Unt Staff Opening, Players Leaving, Recruiting Ect.

Brett Vito

"Dodge confirmed that one member of the coaching staff has left the program. He wouldn't say who, but that information should come down early next week."

I really don't understand why there is so much secrecy about someone who is supposedly retiring. Something doesn't seem right.

"Dodge confirmed that one member of the coaching staff has left the program. He wouldn't say who, but that information should come down early next week."

I really don't understand why there is so much secrecy about someone who is supposedly retiring. Something doesn't seem right.

sometimes people say they are retiring because it sounds better than getting let go or fired, then they promptly turn around, unretire, and have a new job very soon afterwards. Same with players that give up football only to turn around and walk on elsewhere.

Edited by GreenMachine

I have my fingers crossed that IT IS NOT Deloach. UNT needs him and he needs to be "promoted" to assistant head coach and given help with the special teams...and stay with the "D" making it better and better. I agree that Deloach not being on the recruiting trail is not much of a worry. I understand that he has, in the past, not been much of a recruiter...one note...if that is the case, he probably will not move on the a head coaching job. Head Coaches had better be good and experienced recruiters.

When the word first came down...Vito used the term retirement, but he wasn't sure if it was that...or not. So maybe it's not a retirement, per se.

The more I talk to folks....the more I'm convinced that it's not Deloach, but that it's Drake.

Whoa now, people don't care that Deloach doesn't recruit??? And everyone wants Dodge fired and Deloach promoted to HC??? I will never understand the double standards of many of the people on this board.

I think there is an NCAA limit on the number of coaches who can do off campus recruiting. So that's probably why folks are saying that Deloach doesn't recruit.

I think there is an NCAA limit on the number of coaches who can do off campus recruiting. So that's probably why folks are saying that Deloach doesn't recruit.

If there is a limit, I certainly would not want my def. coordinator to be one of the ones not recruiting. That does not make any sense, and if that is the case here, it needs to change. As to whether Deloach could be the head coach here or anywhere else, my understanding is he has never wanted to be a head coach.

And in a final note, Dodge confirmed that three players will not be back next season: defensive lineman Jordan Scoggins, linebacker Bron Hager and wide receiver Evan Walker. All three were part of Dodge's first recruiting class. I run through the numbers in tomorrow's paper, but that class is shrinking by the month.

What UNT has to hope is that all three players either stay in school at UNT or leave in good academic standing. UNT has improved its performance academically since Dodge arrived, but the program is in a big enough hole that every player who leaves while academically ineligible is likely going to cost the team a scholarship due to the NCAA's APR standards. UNT was docked after the last report.

More of the first class to leave is what I just heard from one of the above mentioned.

Why is Dodge losing so many players in so many different ways or is this just college football? I wouldn't doubt that Vizza will follow Dibrell to Rice and that Evan's former teamate heads off as well. The writing is on the wall for several WR's.

If Deloach leaves, this program folds up tent in 2009 and Dodge will be gone in 2010.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't believe that DeLoach is on the approved list of coaches that can recruit off-campus. For whatever reason, I can't recall that his name is listed with those having assigned territories. If so, he can only talk to those on official visits within 30 miles of Denton.

I don't believe that DeLoach is on the approved list of coaches that can recruit off-campus. For whatever reason, I can't recall that his name is listed with those having assigned territories. If so, he can only talk to those on official visits within 30 miles of Denton.

His defense was the worst in the nation and no one seems to care that he isn't out recruiting? Amazing.

I'd cut his significantly less slack if he weren't "coaching" with one arm tied behind his back and the other amputated by his superior.

If this is true, I don't see any way he comes back next year. DeLoach has been around the block too many times to be micromanaged by a coach with very limited 1-A experience or success.

I don't know what to believe. I read posts from some complaining that Dodge spends all his time overseeing the offense, and then someone posts something like this.

If this is true, I don't see any way he comes back next year. DeLoach has been around the block too many times to be micromanaged by a coach with very limited 1-A experience or success.

I don't know what to believe. I read posts from some complaining that Dodge spends all his time overseeing the offense, and then someone posts something like this.

Unfortunately Emmitt is correct. However, with at least one change that we will see this coming week, it will be enough to keep him for next year.

I swear, some of you would complain if Bobby Flay were cooking you dinner but didn't go out and buy the groceries!

Maybe recruiting isn't Deloach's strong suit. Doesn't mean he's not telling the coaches doing the recruiting who to go after.

He's a proven commodity.