Stadium Article

Stan R

Just got off the phone with the NT Daily and they are saying that the reporter who put 16,000 got this number from "RV the Athletics Director, and he figured the AD would be right."

They say they will run a correction in the NT Daily tomorrow.

So pathetic.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO people like editors NEVER read things like this before they print them? 16,000? Seriously? This is the best we can do? Amazing. Take the endzone seating off and we still have more than 16,000. What a JOKE.

I call BS on the NT Daily, I imagine they asked RV what the Avg Attendance was, not how fans the stadium can hold, and why would they quote a student then say it was RV?

No offense to Joe, who has contributed plenty over the years, but considering some of the alumni we have that have rarely, if ever, given ANYTHING back to the University, it would be nice if one of them threw down. Norah never finished, but how much has she made? None of the people I know have even heard from her since she made it big (and they knew her a lot better than I did, I just knew her because I went out with her roommate a couple of times). Pat Boone came back for a KA reunion in 1999, but has he donated to the school? If so, I haven't heard anything. Same for Don Henley (though I believe he threw in a little sometime in the recent past, but nothing you'd expect from a famous alum), Peter Weller, THC, Meatloaf, Paul Shaeffer, the list goes on.

Hell, Brandon Rogers isn't even making much off of his big break yet, but at least he stays in touch.

No offense to Joe, who has contributed plenty over the years, but considering some of the alumni we have that have rarely, if ever, given ANYTHING back to the University, it would be nice if one of them threw down. Norah never finished, but how much has she made? None of the people I know have even heard from her since she made it big (and they knew her a lot better than I did, I just knew her because I went out with her roommate a couple of times). Pat Boone came back for a KA reunion in 1999, but has he donated to the school? If so, I haven't heard anything. Same for Don Henley (though I believe he threw in a little sometime in the recent past, but nothing you'd expect from a famous alum), Peter Weller, THC, Meatloaf, Paul Shaeffer, the list goes on.

Hell, Brandon Rogers isn't even making much off of his big break yet, but at least he stays in touch.

We are not in the phase yet of asking money from our alums, yet alone those that didn't even graduate.

We are not in the phase yet of asking money from our alums, yet alone those that didn't even graduate.

I wasn't JUST talking about the stadium, you know.

We've been here for 118 years. I think we can assume it's safe to start asking exes-graduates or otherwise-for donations.

Guys, while you're railing at the NT Daily mistake on the stadium capacity, that's hardly the most alarming thing I saw while reading the comments. This is:

"Sure, we're not giving our pathetic football team enough money - let's foot half of the bill to build them a $60 million stadium for them to play (read: lose) in 3-4 times a year... "

I'm seriously pissed if there are people who believe and/or put forth the notion that students are being asked to pay HALF of the $60 million for this project. That's absolute garbage and one of the worst untruths I've seen hatched by the other side. The athletics fee is a means to not only fund UNT sports in a modern way, but to bring revenue into the stadium coffer. No formula has been derived as to what percentage of the total cost an athletic fee would bring. It's part of the formula to get us off the ground, with donations and corporate help as the project's backbone. Do UNT students honestly believe they're to be responsible for 50 percent of this project?

God, I hope not.

I know Peter Weller. I've never asked him if he gives, but I'm almost certain he does. He occassionally drops by LA NT Alumni functions when we have them.

If he does, it must be recent, because he's one that Development mentioned to me right around 2000 that wasn't interested.

Either that, or their records weren't well-kept...now, when does THAT ever happened at UNT?

edit: Can't remember the lady's name that told me off hand but I'd remember if I saw it.

Edited by JesseMartin

So sad, not a single mention about the Stadium being the first LEED certified "Green" stadium. And then this -

"The stadium will increase the amount of school spirit and pride," Kline said. "It will attract better recruits, which will make our team better, and the national recognition of our football team would mean our degrees would more reputable and valuable. Academics bring a limited amount of recognition, but athletics can take that recognition to a whole new level."

I'm sure Mr Kline is trying, but too all of the people who will vote against, this simply isn't a true statement. A new stadium will not make an Education degree more valuable, nor countless others careers outside the corporate world. Using this as a basis of argument for the fee, will backfire.

Ashley Sears, a journalism junior and member of the "against" Facebook group, said money raised by students should go toward campus maintenance instead of a new stadium.

"If they want to build a new stadium, right now is not a good time, especially when there are other things that should be taken care of first," Sears said.

Sears cited NT's music facilities as an area lacking maintenance.

"My roommate is a music major, and she is always complaining about how the practice rooms are in such bad shape," Sears said. "I think that considering we're a music school, things like that should be priorities."

Why is it you don't see students asking for tuition/fee increases to address things as this? Surely if this was such a big issue, they would be banging down the administration's door to get it addressed.

Finally, we are not a "music school". Yes, we have a very good music program and it does bring much notoriety to the university, but there are many other very successful colleges that we are known for. For instance, Computer Science. Another, one for which North Texas was founded on, is Education.

Edited by UNTFan23

NT80-I see it differently. I see the Mean Green Club membership as maintenance. The day to day running of the Athletic Dept. Scholarships, salaries, stamps, etc. I see the stadium as a separate item. Something that some day, could be a retired debt. If you are making a Mean Green Club donation, I thank you. We need more like you. However, the stadium building project needs you as well. We can't fund the stadium out of Mean Green money. If we did, the Athletic Dept. couldn't operate at the level it's running now. So write three checks. One with Mean Green in the memo. One with season tickets in the memo. And a third with your stadium contribution. And we don't have to wait on the big donors to step up. It's up to us.

