Bonfire!

Boomer23

Bonfire is well under way. Once again I would like to invite out the Talons Alumni to our 50th Anniversary dinner on October 23 at 6:23 pm.

Though I said it last year, the vote finally makes it official. This will be the last Bonfire at Eagle Point. Please come enjoy the last bonfire (the first full size one since 2004).

For the second time in its history the Bonfire will need to find a new home due to the fact it is located on the future stadium land, some previous bonfires were held where Fouts stands.

Go Mean Green!

I drove by the bonfire site today... pretty close to those trees along Bonnie Brae, dont'cha think??

Um, it's always been that close to the reeds, brush, and trees. The grass around it has caught, but I've yet to see the actual treeline ignite. However, don't park your car back there next Friday unless you need a good paint stripper.

but I've yet to see the actual treeline ignite.

I have.

And there are several places for it to move to on the AC complex property including the furthest south end near the equipment barn. Both intramural field areas as well as on the north end of where the Stadium will sit are also possibilities? Remember, the Eagle Golf course complex was around 160 plus acres I believe, so there should be ample room for it to be moved to, but still remain on campus.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

bigger...maybe

but not the biggest.........hehehe

I seriously doubt (given the size and make-up of Talons the past 15 years) that any of the recent Bonfires can match the size of the ones of the late '80's and early '90's. More people = more help to build the fire. 40x40x40 SOLID.

I seriously doubt (given the size and make-up of Talons the past 15 years) that any of the recent Bonfires can match the size of the ones of the late '80's and early '90's. More people = more help to build the fire. 40x40x40 SOLID.

The one in 2001 was simply gigantic because of these huge wooden spools that were delivered by (if memory serves me right) Peterbilt. So we had to encase those spools in pallets, because we didn't know what else to do with them. I think height wise it was maybe only 25 feet tall or so, but that was the widest stack ever. I would guess at least 60 feet.

I remember Gus Meyers thought it was the hottest one he'd ever witnessed, I know it was for me.

The one in 2001 was simply gigantic because of these huge wooden spools that were delivered by (if memory serves me right) Peterbilt. So we had to encase those spools in pallets, because we didn't know what else to do with them. I think height wise it was maybe only 25 feet tall or so, but that was the widest stack ever. I would guess at least 60 feet.

I remember Gus Meyers thought it was the hottest one he'd ever witnessed, I know it was for me.

Gus Meyers thought it was too big every year. He thought anything over 20 ft was "gravy."

Gus Meyers thought it was too big every year. He thought anything over 20 ft was "gravy."

No, I know that. There's a difference between that and the "hottest" tho. I saw my share of Bonfires - even the Chairman in 1999(so yes, I know very well what it was like to talk to Gus about the stack being way too big). But nothing, and I mean nothing, I ever saw was as hot as that one in 2001.

Edited by CMJ

I'm going to prove beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that having the crappiest football in the nation is better than having no football at all. Here goes......

What the hell is a homecoming bonfire and why would anybody want to light up something that big????

confused-29.gif

If you further want to see the long-term effects of going to a commuter school.......

What the hell is a homecoming????

Seriously. I've never seen a homecoming in my life. Not in high school, not in college. Totally new and foreign concept to me.