Moments Of Epic Brain Lock I Can't Begin To Explain.

CaribbeanGreen

tonight wasn't todge's fault, it was rodge's.....3 ints, 1 fumble! this is becoming normal for him. it sucks that he is such a great scrambler and does wonderful things with his legs, when he doesn't fumble.

Not to target you specifically, because I agree that R Dodge was a lot to blame for this loss, but can we really say that this isn't a coaching loss? If a QB is throwing a lot of picks and is making freshman mistakes, shouldn't the coach step in and sub his junior QB in and remove the freshman mistakes from the equation? He has a QB sitting on the sideline that has proven, against some of the best talent we have seen this year, that he can play a game without turning the ball over and manage the game. He also has a bigger arm and is very capable of throwing down field. And is it not the coaches decision to put the game in the hands of the freshman QB when in a short yardage situation while playing with a lead? Why did we keep passing with a QB that was obviously not accurate instead of running with a back that has been hot all season? Why did Dunbar not have more touches? These are all things that the coach makes the decision on, and that never seemed to be the decision. This is why I blame the coach and why I doubt his ability to lead this team into the future.

It’s very frustrating because once again we lose in the closing minutes in a game we statistically dominated.

Having said that, it's the same mistakes over and over.

I do think that we will have a more experienced team next year which should cut out some of the mistakes but I just don't think RD's arm strength is going to change. Thus, I'm forced to agree with the statement that RD’s mistakes become TD’s mistakes at some point.

I also don't understand the decision to limit Dunbar's carriers??????

What were they thinking?????

Man, I actually DID have a sense of foreboding about that FG attempt, but I think it was maybe the missed PAT and the short kickoff after Dunbar broke that long touchdown run. I don't put the blocked FG all on the kicker though; we haven't been blocking well for punts and placekicks for a while now. Also, the Army guy made a great play there. I still say teams are seeing something in our kicking game that they can exploit; once the first punt got blocked (Middle Tennessee)? It's been a recurring nightmare.

And hey, gomeangreen1999, were you at the FB game?

Thankfully no, but listening to it was bad enough. We had a family deal in West Texas.

Worst in-game coaching I have seen at the collegiate level in my entire life. Period.

Lance Dunbar being essentially ignored - he averaged 10 yds per carry on 13 attempts.

on 3rd and 1, with a chance to essentially ice the game, all the momentum, and Dunbar literally unstoppable -- you run a meek little sweep for Riley, who goes down easily in the backfield and almost fumbles the thing yet again. Dunbar was a decoy.

Immediately after this, you take a TO to debate your next move - makes sense, because you've been unable to recruit even a below adequate kicker in three years - and apparently decide to go for it. You send the offense back out, your QB - and son - begin SCREAMING at you, arms flailing, because they have no clue what to do. YOU CALL ANOTHER TIME OUT. Army players are looking at each other like they can't believe what's happening.

Then, you send out the worst kicker in football, who does exactly what's expected and gets the kick blocked (after just missing yet another PAT).

Earlier in the game, mind you, you got a delay of game penalty COMING OUT OF A TIME OUT. This was the most inept use of three time outs in the history of organized sport.

Then, to compound things, Army is forced to punt w/ 12 seconds to go. Time to rush it, or at least run one more play from decent field position. YOU DON'T BOTHER CATCHING THE PUNT. Army players again look at each other and begin laughing incredulously as the sit around and watch the ball wobble to a stop while the game clock expires.

I've often thought we overrated the talent on this team, but today, I saw things differently. We were better than Army at almost every position, and literally seemed to TRY to give the thing away. Our coach IS Vic Trilli. Period. We talk about wanting to turn things around, learning curves, etc. - but what Pop Warner coach makes the mistakes that Football Trilli made today?

Who can defend the fact that HE CAN'T COACH?!? Have you EVER felt we outcoached somebody? Do you really think there's ANY chance of that happening? Do you not sense the impending doom of seemingly GIVING games away?

He is Vic Trill the second coming.

Dodge gambled with the all out punt block. I think percentages are probably better for a blocked punt than a return for touchdown. Still, you can run punt block and still have a single return man to field teh kick. May not get much with the blocking scheme waived for the rush.

• Upvote 1

tonight wasn't todge's fault, it was rodge's.....3 ints, 1 fumble! this is becoming normal for him. it sucks that he is such a great scrambler and does wonderful things with his legs, when he doesn't fumble.

While I don't disagree with this post, I have to point out that if we had a kicker who could manage to score extra points and put chip-shot field goals throught he uprights, we'd have won that game last night. ...just sayin'.

Dodge gambled with the all out punt block. I think percentages are probably better for a blocked punt than a return for touchdown. Still, you can run punt block and still have a single return man to field teh kick. May not get much with the blocking scheme waived for the rush.

No problem with the block being on, but did we not still have a guy deep that just ignored the ball? Thought we did, correct me if i'm wrong.

