Cedrick Hardman

Side Show Joe

I was looking at some of our players from the NFL, and came across Cedrick Hardman. He played in the NFL from 1970-1981. Now, I don't consider myself a young person on this board, but that is mostly before the time when I first started watching. He was an All Pro in 71 and 75. I never read about him on the board, and with all the in-fighting over our current situation, I thought it would be nice to hear any stories the older folks might remember about him from when he played at North Texas. Anyone have some good stories about him?

It's my understanding that when he transferred to NT (from an Oklahoma school) he was playing safety. He eventually grew into the DE position. I'm told that his personalized license plate said "NASTY". I'm told by reliable sources that he earned that name.

I don't know any stories about him while he was playing at NT. I'm told that he practiced as hard has he played. A good friend of mine told me that he met someone who used to play TE on that team. The guy (who was about 6'3" X 220) told my friend that his playing career ended because he injured himself trying to block Mr. Hardman in practice.

Hardman literally burst onto the scene when we played Tulsa in Denton ....cannot remember the year. He absolutely went ballistic against the Tulsa quarterback ( Tulsa coach Dobbs' son ) He had like 10 quarterback sacks in that game. It was this game that got the attention of the pro scouts, and the rest is history. If any of you ever saw the movie, "The Candidate" starring Robert Redford, Hardman played his bodyguard.

From the Media Guide

Hardman was a first-round draft pick of the San francisco 49ers and a six-time Pro Bowl pick for both the 49ers and the Oakland Raiders. he was the Blue Gray Senior Bowl MVP in 1969 and was elected to the Blue Gray Hall of Fame in 1996. He played on the Raiders 1981 Super Bowl championship team and was the first two-time winner of the 49ers Len Eshmont Award.

Note - North Texas had first round pro picks for three consecutive years (Joe Greene 4th pick in 1969, Hardman 9th pick in 1970 and Leonard Dunlap 26th pick in 1971)

Edited by MeanGreen61

From the Media Guide

Hardman was a first-round draft pick of the San francisco 49ers and a six-time Pro Bowl pick for both the 49ers and the Oakland Raiders. he was the Blue Gray Senior Bowl MVP in 1969 and was elected to the Blue Gray Hall of Fame in 1996. He played on the Raiders 1981 Super Bowl championship team and was the first two-time winner of the 49ers Len Eshmont Award.

Note - North Texas had first round pro picks in consecutive years (Joe Greene 4th pick in 1969 and Hardman 9th pick in 1970)

Toward the end of his career (when he played with the Raiders) he extended his career by a couple of years by being one of the first players to only play on passing downs. This was long before Charles Haley.

Recently I was in Laguna Beach California. Having coffee when I ran into Cedrick. He

was doing his daily walk and I recognized him from his Mean Green Jogging Suit he

had on. He is just enjoying life and feels that Todd Dodge will bring success to the

Green.

We shook hands and he has the largest hands I have ever seen. He was moving rather

slow because of injuries from his football days. Still looks like about 250 lbs.