New Mexico State 12/6/08

CMJ

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be a fantastic battle of a game.... NMSU has revenge on their mind after our 21 point come back last year and UNT is a relentless defender of the home court. For what it is worth, Sagarin has both teams basically ranked equal, but with the home court advantage has us favored by 4.

This is going to be a fantastic battle of a game.... NMSU has revenge on their mind after our 21 point come back last year and UNT is a relentless defender of the home court. For what it is worth, Sagarin has both teams basically ranked equal, but with the home court advantage has us favored by 4.

We have appeared lazy at times and it has cost us. Lobing passes during a press, not blocking out under the basket, etc... We have streaks of great play, like when Dominque took the 1 position for a few minutes last night (some great drives and passes in the paint). But we just didn't seem motiviated against either Jackson State, Houston, or SHSU. One game, sure, but 3 in a row has me worried.

I have faith we can beat NMSU, just depends on how the men show up.

We have appeared lazy at times and it has cost us. Lobing passes during a press, not blocking out under the basket, etc... We have streaks of great play, like when Dominque took the 1 position for a few minutes last night (some great drives and passes in the paint). But we just didn't seem motiviated against either Jackson State, Houston, or SHSU. One game, sure, but 3 in a row has me worried.

I have faith we can beat NMSU, just depends on how the men show up.

I agree. I am worried about this team now. We show flashes of brilliance, but periods of being extremely lackadaisical. I am most worried about Josh at this point. He picked up the pace in this last game when the press was on, but he is still prone to turnovers. The biggest problem I see right now is that Josh and Dominique are two of our most accurate shooting and highest scoring guards, and apparently trying more now to become true “assist” oriented guards… however, our other guards are wildly inconsistent so our scoring is down. I would like to see Dominique take over the PG position and have Josh enter the guard rotation so he can return to his focus on scoring. I know I will take some heat for this suggestion from other members, but I think this would be best scenario at this point. I also think Tramiel deserves much more playing time.

Edited by chrisfisher

It seems like no one on the team thinks of themselves as The Man. We've got a lot of good players, but no one seems to be rising up to take that leadership spot, that says, just get me the ball and I'll put this thing on my back? I know Josh looked to be getting there last year, but now seems content to spread the ball around.

Am I missing the All Star?

I just want to be rolling going into Sunbelt play. We're starting conference about a week earlier than normal this year.

On a side note...is it me, or do we seem to usually start on the road in Sunbelt play?

NT is playing a much tougher OC schedule this year, I think partly to get better ready for the Belt. The last couple of years, NT has feasted on a non-conference schedule full of home game cup cakes and had excellent OC records but found play in the Belt much tougher, finishing a couple of games over .500. This year's schedule is much tougher with only one game, the opener against Cameron, being against a lower division team, also it has included tough away games against Houston, OSU, Indiana State and SHSU. Hopefully this type of schedule will lead to better performance in the Belt, especially on the road.

NT is playing a much tougher OC schedule this year, I think partly to get better ready for the Belt. The last couple of years, NT has feasted on a non-conference schedule full of home game cup cakes and had excellent OC records but found play in the Belt much tougher, finishing a couple of games over .500. This year's schedule is much tougher with only one game, the opener against Cameron, being against a lower division team, also it has included tough away games against Houston, OSU, Indiana State and SHSU. Hopefully this type of schedule will lead to better performance in the Belt, especially on the road.

That wasn't really addressing my post that you quoted at all. :P (Tho I do largely agree with most of what you said)

I checked the previous few years schedule...we usually have one Sunbelt game before the 1st of the year. This season we have two. And we do seem to open on the road to start Sunbelt play alot of the time(it seems that we usually end on the road as well).

Edited by CMJ

I just found out... or actually, my wife just reminded me, that she has her company X-mas party this Saturday that is mandatory for me to attend... I've been looking forward to this game all season.... bummer!! dang!!!

Hola folks,

The Aggies in the DFW area are looking forward to this game as well. After last year's meltdown in Las Cruces, we owe you one! I think there will be a fair amount of crimson in the crowd Saturday.

