Football: Getting Defensive

mgsteve

What is the betting line that we don't finish last in the FBS in scoring defense again?

I suppose it depends a lot on our offense's ability to not only continue moving the ball well between the 20s, but also finish off long sustained drives.

Can Todge adopt the philosophy to attack defenses rather than just take what they give us?

Edited by greenminer

What is the betting line that we don't finish last in the FBS in scoring defense again?

I suppose it depends a lot on our offense's ability to not only continue moving the ball well between the 20s, but also finish off long sustained drives.

Can Todge adopt the philosophy to attack defenses rather than just take what they give us?

YES

Guest GrayEagleOne

If I could get a line on our finishing last in scoring defense then I'd bet the farm. I'd base that on two things...DeLoach and the players' attitude. DeLoach has never had a defense that bad in all of his years of coaching and he's not about to let it happen twice. And, when is the last time that you saw quotes from players that indicate that they are getting it and are coming together as a team?

You are right in that the vast majority of our yardage was between the 20s. Once we got to the red zone we had the third best success rate in the conference. But for a few high snaps and a few sloppy blocks, we could have easily finished on top. We were able to score 82% of the time that we made it to the 20.

It seems to me that most teams take what defenses give them nowadays. Reading is much more important now than twenty years ago. I think that's where we have a strength in Riley. A coach's son understands the game better than any other and will likely have more leeway to change a play.

This team is going to be vastly better for a couple of reasons...

1) I agree with the previous post, this defense is going to be much improved. I don't know if it will be as good as some people are predicting, but definitely middle of the pack, and that will result in some wins

2) I really think Riley is going to be good...I agree that he may be a little more likely to get injured than others, a little due to his size and that combined with him going to be running the ball more, but do not think he is necessarily injury prone

3) I think Tune is a very capable backup...more so than some we have had in the past.

4) Todd Dodge's Learning Curve: As much as some people say that he thick headed, and doesn't change, I think he is making changes..TE play for an example, and I think that this is the year that we really see some things mclick

5) 6 wins is very successful...I think having the right benchmark in mind is key for all of us diehards...if you think we are going to the New Orleans Bowl this year, you are going to be disappointed again...this team can be competitive in all games except the Alabama game, win 6 games, and I will be feeling great about the season and the direction of the program!

This team is going to be vastly better for a couple of reasons...

1) I agree with the previous post, this defense is going to be much improved. I don't know if it will be as good as some people are predicting, but definitely middle of the pack, and that will result in some wins

2) I really think Riley is going to be good...I agree that he may be a little more likely to get injured than others, a little due to his size and that combined with him going to be running the ball more, but do not think he is necessarily injury prone

3) I think Tune is a very capable backup...more so than some we have had in the past.

4) Todd Dodge's Learning Curve: As much as some people say that he thick headed, and doesn't change, I think he is making changes..TE play for an example, and I think that this is the year that we really see some things mclick

5) 6 wins is very successful...I think having the right benchmark in mind is key for all of us diehards...if you think we are going to the New Orleans Bowl this year, you are going to be disappointed again...this team can be competitive in all games except the Alabama game, win 6 games, and I will be feeling great about the season and the direction of the program!

the defense was offensive last year. unt was flat horrible. how bad?trouble recalling the 11 losses? the list of how much we lost each game by:

this can be turned around but not as qiuck as some predicting. our rdshirt freshman qb savior will need mucho help from his supporting cast just to sniff a close game by the 4th quarter. I'm all for miracles, but more than 4 this season will require devine intervention. think 3-9 at best and rv keep the short list updated.

the list of how much we lost each game by:

How painful it is to look at it that way...I know just like the next guy we got killed last year, but man that makes it feel even worse...OUCH!!!

I agree with you though that we will not the next version of the Green Curtain, but I still believe that we can be much improved, and by that I mean a competitive defense