I'll add this about the play of the game, the third and short disaster: On third and one, you give it to the best player on your offense - the RB averaging TEN YARDS PER CARRY to get one yard. If he doesn't get it somehow, you give it to him again on fourth down. If by miracles of miracles he is stopped twice for less than a yard, you have taken almost two minutes off the clock and left a terrible offense with no confidence little time and 85 yards to go.

How could this be so much as DEBATED?!?

Again, I don't worry about Football Trilli's recruiting. I worry about the fact that I'm convinced there's not a coach in the FBS that wouldn't outcoach him.

I'll add this about the play of the game, the third and short disaster: On third and one, you give it to the best player on your offense - the RB averaging TEN YARDS PER CARRY to get one yard. If he doesn't get it somehow, you give it to him again on fourth down. If by miracles of miracles he is stopped twice for less than a yard, you have taken almost two minutes off the clock and left a terrible offense with no confidence little time and 85 yards to go.

Again, I don't worry about Football Trilli's recruiting. I worry about the fact that I'm convinced there's not a coach in the FBS that wouldn't outcoach him.

I am worried about the people on here that want to debate it.

But 99, have you really seen someone tangibly debate this yet? Because I haven't.

Nope. None. I didn't watch the game, but did listen to it and at the time was like, "oh we are going to give it to Dunbar here and finally get over the 2 win hump."

Over the last three years there have been so many things that just leave me scratching my head. If we went out and brought in 20 Five star recruits this off season it might get us one more win but who knows.

Nope. None. I didn't watch the game, but did listen to it and at the time was like, "oh we are going to give it to Dunbar here and finally get over the 2 win hump."

Over the last three years there have been so many things that just leave me scratching my head. If we went out and brought in 20 Five star recruits this off season it might get us one more win but who knows.

Exactly. Say by some statistical miracle this thing turns it around and Pigskin Vic stays.... do you have confidence that we will have a strategical/adjustment advantage in ANY potential imaginary "big"game in the future?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

While I don't disagree with this post, I have to point out that if we had a kicker who could manage to score extra points and put chip-shot field goals throught he uprights, we'd have won that game last night. ...just sayin'.

Or if we'd scored on at least one of those 5 turnovers we had inside the 20, we would have won.... Just sayin'

Well, unless you were rooting for an Army win, you didn't miss much. I just wanted to make that clear.

Exactly. Say by some statistical miracle this thing turns it around and Pigskin Vic stays.... do you have confidence that we will have a strategical/adjustment advantage in ANY potential imaginary "big"game in the future?

I don't. In fact, we could be up by 20 next week and as down as that ASU team is, we will still find a way to lose.

If the Army player hadn't made a fantastic shoestring tackle you guys would be singing a different tune this weekend.

Or, to have one or two more plays, tell the returner to fair catch the punt. We'd have had maybe six or seven seconds and the ball. A long shot to score in one play, yes...but a long shot is better than no shot at all, which is what we got for letting the punt roll down the field.

But, what do I know...I'm not a coach.

If the Army player hadn't made a fantastic shoestring tackle you guys would be singing a different tune this weekend.

If we didn't have 5 turnovers too ,

If Ali didn't drop the for sure wide open TD in the 1st quarter ,

If we had a play under center ,

If we could kick a FG ,

If I had 6 out of 6 numbers in lotto

If we weren't 5 - 31

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

If we didn't have 5 turnovers too ,

If Ali didn't drop the for sure wide open TD in the 1st quarter ,

If we had a play under center ,

If we could kick a FG ,

If I had 6 out of 6 numbers in lotto

If we weren't 5 - 31

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

If we had a new coach.

If we had better recruits.

If we had a new defensive coordinator.

If we had a new special teams/dline coach.

If we had better facilities.

If we had coaches who were nice to fans.

If we had a team without discipline and grade problems.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

If we had a new coach

If we had better recruits.

If we had a new defensive coordinator.

If we had a new special teams/dline coach.

If we had better facilities.

If we had coaches who were nice to fans.

If we had a team without discipline and grade problems.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

We would probably win

We do and we still can't win

TD is the one who brought in DeLoach

TD is the one who brought in ST/DL coach

We do

Because everyone would prefer to have nice guys over wins

Several recruits have not qualified & Dodge kept 2 players that I know who had run in w/ the law allowed back on the team

TD is a nice guy and he has his guys doing better in the classroom I agree , but at the end of the day people want WINS. If I wanted to root for a nice guy I'd go cheer on my churches flag football team

Edited by NT03

We would probably win

We do and we still can't win

TD is the one who brought in DeLoach

TD is the one who brought in ST/DL coach

We do

Because everyone would prefer to have nice guys over wins

Several recruits have not qualified & Dodge kept 2 players that I know who had run in w/ the law allowed back on the team

TD is a nice guy and he has his guys doing better in the classroom I agree , but at the end of the day people want WINS. If I wanted to root for a nice guy I'd go cheer on my churches flag football team

These are all things you guys have said during TD's tenure and before. If we have a new coach, we are very likely to be in the same boat or worse, three years behind where we are now.