Uta (12/29/08)

CMJ

I know they went to the dance last year, and that the Southland has an edge over the Belt this year. That doesn't make my opinion a joke. It only points out that we should have seen this coming and improved to a point where we wouldn't have to sit here and wonder why we didn't win tonight! They should not be able to play with us, and what it is, is unacceptable. If we can't beat ut-a, then don't schedule them until we can. It's embarrassing, and only helps their recruiting, while hurting ours.

Well you said UTA was a doormat in the Southland. Doormats usually don't win league titles(not even league tournaments which are crapshoots)

So that right their kind of invalidates half your point about "they shouldn't be able to play with us" since UTA is the reigning champion of a league that owns a head to head edge on the Belt.

Thus...yes, your post seems like it was written my an ignorant fan who is ranting with no logic behind him.

And saying we should take them off the schedule if we can't beat them makes us look like the kind of poor sports we always accuse the "big boys" of being when they lose to schools like us. And we rightfully point out how pathetic they are. Hence, I don't want to be labeled a fanbase of hypocrites.

So, yeah...your ranting is a joke.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you said UTA was a doormat in the Southland. Doormats usually don't win league titles(not even league tournaments which are crapshoots)

So that right their kind of invalidates half your point about "they shouldn't be able to play with us" since UTA is the reigning champion of a league that owns a head to head edge on the Belt.

Thus...yes, your post seems like it was written my an ignorant fan who is ranting with no logic behind him.

And saying we should take them off the schedule if we can't beat them makes us look like the kind of poor sports we always accuse the "big boys" of being when they lose to schools like us. And we rightfully point out how pathetic they are. Hence, I don't want to be labeled a fanbase of hypocrites.

So, yeah...your ranting is a joke.

No. I said FIU has been a doormat in the Belt, and feel that our conference SHOULD be stronger then the Southland. I am well aware that it is not. Implying that we take them off the schedule was me being sarcastic. I'd never want UNT to back down from any school in any sport. To lose to them again, and on our home court, is unacceptable, and these loses could hurt us in recruiting.

I don't know if somebody already answer this, but how come our recruiting wasn't very strong after two back to back 20 win season, Sun Belt champs, a trip to the tourney and a win over big 12 OSU? I understand we recruited White and Thompson....but in my own opinion we could of got some caliber players to come to UNT basketball. My two cents

I think this is what makes the series so special. I think no matter who is having the better season (UNT probably so far), both teams are going to battle it out for 40:00. Kinda like the UT-TAMU or Texas-OU series in football: both programs have been up and down over the years, but the games usually wind up being close. The difference was we wound up winning on the boards (rare for us with our small lineup this year) and that was just enough to win. And because we're kinda small, in previous games we've fallen in love with the 3-point shot, but unlike UNT, our percentage isn't very good. We know Vereen and Long are going to get their 20 each night, but the question is whether another player or two would be able to score. And it was Moffitt doing just that tonight. 6-5, can play outside or inside, and he did both tonight, getting some big rebounds and making some 5-8 foot shots in the paint. I'm glad we won, but it was a great game to watch no matter who you were rooting for. Very entertaining. Good luck to UNT the rest of the way and see you at Texas Hall next year.

WHy UNT lost to UTA last night.

1.) When Justin Howerton came into the game, UTA went on its run. Basically UNT was playing 4 against 5 at that time. He had no business in this game. It killed our momentum and UTA made its run then.

2.) Not enough meat to compete - It is VERY difficult to match up with Vareen and Moffitt down low. WHen you have meat and bones players like Harold Stewart and Kendrick Hogans, we are DONE inside when facing opponents with both height and weight down low.

3.) Tristan Thompson was obviously ill and not himself. The offense was stagnant a lot becuase Tristan was under the weather. When he takes initative and takes it to the basket effectively, we are a much better team. (Why, why can't Tristan and Collin Dennis both be ON in the same game. Please, that's all we need to play at another level).

