Dodge Is Back

Pen Yan Fan

This is absolutely the right decision at this time under the existing conditions and constraints IMO. I have consistently voiced this opinion in several threads since this brouhaha erupted.

Now is the time for all of us to either fish or cut bait; as for me, I'm going to fish.

Playtime is over! In my mind it is 7-5 or better OR heads must roll. Let's get behind the team next season and see what happens. Losing sucks, but no matter how much we try we will never play a game in the past. Let's dig in and demand wins in the future. I don't care what part of the schedule they come from as long as there are seven Ws when the curtain falls on next season.

This is absolutely the right decision at this time under the existing conditions and constraints IMO. I have consistently voiced this opinion in several threads since this brouhaha erupted.

Now is the time for all of us to either fish or cut bait; as for me, I'm going to fish.

Playtime is over! In my mind it is 7-5 or better OR heads must roll. Let's get behind the team next season and see what happens. Losing sucks, but no matter how much we try we will never play a game in the past. Let's dig in and demand wins in the future. I don't care what part of the schedule they come from as long as there are seven Ws when the curtain falls on next season.

Mark it, if this team wins 4 games next year, which would DOUBLE this year, Dodge will be back for a fifth year. You can say that it is 7-5 or heads will roll, but proven by a poll done a year or two ago, most said we should win way more than we did this year or heads should roll, and a poll just a week ago said that more than half on this board think Dodge should stay. If you are not going to make any changes after 5-31, then you are not going to make changes to a coaching staff that just doubled the win total of any of the three previous years.

Mark it, if this team wins 4 games next year, which would DOUBLE this year, Dodge will be back for a fifth year. You can say that it is 7-5 or heads will roll, but proven by a poll done a year or two ago, most said we should win way more than we did this year or heads should roll, and a poll just a week ago said that more than half on this board think Dodge should stay. If you are not going to make any changes after 5-31, then you are not going to make changes to a coaching staff that just doubled the win total of any of the three previous years.

This.

Say that against all odds and in the face of all statistical history, this thing wins 5 games next year. 5-7. That's DOUBLE the entire win total for his first three full seasons. Setting this stunning precedent of a 1-to-2 win increase being satisfactory, are you confident they'd run him out after 5-7? I'm sure as hell not, as amazing as that is.

That's a pretty optimistic prediction. With the current staff we will be lucky to finish 2-10.

You know, I know it is and that is what bothers me so much. My friends and family don't understand why I constantly get updates from a team that is 2-8 during a family thanksgiving deal during the Army game....but it's my school and I support it. I hate to see us do so bad, but I just haven't seen anything that supports a better prediction for next year.

On the bright side...this almost guarantees that Dunbar finishes his career at UNT. One more year here and he'd only have one year (after sitting out one) left if he transferred to an FBS school. I'd guess that's kind of unlikely.

So, in a way, we just locked up our best player! :)

As for next season, we're (season ticket holders) kind of between a rock and a hard place. With the new stadium only a year away and after hearing that the AD will honor current season ticket holders for first requests in the new stadium....kind of makes it hard to drop them for the 2010 season. I never thought the day would come when I seriously considered not renewing.....

I think RV has done some pretty great things for this school, but it is becoming obvious that his decision making ability on hirings and firings, and how to handle hirings and firings, is severely lacking.

RV has tied himself to the Dodge ship. If what I expect happens next year (a 2 win season), Rv should be gone.

As far as how I feel about this program at this point in time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GytyF0w9BL4

The setting is soooooooo appropriate.

As for next season, we're (season ticket holders) kind of between a rock and a hard place. With the new stadium only a year away and after hearing that the AD will honor current season ticket holders for first requests in the new stadium....kind of makes it hard to drop them for the 2010 season. I never thought the day would come when I seriously considered not renewing.....

After another failed season do you really see this as a problem ? Sure there will be excitement about a new stadium , but other than the very 1st game ( maybe not even that ) I highly doubt that attendence will be soooo good that you have to have season tickets in order to get in the gate.

Edited by NT03

On the bright side...this almost guarantees that Dunbar finishes his career at UNT. One more year here and he'd only have one year (after sitting out one) left if he

After a 2 win season next year, you will be able to walk up to the ticket window on opening day 2011 an hour before game time and get tickets in the equivilent of what is now section E. Mark my words.

On the bright side...this almost guarantees that Dunbar finishes his career at UNT. One more year here and he'd only have one year (after sitting out one) left if he transferred to an FBS school. I'd guess that's kind of unlikely.

And these leads to one of the two things I'd love to see but don't expect any chance of as we try to ignore the horizon getting closer in our flaming flat spin next season.....

