state schools in Texas to go play with a bunch of "yankee" schools and you risk losing that, in my opinion.

Additionally, their closest home game would be over 1000 miles away. Yes, they've got the money, but do the majority of students? Fans?

I just don't think it's worth it. But then again, I'm just a guy with a computer and an internet connection.

Edited by Eagle1855

I would argue the Big 12 is the REASON UT has had such great success. To think UT is even entertaining it almost seems arrogant.

Playing several games in the state (and region) every year without question has to have had an impact on the unprecedented support they've received from merchandise to recruiting. You switch conferences, turn your back on the other state schools in Texas to go play with a bunch of "yankee" schools and you risk losing that, in my opinion.

Additionally, their closest home game would be over 1000 miles away. Yes, they've got the money, but do the majority of students? Fans?

I just don't think it's worth it. But then again, I'm just a guy with a computer and an internet connection.

In the early years of the Big XII, Texas pretty well floundered. It was not until they got Mack Brown that they took off again, and really after he had been there a few years. It seems you could attribute UT's success a whole lot more to Mack Brown than to the Big XII.

Texas has always played several games in the state and region, and regardless of what conference they're in, they'll always play at least half their games in the state. If they left the Big XII, I imagine they would be sure to keep the OU game on their schedule--that long pre-dates their sharing a conference. They might even keep the A&M game too.

As far as playing a bunch of "yankee" schools, do you really think that would hurt them? Again, the Cowboys have continued to insist on remaining in the NFC East every time realignment is done. Part of what made them so popular across the south and southwest is that they whupped up on yankee teams.

For the most part, I'm playing "devil's advocate," because I really do not think it will happen. The other Texas schools and the Big XII schools need them too much to let them get away. And they'd be leaving a lot of tradition behind. But I believe UT will be interested enough to give it serious consideration.

As far as playing a bunch of "yankee" schools, do you really think that would hurt them? Again, the Cowboys have continued to insist on remaining in the NFC East every time realignment is done. Part of what made them so popular across the south and southwest is that they whupped up on yankee teams.

You can replace "yankee" schools with "schools nobody in Texas really cares about besides transients who may have gone to school at one of them", if it sounds better to you. The NFL is a different beast entirely, where players are drafted or follow paychecks and fans generally don't travel to road games. I think kids like staying and playing close to home... UT is evidence of that.

Then again, Texas has never been a conference that wasn't largely a regional conference, who knows how it would work out? It will be interesting to watch it unfold.

You can replace "yankee" schools with "schools nobody in Texas really cares about besides transients who may have gone to school at one of them", if it sounds better to you. The NFL is a different beast entirely, where players are drafted or follow paychecks and fans generally don't travel to road games. I think kids like staying and playing close to home... UT is evidence of that.

Then again, Texas has never been a conference that wasn't largely a regional conference, who knows how it would work out? It will be interesting to watch it unfold.

Disagree. Texas is a school that could fill their stadium WITHOUT the opposing team. Also, teams like Michigan, Ohio state, Penn state etc will draw interest anywhere they play. There is no risk of opponents being "irrelevant" to fans or media.

Just the same, I don't see the rest of the Big XII (or the TX legislature) letting this pass.

• Upvote 2

Disagree. Texas is a school that could fill their stadium WITHOUT the opposing team. Also, teams like Michigan, Ohio state, Penn state etc will draw interest anywhere they play. There is no risk of opponents being "irrelevant" to fans or media.

Just the same, I don't see the rest of the Big XII (or the TX legislature) letting this pass.

You're right about filling a stadium regardless of opponent. As for the rest, I could probably argue it both ways.

I think the ease of travel thing/regional rivals is the thing they'd miss out on most. But like you, I just don't see it happening regardless, which is why I believe this is mostly just the usual fill-the-off-season-with-what-ifs chatter.

YAY, we're all friends.

There's some smoke, but aTm has to go too per the Texas Legislature. Dodds doesn't think much of it at this point, either, from what I'm hearing. Too much travel cost involved for other than football/basketball, and women't sports would suffer. Sort of like UNT to WAC talk at this point, IMO.

Id love it to see them lose money with all of the travel and watch some of the programs suffer. But, it aint gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

The real question then boils down to state politics and whether or not A&M would have to go with them to the Big 10 to get it done in the legislatures eyes.

Good post. There is no way A&M leaves to join the Big 10. Back when Texas was eyeing a move to the Big 10, A&M was looking toward the SEC. Everybody--A&M, the Big 10, the SEC--would see that as a better fit. A&M would have little interest in joining the Big 10, and the Big 10 would not want them. Which are also factors which lower UT's likeliness of going to the Big 10.

Interesting. Would the Big12 go the way of the SWC if this were to happen?

I don't think so. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State would still be left to carry the confereence. I do think they would want to have 12 teams, so they could keep the championship game.

This blog has some interesting takes on why this isn't as far-fetched as some (myself) have thought... and why it would in fact be mutually beneficial for both parties.

I do find it intriguing to see what kind of massive realignment would take place if this happened.

One scenario posted is if Texas did in fact go to the Big Ten, would the Pac-10 then grab A&M and Colorado? Surely increase their footprint substantially while basically destroying the Big 12.