"let's Just Talk" Diplomacy

Just wondering what others might think about how that "let's just sit down and talk"diplomacy stuff has been working out for the current administration? You know, like getting Iran and North Korea to come to the table for serious negotiations over their nuclear programs? Today's WSJ has a nice article about how the Administration is falling back on President Bush's methods since that "talking" thing hasn't worked out too well.

But, I am sure there are those who think it's working out great. In fact...just what policy of the current administration is working well??? Job creation perhaps??? Deficits???? Closing down Gitmo???? Bringing justice to terrorists in civilian courts????? Spending and taxing???? But, I digress......

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 10

I wish we could create a bomb that would kill all living creatures on the planet that were not Christian Convservatives. Man now that would really solve all of our problems.

KILL the Left, Kill The children of Tehran. Kill the ones in power .... Kill the whales, Kill the Bills that help the Needy, Sowing the ideas of the capitalist Greedy!!! If you have a gun, get it loaded for the Right Cause!!! No more taxes for school lunches just one nation indivisible!!!One World ... where we have the bombs and ever nation falls in line...Sound good?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I see that so far no one has anything constructive to add? I guess the reality of the situation the nation finds itself in with this current administration is finally beginning to sink in to even some of the more ardent supporters. That, or perhaps folks are actually beginning to open their eyes to the reality of the situation. We can at least hope that is the case and build toward the 2010 mid-terms.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I wish we could create a bomb that would kill all living creatures on the planet that were not Christian Convservatives. Man now that would really solve all of our problems.

KILL the Left, Kill The children of Tehran. Kill the ones in power .... Kill the whales, Kill the Bills that help the Needy, Sowing the ideas of the capitalist Greedy!!! If you have a gun, get it loaded for the Right Cause!!! No more taxes for school lunches just one nation indivisible!!!One World ... where we have the bombs and ever nation falls in line...Sound good?

Case in point. Where did this come from? eelly, are you really this biased and jaded, and do you really have such hatred in your heart for folks who don't agree with your radical political views? Nerves a bit on edge this morning or what? You are kidding, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just wondering what others might think about how that "let's just sit down and talk"diplomacy stuff has been working out for the current administration? You know, like getting Iran and North Korea to come to the table for serious negotiations over their nuclear programs? Today's WSJ has a nice article about how the Administration is falling back on President Bush's methods since that "talking" thing hasn't worked out too well.

Isn't that the way diplomacy tends to work? You first make an effort at peaciful agreement, follow that up with assertive action, and then if the situation continues to escalate you resort to the use of force as a last resort?

We can't afford (so many different usages of that word intended) to continue to skip those first 2 steps.

• Upvote 2

Isn't that the way diplomacy tends to work? You first make an effort at peaciful agreement, follow that up with assertive action, and then if the situation continues to escalate you resort to the use of force as a last resort?

We can't afford (so many different usages of that word intended) to continue to skip those first 2 steps.

Absolutely...that's perhaps the reason you do not go back to step one when it has been tried and failed...more than once. No one has skipped the first two steps you mention and no one has gone to step three with Iran, N. Korea or Venezuela that I know of at this point. Seems the administration, in all its campaign glory, was all set on just sitting down and talking and the folks would certainly agree with everything and we would once again enter "peace in our time" la la land even when that strategy had failed so very badly many many times before. It worked as a campaign ploy, but the reality of leading is much different than campaign ploys and buzz words like "change". So many of the campaign "promises" have fallen by the wayside and so many of the realities of governing and leading are beginning to sink in with this administration. But, fast learners they are not.

Love the billboard recently erected in Minnesota. have you seen it? It's a photo of President Bush with the words; "Miss Me Yet"? Or, something to that effect. Pretty funny. While I was not a big fan of G. Bush (much to free with the spending, etc.) I do think the billboard is pretty funny. A sign of the times perhaps and a sign of the coming times for the 2010 mid-terms perhaps. We'll see, won't we all?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I see that so far no one has anything constructive to add? I guess the reality of the situation the nation finds itself in with this current administration is finally beginning to sink in to even some of the more ardent supporters. That, or perhaps folks are actually beginning to open their eyes to the reality of the situation. We can at least hope that is the case and build toward the 2010 mid-terms.

Not really, just whipped by you and those like you that keep bringing crap like this up ad nauseum. This administration is no worse than the last one. Give it up dude. This whole conversation is becoming a thrashing of the highest order. Your side will never agree with my side. Deal with that and move on please.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Not really, just whipped by you and those like you that keep bringing crap like this up ad nauseum. This administration is no worse than the last one. Give it up dude. This whole conversation is becoming a thrashing of the highest order. Your side will never agree with my side. Deal with that and move on please.

Pot calling kettle black. If you don't care for the political discussions...just don't reply. No need to add smart non-topical comments in threads you don't like. Just pass them by..no one needs smart remarks that add nothing to the conversation. It isn't hard...just don't reply...and keep from being "whipped" if you are that easy to whip. If the talk lands a little close to home, ignore it. Seems simple enough to me unless your point is to simply make some smart comment...if so...no problem, we'll understand full well where they come from. It's an open forum after all. "Your side" is always welcome to point out where you think "my side" might be so wrong. Reading the subtitle to this "non-athletic" thread might help you understand what gets posted here....something about not for the faint or weak...something like that.

Besides, MLB kicks off soon enough...so relax.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Pot calling kettle black. If you don't care for the political discussions...just don't reply. No need to add smart non-topical comments in threads you don't like. Just pass them by..no one needs smart remarks that add nothing to the conversation.

What about those of us that find the smart remarks more interesting/entertaining than the original topic?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

But, I am sure there are those who think it's working out great. In fact...just what policy of the current administration is working well??? Job creation perhaps??? Deficits???? Closing down Gitmo???? Bringing justice to terrorists in civilian courts????? Spending and taxing???? But, I digress......

When I saw this on the "Forums" page, under "Last Post Info", this was listed as "Let's Just Talk", To which I thought, "hey, cool", just kind of a conversation on the Eagles Nest forum, no political agenda maybe. Not. But I still think that would be a cool idea, sort of a virtual Jim's Diner.

• Upvote 1

When I saw this on the "Forums" page, under "Last Post Info", this was listed as "Let's Just Talk", To which I thought, "hey, cool", just kind of a conversation on the Eagles Nest forum, no political agenda maybe. Not. But I still think that would be a cool idea, sort of a virtual Jim's Diner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z66rDVkaK4w

No, she does not really see me; 'cause she sees her own reflection.

• Upvote 1

Classic, is this the article you first referenced?

Cheney's Revenge in the WSJ.

My linkhttp://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704022804575042112185849380.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_sections_opinion

Dick Cheney is not the most popular of politicians, but when he offered a harsh assessment of the Obama Administration's approach to terrorism last May, his criticism stung—so much that the President gave a speech the same day that was widely seen as a direct response. Though neither man would admit it, eight months later political and security realities are forcing Mr. Obama's antiterror policies ever-closer to the former Vice President's.
Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Honestly, at this point, I'm pretty ashamed at what the Republicans have done in regards to higher education in Texas, especially at my UNT, and I'm not even a Republican. But, I guess Governor Perry should be given a pass on his appointees, because he's only been in office for ten years, and needs another four to get things right.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2