Our team this year is very young - no scholarship seniors and only one junior. We have some talent, but we are still learning. Usually we play a small but very quick lineup, and can get up and down the floor pretty well. So far though we haven't demonstrated a very good inside game. Our 2 bigs have potential, but haven't really put it together yet - and they are somewhat slow footed. Also we are getting killed on the boards - Kansas out rebounded us by 20. The good part is that we are pretty active defensively and shoot the 3 well. We've also played some decent teams on the road (and lost) - OK, Kansas is more than decent.

Looking forward to a good game!

Would you like a rat's ass? Well, I don't have one, so I couldn't give one.

:lol:

I'll probably have it on mute while I listen to our game. But the point is, I figure we'll have quite a few fans who will stay home and watch.

Edited by CMJ

To Chris...be a man! Tell her to piss off the party, you're going to the game. From experience I can tell you that women come and women go, but a good hardwood matchup is hard to find and impossible to pass up. If you don't believe me on this, ask my ex-wives.

To Chris...be a man! Tell her to piss off the party, you're going to the game. From experience I can tell you that women come and women go, but a good hardwood matchup is hard to find and impossible to pass up. If you don't believe me on this, ask my ex-wives.

(on the phone)

What? You are? Hold on. Let me ask.

Honey! Some of the guys said they were thinking of going to the UNT game on Saturday. Do you think I could go?

She said I can go! What? You are? Hold on. Let me ask.

Honey! The guys said they were thinking of bringing their balls with them to the game...

Credit to Sam Kinison, but I couldn't find the actual routine to quote, so the above is a paraphrase.

so that was you out there...hmmm, I was the one in the stands laughing. Honestly, my kids got a kick out of it. Thanks for the spirit...it's contagious!!! Go Green!!

yep you and the other 3,500 people were laughing when scrappy decided he wanted an impromptu piggy back ride! it was fun though and i got to be surrounded and talk to the dancers, big kudos for a fat guy like me!

I just found out... or actually, my wife just reminded me, that she has her company X-mas party this Saturday that is mandatory for me to attend... I've been looking forward to this game all season.... bummer!! dang!!!

Scene control.

As for this game...don't let the Ag fan sandbag you too much...this is a good team, picked near the top of the WAC this season.

Probable Starters -

PG. Hernst Laroche (6'1" 170 Fr.) 3.8ppg, 2.1rpg, 4.2apg

SG. Johnathon Gibson (6'2" 180 Jr.) 15.5ppg, 1.3rpg, 3.5apg

SF. Jahmar Young (6'4" 160 Soph.) 17.8ppg, 3.4rpg, 3.6apg

PF. Troy Gillenwater (6'8" 235 Fr.) 15.4ppg, 4.8rpg, 2.8bpg

C. Hamidu Rahman (7'0" 240 Fr.) 6.0ppg, 4.0rpg

Key Bench Players

F. Wendell McKines (6'6" 225 Soph.) 11.6ppg, 6.6rpg

G/F. Robert Lumpkins (6'6" 190 Soph.) 5.6ppg, 1.8rpg

G. Gordo Castillo (6'4" 180 Soph.) 2.8ppg, 1.6rpg

Young, Gibson and Gillenwater split the shots pretty evenly...all three can shoot from the permiter, though none have really posted a solid 3pt percentage to this point Their backcourt moves the ball extremely well...3 guys average more assists than our assist leader Josh...Laroche is a nice pass first PG who has turned the ball over only 8 times all season and is shooting 100% from 3 (2-2). Gillenwater is talented and athletic, NMST's answer to Odufuwa...14 blocks through 5 games is pretty salty. Rahman will be a tough match-up at a legit 7'0". Off the bench McKines is a rugged undersized PF...a Tramiel like player who will end up playing more than Rahman...and with our small quick line-up I wouldn't be surprised if he starts instead of Rahman. Lumpkins and Castillo are 3-PT shooters...both shoot a solid 44% from 3.

Once again...we are the deeper team...though, what I'll call a questionable player rotation has seemingly reduced our bench strength. Best case, Collin finds his stroke tonight...Josh and Dom deal out at least 5 assists a piece...TT doesn't let his perfect shooting night go to his head and falls back into forcing bad shots everytime he touches the ball...I've given up on trying to figure out the McCoy dilemma, so I'll focus my "more minutes" attention to Tramiel...and George and Kedrick stay out of foul trouble.