So do we.

And Britain, and France, and Russia, and India, and Pakistan, and Israel and perhaps Iran (sooner or later). What's the point of your statement? Are you suggesting that since the U.S. has this ability it's OK and maybe a good thing that NK does too?

Keith

So do we.

That's mean ... but morbidly funny.

--Anytime "they" complain about what happened in Aug 1945, just remind them about Pearl Harbour and especially "Bataan" and the details of the march that took place there...

And Britain, and France, and Russia, and India, and Pakistan, and Israel and perhaps Iran (sooner or later). What's the point of your statement? Are you suggesting that since the U.S. has this ability it's OK and maybe a good thing that NK does too?

Keith

I am sure he was refering to the fact that we could take out major cities in Japan also.... Obviously you weren't alive during or soon after WWII or would have immediately caught on what he meant .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I am sure he was refering to the fact that we could take out major cities in Japan also.... Obviously you weren't alive during or soon after WWII or would have immediately caught on what he meant .

I think almost every literate person on the planet knows the U.S. is the world's dominant nuclear power and has been for the last 60 years. We *could* take out a lot more than just major cities in Japan if we wanted to. So to simply reiterate a fact that everyone already knows seems pointless.

Keith

Why?

For some strange reason the UN doesn't want it either...

"The council statement said a nuclear test would "jeopardize peace, stability and security in the region and beyond" and "bring universal condemnation by the international community." "

Not that I think the UN is the greatest organization but....

Oh yeah, I also think that Kim Jong-il is insane

Why?

Because you even ask that question gives me real pause to question. If you see no difference between NK and western powers that hold nukes I am truly dismayed. I do so hope you asked that question simply to keep the discussion going and "bring out" some other GMG.com'ers who might be a bit more vocal on the issue.

Because you even ask that question gives me real pause to question. If you see no difference between NK and western powers that hold nukes I am truly dismayed. I do so hope you asked that question simply to keep the discussion going and "bring out" some other GMG.com'ers who might be a bit more vocal on the issue.

I'm kinda stirring the pot...but I do have to ask again, who is the only country to actually use them?

And, if I'm NK, where is my motivation to disarm? I've already seen these western powers invade two sovereign nations in the past decade, and I know they don't like me either. These weapons are the only thing I've got that could keep another "liberating force" at bay. Well, and I don't have much oil.

And since now I'm going to be pegged as being pro-NK...I might as well at least get it on the record that I'm not for NK having nukes...just as much as I'm not for England, France, India, Pakistan, Israel, Iran or the United States having them either.

Oh yeah, I also think that Kim Jong-il is insane

If I'm to believe some of the posts, our leader is a meglomaniac with a God complex whose programs have already been likened to Hitler. Doesn't sound like the kinda man who should have control over nukes either.

If I'm to believe some of the posts, our leader is a meglomaniac with a God complex whose programs have already been likened to Hitler. Doesn't sound like the kinda man who should have control over nukes either.

The Non-UNT Sports board has looked alot like a Rush Limbaugh radio show forum lately, hasn't it?

Why?

The UK is less likely to do something stupid with its nuclear weapons. I don't like anyone having them, but if I absolutely have to, I'd rather our friends have them than His Sovereign Grace Good Hair, Kim Jong Il.

Kim Jong Il is actually what a nutcase politician looks like, acts like, and is, despite what some on this board seem to think. He's an actual dictator, he wasn't elected, wasn't ever elected, and has actually brainwashed and manipulated his own citizens.

I dont think anyone should have them, but definitely not someone like Kim Jong. And in regards to obama, there are, in theroy, more check and balances to ensure he doesnt go postal.

The UK is less likely to do something stupid with its nuclear weapons. I don't like anyone having them, but if I absolutely have to, I'd rather our friends have them than His Sovereign Grace Good Hair, Kim Jong Il.

Kim Jong Il is actually what a nutcase politician looks like, acts like, and is, despite what some on this board seem to think. He's an actual dictator, he wasn't elected, wasn't ever elected, and has actually brainwashed and manipulated his own citizens.

