The Opposition Is About To Begin Advirtising

aprice

The following is mass message Joe sent to all of the members in the group against the stadium.

"The SGA has voted today to send the Referendum to the students. You the student body will decide whether or not to raise student fee’s to pay for this new stadium. Every single student at UNT will be able to vote on this. Now is the time to start campaigning. I am going to be taking out an ad in the NT daily. I am wondering if any of you could submit at ad idea too me. I am also going to make the ad into a flyer and try to post it all over the school. If you have any flyer or ad ideas for opposing the stadium please email them too me. If you want to be credited for your work I will be glad to put your name on the ad so that you can get credit for coming up with the idea. If you want to remain anonymous I will write submitted by anonymous on the ad. I am going to select one ad out of all the emails but I will be making multiple flyers. If any of you is interested in getting involved in this issue please call me at [#removed] or message me on Facebook or at my email address. Thank you"

Just get prepared to start seeing this garbage all over campus.

Does anyone know who this person is? I am absolutely shocked that there would be any opposition to this. Where is this person's (and every other opposition member's) sense of school pride? This university will not succeed without this football stadium. Do you honestly think we can compete against the likes of UT, OU, TT, Baylor, SMU, TCU, etc. without this new facility!??

Whether people want to admit it or not, successful academic programs are tied to successful athletic programs. We need this new stadium to succeed!

Does anyone know who this person is? I am absolutely shocked that there would be any opposition to this. Where is this person's (and every other opposition member's) sense of school pride? This university will not succeed without this football stadium. Do you honestly think we can compete against the likes of UT, OU, TT, Baylor, SMU, TCU, etc. without this new facility!??

Whether people want to admit it or not, successful academic programs are tied to successful athletic programs. We need this new stadium to succeed!

Joe McNulty is a Senator. While we disagree on this issue, Joe seems to be a good guy and he has every right to run an ad provided he follows the By Laws regarding campaigning.

Joe McNulty is a Senator. While we disagree on this issue, Joe seems to be a good guy and he has every right to run an ad provided he follows the By Laws regarding campaigning.

Well, your signature says that there are ~1600 students for this vote....what will they begin doing to counter this anti-stadium campaign?

These people have no interest in competing with anyone in football.

It might help to ease up on the righteous indignation. This attitude of "How dare you oppose this!" is self-defeating. It will not go over well.

Students are being asked for money for a new stadium. If you ask me for money for a project, I am going to want to be able to vote on that project. That's just fair. Both sides in this debate will make their case, and if one side lies then the other side can rebut the lies. That's the way the system is supposed to work.

But the alumni need to stay out of the way. No pulling down flyers or taking ads in the Daily or calling names or cajoling potential voters. Voicing your opinion on this board is fine, but keep in mind that the more involved the alumni appear to be in this, the more resistent the students will be. It will look like a bunch of old people trying to wring money out of students.

UNTflyer and other students have this well in hand. This is their battle. Let them fight it.

Something for Flyer or anyone else who is on campus to watchdog this process to remember:

According to the rate card I received from them earlier this year, the Daily charges students, non-profits, and campus organizations $5 per column inch to advertise. For inserts (loose pages bundled inside the paper), the minimum cost is $600 for 10,000.

A full page ad in the Daily running for one day is $630 (126 column inches at $5 per column inch). A half page ad is $315 for one day.

If a full page ad runs for more than a day, that's more than the permissible $1000 limit.

I heard the anti-stadium people oppose the fee because they don't like football. Little children play pop warner football. Why don't they like children?

They're anti children!!!

I also heard they think private donors should have to pay for it. Some of the potential donors we have talked to are military veterans.

They're anti U.S. troops!!

I heard the anti-stadium people oppose the fee because they don't like football. Little children play pop warner football. Why don't they like children?

They're anti children!!!

I also heard they think private donors should have to pay for it. Some of the potential donors we have talked to are military veterans.

They're anti U.S. troops!!

That is the funniest thing i've heard in awhile! lol. made my day. haha.

I should note that I didn't post this here with the intent of organizing anything malicious towards their campaign. But more to show you who were dealing with, and that hes not giving this up. Jeff Kline has already sent a message to the students asking them to email some guy named Brandon Reynolds to get assisstance from people who will help get the word out. I've already emailed him back seeing if there is anything I can do in regards to that. I certainly don't condone ripping down their flyers or anything of that nature.

Edited by aprice

I understand the point of not having involvement from the alumni but I fought for athletics while attending NT and am insulted by the thought that tis is up to the students and is not my university or my money. I give more in 1 year than any student will be taxed in 4 years total. What if 1 of my kids wants to go to NT, the fee will still be in place. I will stay out of it but don't insult me again by saying this is any less my battle simply because I am not currently a student. I will now take my blood pressure medicine and go back to my old man job.

I understand the point of not having involvement from the alumni but I fought for athletics while attending NT and am insulted by the thought that tis is up to the students and is not my university or my money. I give more in 1 year than any student will be taxed in 4 years total. What if 1 of my kids wants to go to NT, the fee will still be in place. I will stay out of it but don't insult me again by saying this is any less my battle simply because I am not currently a student. I will now take my blood pressure medicine and go back to my old man job.

Quiet old man! I'm gonna throw your war medals off the bridge!

I apologize if some alumni feel they are being left out of this process, but I had lunch with Jeff Kline and we agree that this absolutely must remain a student-driven initiative.

Now, the NTAA will be involved on a limited scale. But we have a plan to campaign for the referendum, which is only permitted during the week immediately preceding the election.

Please know that the SGA and the AD are committed to driving this referendum to a favorable conclusion. Have faith.

well if I read the comments from RV correctly it sounds like the students are onyl going to pay for a minority of the project, while donors and sponsorships will pay for the remaining 60%, so who is actually shouldering the brunt of the costs, while students will con't to get free entry and alumni and non-students will be paying probably 25-50% more for tickets.

So who exactly is shouldering the costs?

Yes quite specifically tearing down flyers is against the rules.

Yes you can take out ads, as long as you follow the rules and stay within campaign contribution limits in the SGA bylaws and election code. I will remind the group that in the 2002 campaign, the Daily ran an editorial that was highly critical of alumni trying to influence students to vote on student fees. I have posted this link before, so I won't again. The Daily was in favor of the fee then and had stated so firmly in a previous editorial, but disagreed with alumni trying to get students to raise fees.

This only applies to student organizations and the university right? I always tear down stupid fliers that I disagree with on campus (especially political ones taped above the urinals in Wooten Hall) and I intend to do so with negative fliers about the stadium unless told otherwise. I am not involved in any organizations that are going to campaign for the stadium. If I get negative stadium flier handed to me I am going to tear up and throw it at the person giving it to me.........