1) Dunbar gets 20 carries a game, regardless of if he's been bottled up in the first half or what kind of front we're seeing. If he needs a rest, we give extra carries to Hamilton, Mosley, etc... but we keep it on the ground, and we feed Dunbar as much as he can take it. We commit to running the ball and stick to it without abandoning things at the first sign of adversity or trying to "outsmart" anyone. Dunbar is a big play back, and if you can endure a few 1 yard runs, he'll usually reward you by ripping off big chunks and long TDs. Plus, he's not a fumbler, and perhaps most importantly this shortens the game. We'll be underdogs in all or all but one or two of our games this year, and will be at a talent deficit in many and a coaching deficit in all of our games. Running the ball, working the clock, keeping the defense off the field while relying on your most reliable and explosive player?!? What a novel concept!!!

2) PIPE DREAM ALERT - There's an open competition at QB. Period. I don't know if Nathan Tune is even here next year, but either way, there is no "assumed" QB going into next year. I know there is zero chance of this happening, but i can dream. Given the crappy lot we're dealt, I just hope somehow The Chosen One can spend 6 days a week in the weight room and throwing, because we need a serious improvement in arm strength.

That being said, I'm confident there's not another coach in all of FBS against whom we'd have a strategic advantage or even be even with.... and no consecutive TO's, burned redshirts, shotguns inside the 1, or missed PATs surprise me anymore.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

In my reasoning, mature players and new/newly eligible players plus coaching continuity will translate into that seven-win expectation. Many of you see just the record in isolation and therefore don't believe there can be that much improvement. I see the washtub full of boneheaded plays, strategic mistakes, ill-timed penalties and assorted f-ups that cost us so dearly this season and I cannot believe that our coaching staff and players will not grow during this offseason and correct some of that crap.

Our motto could be "Seven and five if you want to survive!".

Are you referring to

A) Attendance

B. Mean Green Club

C) North Texas fans after another year of irrelevancy

D) RV's career

E) The football program at UNT

F) All the above

Well?

G) Player abandonment, I wonder how many will leave this sinking ship?

• Upvote 1

And these leads to one of the two things I'd love to see but don't expect any chance of as we try to ignore the horizon getting closer in our flaming flat spin next season.....

1) Dunbar gets 20 carries a game, regardless of if he's been bottled up in the first half or what kind of front we're seeing. If he needs a rest, we give extra carries to Hamilton, Mosley, etc... but we keep it on the ground, and we feed Dunbar as much as he can take it. We commit to running the ball and stick to it without abandoning things at the first sign of adversity or trying to "outsmart" anyone. Dunbar is a big play back, and if you can endure a few 1 yard runs, he'll usually reward you by ripping off big chunks and long TDs. Plus, he's not a fumbler, and perhaps most importantly this shortens the game. We'll be underdogs in all or all but one or two of our games this year, and will be at a talent deficit in many and a coaching deficit in all of our games. Running the ball, working the clock, keeping the defense off the field while relying on your most reliable and explosive player?!? What a novel concept!!!

2) PIPE DREAM ALERT - There's an open competition at QB. Period. I don't know if Nathan Tune is even here next year, but either way, there is no "assumed" QB going into next year. I know there is zero chance of this happening, but i can dream. Given the crappy lot we're dealt, I just hope somehow The Chosen One can spend 6 days a week in the weight room and throwing, because we need a serious improvement in arm strength.

That being said, I'm confident there's not another coach in all of FBS against whom we'd have a strategic advantage or even be even with.... and no consecutive TO's, burned redshirts, shotguns inside the 1, or missed PATs surprise me anymore.

You got "Pipe Dream" right. :D

Just because there were no changes in assistants now does not mean there will be none before the Spring. I suspect there will be some changes of titles and probably a new face or two.

This will have to be my one ray of sunshine. I will hope.

In my reasoning, mature players and new/newly eligible players plus coaching continuity will translate into that seven-win expectation. Many of you see just the record in isolation and therefore don't believe there can be that much improvement. I see the washtub full of boneheaded plays, strategic mistakes, ill-timed penalties and assorted f-ups that cost us so dearly this season and I cannot believe that our coaching staff and players will not grow during this offseason and correct some of that crap.

This would resonate better with me if I hadn't seen the EXACT SAME THINGS the previous two seasons. My expectations of the coaching staff "growing" or "figuring anything out" have long since vanished.

We're at an appreciable strategic and game management disadvantage in every single game, before we even step on the field. Period. It's a hard hill to climb.

El Guapo has better things to do than support insanity.

El Guapo is riding off into the desert.

Todge may be this program's El Guapo.

Ill still have season tix, but I will be wearing a cup so the kicks to the crotch don't hurt as much. Ill probably be spending alot of time on the Hospitality Deck as well.