Dodge Is Back

Pen Yan Fan

And these leads to one of the two things I'd love to see but don't expect any chance of as we try to ignore the horizon getting closer in our flaming flat spin next season.....

1) Dunbar gets 20 carries a game, regardless of if he's been bottled up in the first half or what kind of front we're seeing. If he needs a rest, we give extra carries to Hamilton, Mosley, etc... but we keep it on the ground, and we feed Dunbar as much as he can take it. We commit to running the ball and stick to it without abandoning things at the first sign of adversity or trying to "outsmart" anyone. Dunbar is a big play back, and if you can endure a few 1 yard runs, he'll usually reward you by ripping off big chunks and long TDs. Plus, he's not a fumbler, and perhaps most importantly this shortens the game. We'll be underdogs in all or all but one or two of our games this year, and will be at a talent deficit in many and a coaching deficit in all of our games. Running the ball, working the clock, keeping the defense off the field while relying on your most reliable and explosive player?!? What a novel concept!!!

2) PIPE DREAM ALERT - There's an open competition at QB. Period. I don't know if Nathan Tune is even here next year, but either way, there is no "assumed" QB going into next year. I know there is zero chance of this happening, but i can dream. Given the crappy lot we're dealt, I just hope somehow The Chosen One can spend 6 days a week in the weight room and throwing, because we need a serious improvement in arm strength.

Sadly, I totally agree with #2. In fact, it's even MORE critical that we have a QB that can get the ball downfield if Stradford and Cole are as advertised. I love Riley's overall moxy and ability to keep plays alive, but if he can't hit a receiver further than 20 yards downfield then he can't really run this offense. Ideally, we'd have a guy who can do both----run and pass. If we're ever going to run that offense that TD mentioned at the start of the season (West Virginia and Oregon), we've GOT to be able to throw it down field to keep teams from loading up the box and run blitzing all game.

Do we have any kind of information on how badly injured Riley's arm is? If he's out a significant amount of time in the offseason and cannot lift, it'll be a huge disappointment.

....oh, almost forgot!

3) Spend however much time and energy that is required to FIX OUR FIELD GOAL KICKING!!!! @#$*!!!!!!!

Edited by TIgreen01

Sadly, I totally agree with #2. In fact, it's even MORE critical that we have a QB that can get the ball downfield if Stradford and Cole are as advertised. I love Riley's overall moxy and ability to keep plays alive, but if he can't hit a receiver further than 20 yards downfield then he can't really run this offense. Ideally, we'd have a guy who can do both----run and pass. If we're ever going to run that offense that TD mentioned at the start of the season (West Virginia and Oregon), we've GOT to be able to throw it down field to keep teams from loading up the box and run blitzing all game.

Do we have any kind of information on how badly injured Riley's arm is? If he's out a significant amount of time in the offseason and cannot lift, it'll be a huge disappointment.

....oh, almost forgot!

3) Spend however much time and energy that is required to FIX OUR FIELD GOAL KICKING!!!! @#$*!!!!!!!

According to Todge, he is quoted in the paper a few articles back as saying that Riley should be back for spring practice.

As for #3: probably not. 3 years later we still have the same issues and now we have no staff changes, so I don't expect that much will be done there.