I Am Sure Half Of You Have A Problem With This Too

---Socialized medicine...?? It hasn't passed and no bill has been written. ....... and you have numbers for it.... interesting... One thing you tend to forget..the GOP tends to vote in lock-step... the Democrats don't and are more independent thinking and don't just support everything they are asked to support. .... there is a lot of opposition to it.

GOP in lock step? PLEASE tell that to McCain and his band of merry NE liberals! And yes, by the time it is all said and done, socalized medicine will cost around 3 trillion. You'll be told 1.5 to 2 trillion. And it is absolutely coming this session.

Look, I am a conservative, not a republican. Please don't spout obvious liberal views (the dead giveaway is the whole "lied about the war" BS) and then claim to be a moderate.

This is so true. I've said all along it would be the southern and midwestern Democrats that would have to save us from much of the bilge he wants to push on the country. He's finding that you can't just do what you want simply because you sit in the Oval Office and your party "has the numbers."

Interesting. I was just down in Southeast Texas vacationing at some of the state parks. When I went through Woodville, I saw all kinds of signs referring to this guy:

Allan Shivers (remember the "Shivercrats"?)

It seems like he did a lot of good things, especially if you're a UT alum. I still disagree with the Southern Conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, for their stand against desegregation.

McCain voted with Bush like 9 out 10 times tho? Going back a little further he usually voted with the GOP against Clinton too.

You do realize Bush pissed of the Republican base quite often, right? Bush was NOT a conservative. If it weren't for 9/11, he would have had a tough time rallying Republicans in 2004 based on his domestic record.

McCain voting with Bush is not exactly a statement of possessing a conservative pedigree.

One thing you tend to forget..the GOP tends to vote in lock-step... the Democrats don't and are more independent thinking and don't just support everything they are asked to support

Republicans are borg drones and Democrats are free-thinkers? Hilarious, really.

When was the last time you watched a pro-life speaker in prime time at the Democratic Convention? In fact, can you name a pro-life Democrat with any significant pull in the party? By contrast, two pro-choice speakers were not only given prime time slots at the GOP convention, they were presidential candidates. The current chairman of the GOP is a pro-choice black man.

Can you name a Democrat Senator who consistently votes with Republicans? I can't. But there are three GOP Senators (Collins, Specter [now a Democrat], and Snowe) who are liberal Republicans and often vote against the party line. McCain votes against the party a lot.

Edited by UNTflyer

You do realize Bush pissed of the Republican base quite often, right? Bush was NOT a conservative. If it weren't for 9/11, he would have had a tough time rallying Republicans in 2004 based on his domestic record.

McCain voting with Bush is not exactly a statement of possessing a conservative pedigree.

Depends on what part of the party you're speaking of, I know my grandfather sure loved the guy(Bush).

Interesting. I was just down in Southeast Texas vacationing at some of the state parks. When I went through Woodville, I saw all kinds of signs referring to this guy:

Allan Shivers (remember the "Shivercrats"?)

It seems like he did a lot of good things, especially if you're a UT alum. I still disagree with the Southern Conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, for their stand against desegregation.

Sadly, all desegregation has done is re-segregate - white flight. You can't make people do what they don't want to do in a representative democracy. That's why social legislation rarely works as intended. People just opt out.

I could care less. I'm married to a full blood Mexican. However, when we looked for houses, we looked in the far north suburbs of Allen, McKinney, Lucas and Frisco. Neither one of us wanted anything to do with Dallas County or any city in it. Everything is black versus white and hispanic versus white. So small minded. Dallas County taxpayers have their money basically wasted and stolen in every form imaginable down there.

Anyway, regarding Shivers, he was very generous to one of the children's hospitals in Dallas. Whatever faults he may have had to some, he wasn't stingy to those in need.

Sadly, all desegregation has done is re-segregate - white flight. You can't make people do what they don't want to do in a representative democracy. That's why social legislation rarely works as intended. People just opt out.

I could care less. I'm married to a full blood Mexican. However, when we looked for houses, we looked in the far north suburbs of Allen, McKinney, Lucas and Frisco. Neither one of us wanted anything to do with Dallas County or any city in it. Everything is black versus white and hispanic versus white. So small minded. Dallas County taxpayers have their money basically wasted and stolen in every form imaginable down there.

Anyway, regarding Shivers, he was very generous to one of the children's hospitals in Dallas. Whatever faults he may have had to some, he wasn't stingy to those in need.

Thanks for the input. I can understand better now why he is still such a hero to some, especially in Southeast Texas.