Not Impressed

meanrob

I've said this for the past few years, you can tell nothing from a spring game. The D knows the O sets, plays, etc. The O is going to stay pretty basic because it is concern about execution of basics from which they build everything from. If the D dominates, you're worried about your O. If the O dominates, you're worried about your D. Just go to the game, be happy it's football in Spring, and take it for what it is.

My point exactly. Had a great time watching some spring football and enjoying the stadium tailgate announcement. If you went to the game expecting to see the "offense" for the fall you weny away "unhappy". Too bad. Sure it was a bit "off" the way things developed, but there were some really nice hits being given and the defense did show some nice things. I was looking for that snap from under center! Ha! My wife and I had a very good time being part of this event...sorry some folks expected more than what a spring game normally delivers. having graduated from three different universities and attending fourth, I've seen a few spring games at different places in my time...they are always a bit "strange" in my opinion. So, I go to enjoy being there and being part of the day...it's fun. I never expect much in the way of "new and exciting" from a spring game.

GO MEAN GREEN!

My point exactly. Had a great time watching some spring football and enjoying the stadium tailgate announcement. If you went to the game expecting to see the "offense" for the fall you weny away "unhappy". Too bad. Sure it was a bit "off" the way things developed, but there were some really nice hits being given and the defense did show some nice things. I was looking for that snap from under center! Ha! My wife and I had a very good time being part of this event...sorry some folks expected more than what a spring game normally delivers. having graduated from three different universities and attending fourth, I've seen a few spring games at different places in my time...they are always a bit "strange" in my opinion. So, I go to enjoy being there and being part of the day...it's fun. I never expect much in the way of "new and exciting" from a spring game.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I actually just wanted to see improvement from the d. And I believe I came away with that. The first drive of the game when we scored was bittersweet. I didn't like how they just walked down the field at will. I was happy seeing the D step up.

I take the spring game for what it is.... a spring game. I really don't think we should have that many expectations going into a spring game and just enjoy a football fix.

I guess it shocked me a little, but it just gives more credance to what Lonnie has said for the last two years, that our head coach still seems to be a little lost. We have won 3 games in the last two years and we don't want to show "too much" in our spring game?

You know, when the offense did not light it up so to speak in Dodge's first spring game, everybody thought it was a good idea to not show much offensively. Guess it still would be if we were winning. That said, I did not expect to see much more of a running game, but it seems to me you would want to at least throw several balls downfield. I was disappointed about that.

Well let's see. TCU has been to bowl games (most of them very credible bowls in the eyes of the general public) just about every year since Coach Fran was there....including a win over SC in the Sun Bowl. Now if ANYONE in the metroplex has something to hide (so as not to lose their edge) it's TCU.

I guess your point is that since Dodge hasn't started winning here yet, he is not entitled too nor should he take measures that are similar to other winning programs? Huh?

Edited by chrisfisher

I think it says a lot that what i'm reading is a bunch of reasons/excuses of why the game was so lackluster instead of reading about how certain individual players looked.

I always thought the spring game was practice under "game" conditions, not a show off session for the fans or a way to get a football fix.

Either way, it failed on both counts.

I guess your point is that since Dodge hasn't started winning here yet, he is not entitled too nor should he take measures that are similar to other winning programs? Huh?

What I'm saying is that coach Dodge better worry more about the fans maintaining (or increasing) their interest in the product rather than playing cold war-like paranoid games with his opponents. As if he's done anything to fool them so far.

I like the old days when spring games were actually conducted like a real game. You're not going to get a lot of spirit from a game that is basically a scrimmage with limited plays and protecting the QB a priority. Yesterday's game was about as lame as you can get and still call it a spring game. It seems that Dodge is doing everything he can to get attendance back to the old standard of a couple of hundred.

That said, spring games no matter what the format are basically meaningless in gauging the team. A few individuals that caught my eye: Dodge as a runner not so much as a passer; walk on Nailor at defensive end; receivers Johnson, Taylor and Stradford; Montgomery looked great; and Phillips and Kylie Hill at outside linebackers.

Depends. This team only wins 3 games this year, I would say no. If they win 4 or more, I think they will keep him for a fourth season. If he improves on that, he will be here for his 5th.

I believe Dodge stays for the duration when its all said and done. Many on the board are fed up based on what I know but I believe it will come down to economics more than wins.

Hate to be the negative nancy but besides the defense looking a bit better, i saw few signs of improvement.

The intensity of the whole thing, or lack of, was amazing.

One touchdown for a spring game, for an offensive team?

When a fan isn't allowed to watch practices, all i can go by is what i see during games and/or spring games. And from what i saw today, this team has a long way to go.

Hi Nancy ;) ,

Thank goodness this year we were allowed to watch practices, as long as we stayed on the other side of the fence (off the practice field itself). I didn't make it to a practice either, but enjoyed the reports that some on this board provided.

Hi Nancy ;) ,

Thank goodness this year we were allowed to watch practices, as long as we stayed on the other side of the fence (off the practice field itself). I didn't make it to a practice either, but enjoyed the reports that some on this board provided.

from behind the fence? sorry my mistake.

still.....not impressed.

messenger....shot.

Interesting note in today's DMN about UT's spring game...I quote; "While the defense had help from winds gusting to 30 mph, a vanilla offensive game plan and several drops, McCoy was 11-of-24 for 95 yards. In 39 career games, he's completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes only once".

Sound familiar to what we saw Saturday? I'm just saying...it was, after all, the spring game. I attached the quote just to let some folks see that UNT is not alone in how the spring game goes. I have a friend who lives in Austin and went to that spring game...he said lots of folks were grumbling about how plain jane the offense looked and how bad McCoy looked. Some were ven complaining about the head coach! can you imagine that? Oh, and he did say, the defense looked a lot better than the offense...I think that is to be expected in the spring game. Saw some of that in Denton on Saturday too.

Folks, several key offensive players were out of the game...Outlaw, and our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th running backs to mention just a few.

When isn't the wind not a factor at Fouts. There is always a ton of wind. Lame excuses for an offense that didn't look good at all with a lot more talent and experience. And the so called "extra coach" on the field. What a joke.

Keeping it vanilla was not Dodge's goal. The team was prepared to show case itself. Vanilla is not what Todd wanted. That is a bullshit answer for a week performance. Lets be honest.

When isn't the wind not a factor at Fouts. There is always a ton of wind. Lame excuses for an offense that didn't look good at all with a lot more talent and experience. And the so called "extra coach" on the field. What a joke.

Keeping it vanilla was not Dodge's goal. The team was prepared to show case itself. Vanilla is not what Todd wanted. That is a bullshit answer for a week performance. Lets be honest.

So, that goes for Mac Brown and UT's spring game too, right?

I was going to reply that you should please do so and kiss my big white butt on the way out the door. But I don't want to get banned until after GMG Bowl, so I won't post that.

But after the 11th, I owe you a smart ass reply.

if dodge finishes 2-10 again 10,000 others will join me. keep your reply in your shorts where it belongs.