I had a girlfriend that taught in S. Korea for a year. SHe told me that N. Korean State Radio would broadcast Kim Jong II golf score some mornings. It was always 18...on 18 holes. Hole in one every time. He''s just a little crazy.

I had a girlfriend that taught in S. Korea for a year. SHe told me that N. Korean State Radio would broadcast Kim Jong II golf score some mornings. It was always 18...on 18 holes. Hole in one every time. He''s just a little crazy.

I grew up around Ft. Hood, so as you can guess, we have our share of South Koreans. Some of them were actually escapees from across the DMZ, and they told me about some strange things seen on posters, heard on the radio, and said about him in public. They really do have a full-scale personality cult built around him. This is a result of 2 things: a literal and constant barrage of propaganda, and the fact that basically no outside media of any kind finds its way into NK either because it's all intercepted or because those in NK have no way to access it.

It's something like what you see in Africa's conflict regions and in some of the recruiting elements of Islamic terrorism. It's a lot of misinformation and people being ignorant and uneducated and therefore unable to find out anything contrary to what they hear from recruiters.

That is absolutely true. I was very amused up at the DMZ, both sides have these huge speakers blaring propaganda at the other side. The North says something along the lines of, "Hey! South Korean soldiers! Come join us in the North! The Dear Leader has provided us with too much meat and we can't eat all of it! Won't you come help us eat it?"

From wiki:

Also an apparent golfer, North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round.[86]His official biography also claims Kim has composed six operas and enjoys staging elaborate musicals.
Edited by oldguystudent

My congratulations to the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations in standing by and letting North Korea go nuke. Our tax payer dollars were well spent on the 'diplomacy with North Korea relative to nuclear arms'.

My congratulations to the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations in standing by and letting North Korea go nuke. Our tax payer dollars were well spent on the 'diplomacy with North Korea relative to nuclear arms'.

They might have some nuclear material, but they sure as hell don't have any nuclear weapons capability. They have yet to even produce a working conventional missile. The North's main strength lies in its standing military, which outnumbers the South's military by about four to one. Their perceived strength lies in remnant memories of the old USSR backing them with money and weapons. The resources just aren't there anymore.

The real great hope of the North is that that US will piss off the South enough one day to get thrown out of the country. There is already lots of periodic Yankee go Home rhetoric in the South. If this happens, well, let me just say that if you go into the war museum in Seoul and read the English language documents they have on display, you'll see the phrases "South Korean soldier" and "running away" in the same sentence quite a bit. This was a description of the south before they had money, status, and LG televisions. Take a bunch of fat, happy kids living high on South Korea's massive economic development and throw them up against a million strong army of hungry, brainwashed Northern soldiers, and it won't be pretty.

However, as long as you've got the US military bases pointing really large guns to the north, Kim Jong Il just ain't that stupid. He's crazy and delusional, but he ain't that stupid. The international saber rattling is, in my opinion, nothing more than another facet of his domestic cult of personality. It also works wonders in getting South Korea, Japan, and the U.S. to send him top ramen. I can see the comercials on North Korean television right now. "Mmmm!!! Top Ramen!!! Better than rocks and weeds!"

Honestly, the real hope of both sides of the peninsula is that the US will leave and they can settle their differences once and for all, thus becoming a unified country again that is capable of taking over Asia and then the world. Very jingoistic group those Koreans. The part the US realizes is that the ideologies of North and South have split so dramatically to opposite ends of the spectrum, that unifying the peninsula really ain't gonna' be done without one side violently forcing its ways on the other. Like capitalism, it would all eventually find equilibrium, but the short term would get awfully ugly.

ETA -- When it comes to human rights violations, Iraq and Afghanistan ain't got nothin' on North Korea. Why have the world morality police that is the US military not done anything about that? Given our recent track record, for those salivating to send troops into Korea, the whole human rights mantra would be a far easier door to open than the tin can nuclear weapons they supposedly have. That whole strategy of finding big bombs went real well for us earlier in the decade, didn't it?

Edited by oldguystudent