Unt Hires Canales To Help Offense

Harry

I'm going to go ahead and predict that Riley will win the open QB competition in a landslide, and not just because of the above statement. What Riley lacks in size, he more than makes up for in leadership skills, intelligence and heart. He didn't always make the best decisions last year, but I'm hopeful Canales will be able to help Riley cut down on his mistakes and make additional adjustments to help Riley improve his game and stay out of harm's way. Not to reduce the athletic abilities of our other QBs, but I think Riley gives us the best opportunity to win. It's a pretty big accomplishment to rank #38 in the country in total offense when you play on a 2-10 team.

I'm afraid all of you that think the "open QB competition" announcement will result in Tune, Baine or Thompson starting are going to be in for a rude awakening. But, at least, you shouldn't be able to point the finger directly at Dodge for starting his son.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it, and I think we'll really see Dodge blossom in his Sophomore season with the addition of Stradford and Cole.

if i wasnt out of positive points....i would give you one

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go ahead and predict that Riley will win the open QB competition in a landslide, and not just because of the above statement. What Riley lacks in size, he more than makes up for in leadership skills, intelligence and heart. He didn't always make the best decisions last year, but I'm hopeful Canales will be able to help Riley cut down on his mistakes and make additional adjustments to help Riley improve his game and stay out of harm's way. Not to reduce the athletic abilities of our other QBs, but I think Riley gives us the best opportunity to win. It's a pretty big accomplishment to rank #38 in the country in total offense when you play on a 2-10 team.

I'm afraid all of you that think the "open QB competition" announcement will result in Tune, Baine or Thompson starting are going to be in for a rude awakening. But, at least, you shouldn't be able to point the finger directly at Dodge for starting his son.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it, and I think we'll really see Dodge blossom in his Sophomore season with the addition of Stradford and Cole.

+1

From what I have seen watching film of USF, is that the QB's were put in position to make easy reads and there was often a guy that created good seperation. There seems to be alot of rollouts and bootlegs with fakes and run/pass options for the QB. I for one think this will fit Riley perfectly, and think he will win the job hands down. Now lets just hope he can stay on the field.....

Edited by glick1980

The Canales hire takes a lot of pressure off of the father son deal for sure. Rodge reports to Coach Chico now.

The biggest problem now is little time before spring ball starts in which to mesh the current playbook with the new playcaller. Does Canales change the terminology or adapt his coaching to the current playbook?

I think he will do a ton of film watching from last season before spring ball to see exactly what he has to work with and where the short comings were. I hope he will see a need for a medium to long range passing game instead of the dink and dunk we've seen abused.

The biggest problem now is little time before spring ball starts in which to mesh the current playbook with the new playcaller. Does Canales change the terminology or adapt his coaching to the current playbook?

I think he will do a ton of film watching from last season before spring ball to see exactly what he has to work with and where the short comings were. I hope he will see a need for a medium to long range passing game instead of the dink and dunk we've seen abused.

This is where a coach really shows his stuff. If Canales is as good as advertised, then he'll look at the system and change as little as possible while getting more production out of what he has.

I read in another article that he uses tight ends. Do we have any of those things left on the team?

This is where a coach really shows his stuff. If Canales is as good as advertised, then he'll look at the system and change as little as possible while getting more production out of what he has.

I read in another article that he uses tight ends. Do we have any of those things left on the team?

I don't know how much he really uses a TE , if he does I guess it's more for blocking. USF only had 4 TEs on the roster last year and they combined for a grand total of just 7 catches for the whole season.

We have a good TE prospect who redshirted last year , Austin Fitzpatrick , but I would say he's more of a pass catching TE rather than blocker so it will be intersting to see how he is used in Canales' system

We have a good TE prospect who redshirted last year , Austin Fitzpatrick , but I would say he's more of a pass catching TE rather than blocker so it will be intersting to see how he is used in Canales' system

I would say you're right. When he signed, they portrayed him as a double-duty tight end/slot receiver. But good coaches not only recruit talent that fits their system, they adapt their system to fit the talent. If Fitzpatrick shows promise of being a top-notch pass catching TE, I would hope they would design some plays to get him the ball.

I think all of you are right, and wrong. It won't be what Canales does to tweak, overhaul or add to Dodge's system that will be the difference...it will be his ability to adapt mid-game, and more importantly mid-drive, that will lead to points and wins. Yes he'll improve the system but I think the refreshing new ability to recognize round hole and insert round peg will make us all happy.

• Upvote 2

Yes he'll improve the system but I think the refreshing new ability to recognize round hole and insert round peg will make us all happy.

Yep, that sort of thing has always made me happy in or out of football season! Glad to see there is something that makes you happy as well. I had my doubts! laugh.gif

I don't know how much he really uses a TE , if he does I guess it's more for blocking. USF only had 4 TEs on the roster last year and they combined for a grand total of just 7 catches for the whole season.

And how many did any tight end catch at North Texas, one? And how many attempts were there? I still think that most college spread system tight ends catch relatively few passes. I think the key is to get them the ball in situations that call for it, like a short pass into the corner of the end zone. Also, it sounds like Canales emphasizes blocking by receivers, which I think is a big part for a tight end.

Overall, rather than the number of passes that a tight end catches that makes their presence in an offense important, I would think that it's the mix of plays where they are on the field and the extent to which those plays achieved the desired result. Of course, some variety is called for, since you wouldn't want the presence of said tight end to signal the play always being a pass to the tight end(s), but there would be times you would want to be able to succeed in getting a yard or two for a first down, even if the opponent knows you're running behind a tight end.

That said, I do hope to see less predictability with our offense.