Vito's Thursday Observation Deck

eulessismore

6'4" X 310 is a damn big DE. I sure hope they have a viable plan to replace that 310 lbs in the middle of the line....where (IMHO) it's needed the most.

Our manager, who has seen Cantly play a lot of high school ball, says he has played very well as DE in the past, and is sure he could do that in college. However, he thinks 300 or more is too much weight for a DE, and that North Texas needs to decide where he's going to play, and target his conditioning accordingly.

I don't understand what looks like panic at the defensive end position. Cantly and Akpunka both being tried at that position, one 210 lbs and the other 310 pounds. What has happened to the great number of other ship de's, are they gone or just are not good enough? I assume Gilmore will be a fixture at one defensive end. That leaves Russo, Brown, Sykes, Stewart, Owusu-Hemeng, Cole and the newcomers Weber and Washington to vie for the other de position and the rotation. I hope that it is that Cantly and Akpunka are so promising that they are better prospects than the others at de and not that NT is trying anything because of the lack of depth at the position.

Coach Mike Nelson has 30 years of D1 level defensive line experience,

coached at BCS level programs, developed and coached many all

conference DT/DE players, and several "all american" players.

Coach Nelson was hired to coach DT's only, but Coach Dodge

assigned Coach Nelson to handle the entire DL as a group. Coach

Nelson is a terrific teacher and motivator for the players. He and

DC Gary DeLoach go together like steak and eggs, a perfect match.

I can understand the move with Cantley at DE. We have Draylen

Ross, 6-4, 300+ and Jesse DeSoto, 6-1, 300 at DT/NG- These 2

players will have a great year. With 6-2, 298 DT Shavod Atkinson and

6-2, 300+ DT Kelvin Jackson, coming in, the interior DL rotation looks

very solid. (Do not forget, Troy Franklin, 6-4, 295?, Joe Hawthorne,

6-4, listed at 255, he is certainly bigger than 255, and Jonathan Stewart)

Cantley is much quicker than you think, so moving to DE is a good move.

Then on the other side, DE Eddrick Gilmore, 6-6, 270. Brandon Akpunku,

6-1, 200+, is a terriffic athlete. State power lifting champ, very quick

and fast. Recruited as a LB, but continues to become bigger/stronger.

AK 47 has a special talent, known for cuting down QB/RB zone reads,

sweeps, and blitzing. I like this move also, but, I see AK playing in

certain situations where zone reads are expected. I still believe Kyle

Russo will start, but with JUCO John Weber, 6-3, 265 comming in,

competition heats up. Sam Owusu-Hemeng, 6-2,250, and Marquies

Sykes, 6-2, 250 played very well LY. I am glad to see 6-4, 260?

Charlie Brown back at DE (Since he was a TE in HS, recruited as a TE,

I wonder if the staff considered moving Brown back to TE?) Brown should

play alot in 09 too. Jeremy Phillips, former HS QB, recruited to play safety,

is a very good athlete too, only Phillips keeps getting bigger. Listed at 6-3,

200, he must be 225 now. The coaches are impressed with his progress

at LB. Phillips looks to develop into a good D1 LB. I like all of these moves.

The number one point here is, the staff has more options now, with the

number of returning players, (R/S's, JUCO's, veterans), to improve all

functions of the defense. I do like how DC Gary DeLoach and DL Coach

Mike Nelson, are developing the defense, especially the DL. The defense

is developing, and is getting better every day!

Edited by charlie nt73

I don't think having a big arm is absolutely necessary in college. Of course it helps, but it's not necessary. There have been plenty of successful college QBs with decent (but not great) arms - close to home, I'd say Mitch Maher. On a broader scale I can think of names like Major Applewhite, Jason White, Josh Heupel and Brad Smith. None of these guys had big arms. I think the key with all of these guys is accuracy. Let the receiver get the separation (which you can do easier on the college level) and make sure your QB puts the ball on the money with timing.

Edited by GMoney

I don't think having a big arm is absolutely necessary in college. Of course it helps, but it's not necessary. There have been plenty of successful college QBs with decent (but not great) arms - close to home, I'd say Mitch Maher. On a broader scale I can think of names like Major Applewhite, Jason White, Josh Heupel and Brad Smith. None of these guys had big arms. I think the key with all of these guys is accuracy. Let the receiver get the separation (which you can do easier on the college level) and make sure your QB puts the ball on the money with timing.

To me, the most important thing for a QB is getting the ball to the receiver quickly, before a defense has time to read and react. There are a few factors that come into it - arm strength, quick release, quick decision-making, etc. If you've got all three of these, you're better than most. Big Ben and Leftwich have monster arms. However, they both have big windups, so they don't get the ball to the receiver as quickly as say, Peyton Manning (who's blessed with all three attributes). A big arm helps them cover for the release, though, so they can still get it there quickly. But you don't have to have incredible arm strength to fire the ball in there. You have to just be efficient.

The other thing a big arm does is let you air it out. Vito mentions in there that that's really not a big part of our offense. All things being equal, I'd like to have a guy with a strong arm, but MORE IMPORTANTLY in our offense, and part of what made Riley successful in high school is the release, accuracy, and quick decision-making aided by familiarity with the offense. A strong arm would certainly help, but if we're airing it out, that means either a) our line has magically improved well past anything I saw them do last year or B) the play has broken. In a situation like this, Riley's arm strength will probably only factor in a once or twice, by which point he'll be knocked out by onrushing DL and LBs.

SO, the question remains, as it will, whether or not Riley's a) decision-making and B) release can make up for c) lack of arm strength (though he's not really a noodle-arm). He has a few things working in his favor in his familiarity with the offense and developmental year, but, as FLF has pointed out, we don't have a Big 12, Big 10, SEC, whatever coaching staff. UT, OU, Florida, etc. would all be able to turn Riley into a solid college QB, IMO, with little trouble. Of course, 9 times out of 10, they won't have to, because they'll go with a guy with more prototypical size and strength.