Is This A Touchdown?

FirefightnRick

I apologize this is blurry, but I think it's good enough for you to judge by. This was CMU's final td catch that gave them the lead with 1:12 remaining, forcing Troy to drive and tie with a field goal, sending the game into overtime. This catch was called on the field a touchdown, then reviewed. Afterwards, the call on the field remained as called. WHAT????????? The reciever's knee is clearly down a foot in front of the goal line as is the ball. The sideline judge hesitated for a good second or two before making the call and he blew it for sure but he's having to make a decision live. The replay judge is the one that completely blew it as he had the same view I'm showing here, only clearer. Had the goobs in the tv booth had any interest in this game at all they would have looked at it in slow motion while the play was being reviewed and noticed it was a bad call.

img_6430_500x375.jpg

img_6429_500x375.jpg

HORRIBLE!!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I watched that play on Tivo a bunch of times. At the point of your first picture, he didn't have control of the ball yet, so his knee being down didn't matter. He had to cradle the ball and keep it off the turf, which he did, and by that time was either over the goal line or extremely close to it.

I thought when he secured the ball that the tip nearest the end zone broke the plane. From this picture angle it appears to be out, but I'd hardly consider it indisputable evidence...had it been reviewed I have a hard time believing any of the replays I saw would've been definitive enough to over-turn a TD.

Also, the line judge didn't hesitate to call it a TD once he determined it was a catch, however he seemed to immediatly question his decision...look back and after he calls touch down he then raises his right arm and steps out to the 1 foot line as if he wants to spot the ball short.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

A TD is when the refs and replay officials say it is a TD! :lol::no: Hey, I didn't like the missed off-sides call in the Cotton Bowl either...some of the calls the refs have made during the bowl games have been pretty questionable (and I am being kind with that statement).

It's like when I ref soccer...if I say it's offsides, it's offsides...if I say it's a goal...well, it's a goal. I have 50% of the crowd agreeing with me all the time! :lol::lol::P

I "caught" that too............anybody with a good seeing-eye dog saw it too. But the goofy announcers dont need to be blind too !!!!

No, the announcers were too busy talking about tonight's Bama/tU game to focus on the game in front of them.

It was definitely a catch, there is no question about that. But his knee is down on the one.

I was also surprised they didn't spot the ball at the 1 ft. line after reviewing the replay.

But - good Lord that was a nice catch!

All in all - a very fun game to watch.