Owl...the other white meat.

GO MEAN GREEN

Oh, I totally agree that we need to do our share towards a stadium fund. However the athletics fee being voted on is for program maintance also, not just a stadium. It's not a one-time fee, but a from now on fee to help fund the program and facilities in general. I'm sure we'll all be asked someday soon to give to a stadium fund after the silent phase is phased out and all the millionaires have been asked.

DO people like editors NEVER read things like this before they print them? 16,000? Seriously? This is the best we can do? Amazing. Take the endzone seating off and we still have more than 16,000. What a JOKE.

True. Fouts started with 20,000 seats when it was built in 1952. I'm sure that fact just slipped through the Daily's fact-checker machine and/or editor. They do have an editor don't they these days?? :ph34r:

Why is it you don't see students asking for tuition/fee increases to address things as this? Surely if this was such a big issue, they would be banging down the administration's door to get it addressed.

Finally, we are not a "music school". Yes, we have a very good music program and it does bring much notoriety to the university, but there are many other very successful colleges that we are known for. For instance, Computer Science. Another, one for which North Texas was founded on, is Education.

Tuition and state funding can be used to maintain music facilities, but NOT athletic facilities. Thus the reason for a dedicated athletics fee. Perhaps that concerned student should take her music facility concern up the hill to Dr. B. It's from a different pot of money!

Wow...have any of you guys read my replies and responses on there? Because you're kinda paraphrasing me...though I disagreed with the "value of degree" thing. If employers have actually heard of your school, it can be helpful. Many employers outside of certain professions don't know jack about academic rankings and such, but they've seen and heard of the schools that play sports through national media outlets. Sad but true, athletics can help your potential boss identify your alma mater.

I've just now read this article and here's my points.

We have had roughly $6 Million pledged, that's pledged not donated, since last November towards the construction of the new stadium. Hopefully it is more by now?

I had hoped that this stadium would be promoted with the "Entertainment/Multipurpose/Music performance venue" idea kept in mind, with PART of an emphasis that our music program would be included in it's planning and it have a specific music performance friendly aspect built within it. Had that happened, maybe the Band and it's directors would have looked forward to seeing the promotions just as much as the rest of us had, and would have known ahead of time not to play during the halftime video during the Tulsa game? Not to even mention the support it would have gained from such a large influential part of our university. The music students need to realize that they will benefit from this facility as much as, if not more, than the athletes will. They will be gaining a state of the art, outdoor, performance venue in which countless thousands will attend to see them perform, and not just during football season. I can't fathom how anyone with any ties to the Mean Green Brigade, including the 1200 some odd music students, would not be excited about this new facility, other than the simple fact that it isn't being pointed out to them in this way?

And lastly, if your argueing FOR the stadium, be it here, in the Daily or on the Facebook sites against anyone who is AGAINST it, please be polite and respectfull of their oppinion. Simply point out the advantages for both sides and leave the negatives out. Back in 2002 the vote turned into a rank battle of arguements that only rallied the AGAINST voters to having something to get mad over.

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

True. Fouts started with 20,000 seats when it was built in 1952. I'm sure that fact just slipped through the Daily's fact-checker machine and/or editor. They do have an editor don't they these days?? :ph34r:

You're right, of course. However, I doubt that it's the editor's fault. The reporter wrote exactly from the information given; in fact it was on the flyers handed out at the last game. Where someone dreamed this up I don't know. Admittedly, it makes it sound more necessary but if one fact is distorted and found out it makes other things that yoy say about the project suspect. It's really unimportant except for the forementioned reason.

And lastly, if your argueing FOR the stadium, be it here, in the Daily or on the Facebook sites against anyone who is AGAINST it, please be polite and respectfull of their oppinion. Simply point out the advantages for both sides and leave the negatives out. Back in 2002 the vote turned into a rank battle of arguements that only rallied the AGAINST voters to having something to get mad over.

Seconded.

And just to add, we should also be respectful of the students' right to vote on this. I know we all desperately want a new stadium, but this portion of the funding is the students' money that we're talking about, and they should have the right to have a say. Telling them that we don't care what they think and we want to ram this fee down their throat is unlikely to generate support, and support is what the athletic program needs now more than ever.

Besides, that whole taxation-without-representation thing has been shown to be a bad idea. Ask the British.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guys, while you're railing at the NT Daily mistake on the stadium capacity, that's hardly the most alarming thing I saw while reading the comments. This is:

"Sure, we're not giving our pathetic football team enough money - let's foot half of the bill to build them a $60 million stadium for them to play (read: lose) in 3-4 times a year... "

I'm seriously pissed if there are people who believe and/or put forth the notion that students are being asked to pay HALF of the $60 million for this project. That's absolute garbage and one of the worst untruths I've seen hatched by the other side. The athletics fee is a means to not only fund UNT sports in a modern way, but to bring revenue into the stadium coffer. No formula has been derived as to what percentage of the total cost an athletic fee would bring. It's part of the formula to get us off the ground, with donations and corporate help as the project's backbone. Do UNT students honestly believe they're to be responsible for 50 percent of this project?

God, I hope not.

The main point that I took from that was that the students cannot, by law, be responsible for more than half of the cost. That means that it is not being built solely on the backs of the students. Their part is necessary as a payment guarantee and I don't recall that being mentioned.

Of course, I hope that much less than half will be borne by the students. Once the stadium is paid for, then I hope that either the fee goes away or is greatly reduced to pay for a few enbellishments and/or maintenance.