Recruiting Notes

Brett Vito

That move definitely hits on a rumor that my tailgate group heard early in the season.....DeLoach wasn't at all happy with the talent we had in the secondary (moreso than any other position on the defense). Of course the ramification here is that this staff (pre-DeLoach) did a terrible job evaluating players (esp. DBs) during last year's recruiting. Hopefully we're getting that corrected now. We can't afford to miss so badly this season.

Edited by TIgreen01

I don't know if they were poor evaluators of talent, it is just tough to throw true freshmen out there. I would much rather see us get to the point of being able to redshirt the majority, if not all, of our incoming freshmen and allow them to adjust to college and mature physically.

"It appears as if UNT is in win-now mode after its second straight last-place finish in the Sun Belt. ...The part that might be a little concerning for UNT fans is Todd Dodge and his staff were hired for their Texas high school connections. ...The group is stepping a little out of its element when it comes to the JC ranks."

It's called panic-mode. I'm glad Dodge & Co. realize the need for an immediate upgrade in our abilities. Just sad it has taken a 3-21 record to finally open some eyes of what needs done on the college level. The problem with so many needs now is we can't sit back and let high school talent develop properly.

Of course the ramification here is that this staff (pre-DeLoach) did a terrible job evaluating players (esp. DBs) during last year's recruiting.

I would disagree with this part of your post conisdering Royce Hill was ranked #37 as a DB by ESPN and played in numerous HS all-star games, as did Darien Williams. You could also throw Dwaylon Cook and John Shorter in to this group. I think these all have the potential to be great DB's for NT.

I do think they missed on a few of the JUCO's, but that was more personal issues than talent. The four listed above should have been allowed to adjust to college ball and not be thrown on the field immediately. I think it will help them in the long run, but we suffered because of it this year.

THE BEST COVER CORNERS IN THE WORLD CANNOT COVER FOREVER. GET PRESSURE ON THE QUATERBACK WITH YOUR DEFENSIVE LINE OR YOU WILL ALWAYS MAKE YOUR DEFENSIVE BACKS LOOK TERRIBLE.

Was that hard? No more DBs!!! We have the talent. You can put 5 Deon Sanders caliber players in the secondary and the opponent will complete passes on you ALL DAY if you can't get pressure on the Qb. Period!

We are offering 4 JUCO DBs, but don't have room for Sean Warren, a top 100 JUCO DT??? Are you f#*@king kidding me!!

The 1-11 season wasn't convincing enough that we need immediate DT help? We were playing TIGHT ENDS at the DT positions. Seriously, we don't have room to bring in Warren for the spring?????

Stupid.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I would disagree with this part of your post conisdering Royce Hill was ranked #37 as a DB by ESPN and played in numerous HS all-star games, as did Darien Williams. You could also throw Dwaylon Cook and John Shorter in to this group. I think these all have the potential to be great DB's for NT.

I do think they missed on a few of the JUCO's, but that was more personal issues than talent. The four listed above should have been allowed to adjust to college ball and not be thrown on the field immediately. I think it will help them in the long run, but we suffered because of it this year.

Exactly. They missed on BOTH of the JUCOs that were considered the defacto starters at corner going into the season. From what I watched this year, only Kylee Hill measured up. I'm not really trying to say that "I" think the players over-rated, just saying what I heard....then you watch the games with that filter on and you see things slightly differently. I agree that a better dline helps out the secondary, no question. But this is one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen just from a pure tackling standpoint. Maybe our whole team gets thrown into that category....?

Either way, the point still stands....we cannot afford to miss as badly (on the JUCO players) as we did last year and the fact that we're going after 2 more JUCO DBs tells you that the coaches are not comfortable with the young guys that were rated so high and you think have the potential to be great.