4.) Offense was lethargic. Much of that had to do with UTA's speed on defense and a GOOD strategy by Coach Scott Cross. If our offense becomes so easy to figure out, then we will suffer the same fate as the Cowboys.

5.) Outhustled big time. This actually may be number 1 reason. Look at the hustle stats from last night. We got beat on the boards, steals, assists, and blocks. Combined deficit on the hustle board was -14 or so. UTA wanted it more than we did and was much more aggressive. We did not deserve to win last night.

Maybe this will wake us up. I am happy to see Collin playing well though.

4.) Offense was lethargic. Much of that had to do with UTA's speed on defense and a GOOD strategy by Coach Scott Cross. If our offense becomes so easy to figure out, then we will suffer the same fate as the Cowboys.

5.) Outhustled big time. This actually may be number 1 reason. Look at the hustle stats from last night. We got beat on the boards, steals, assists, and blocks. Combined deficit on the hustle board was -14 or so. UTA wanted it more than we did and was much more aggressive. We did not deserve to win last night.

Maybe this will wake us up. I am happy to see Collin playing well though.

I say this as a guy who doesn't really understand the game to the point where I really saw the zone defense at work for the first time and understood what I was seeing, so take my comment with a grain of salt. What I saw was that coming out for the second half, UTA wanted it more, plain and simple. They challenged every pass and every shot. They pressed and made it hard to cross midcourt on every possession. UNT just didn't look like they were up to the task. Now for the part the makes me a glaringly ignorant fan, it just looked like UTA figured something out about us and made adjustments at halftime that we either didn't see coming or couldn't counter.

As for Vereen, if somebody would get that kid on a strength and conditioning program, he'd be plain scary. His shooting for a guy his size was just lights out. Unfortunately for him, that weight rendered him out of breath pretty quickly. We really needed to capitalize on that on offense when he was lumbering around the key trying not to pass out, but we didn't.

I don't know if somebody already answer this, but how come our recruiting wasn't very strong after two back to back 20 win season, Sun Belt champs, a trip to the tourney and a win over big 12 OSU? I understand we recruited White and Thompson....but in my own opinion we could of got some caliber players to come to UNT basketball. My two cents

Don't forget George. Our sophmore class is strong - Hogans, White, Thompson, Odufuwa. Then throw in the JUCO's we signed after the tournment run, and I think JJ has signed some really quality kids since. My two cents.

Don't forget George. Our sophmore class is strong - Hogans, White, Thompson, Odufuwa. Then throw in the JUCO's we signed after the tournment run, and I think JJ has signed some really quality kids since. My two cents.

So is this a development thing? Can we expect them to grow into UTA beaters by the time they're seniors?

I like the series with UTA for a lot of reasons. The one thing I do not like about the series is the fact that the only chance we have to win is in Denton. The stage in Arlington is so disorienting that it is almost impossible to win a 'grude' game there. There have been really good NT teams fall on the stage in Arlington. I just wish the NCAA would get involved and really put the heat on UTA to play in a better venue...even if it was at the Convention Center in Arlington. I really like the UTA athletic director...he is a good guy and does the most with what he has to work with.

I like the series with UTA for a lot of reasons. The one thing I do not like about the series is the fact that the only chance we have to win is in Denton. The stage in Arlington is so disorienting that it is almost impossible to win a 'grude' game there. There have been really good NT teams fall on the stage in Arlington. I just wish the NCAA would get involved and really put the heat on UTA to play in a better venue...even if it was at the Convention Center in Arlington. I really like the UTA athletic director...he is a good guy and does the most with what he has to work with.

Wow...I didn't know UTA was undefeated at home like, for forever. <_<

We're worried about the same thing, but he "bleeds blue" and if we get the go-ahead for the new arena, we're hoping he can be persuaded to stay. But of course, if Duke calls....

Don't kid yourself. If Iowa St., Kansa St., Ole Miss, Miss St., et al came calling, he would be gone in a flash. Nature of the Beast. Relish him while you got him.