Mean Green Vs. Ponies, 2014

Smitty

Counting this year, there are six seasons to be played before UNT faces SMU again. When the rivalry is renewed, who will be the head coaches?

If Dodge or Jones hasn't started winning by then, it seems unlikely that either would keep his job. If they're winning impressively (reaching the top 25), chances are good that at least one will move on to a bigger job. Then there's just plain restlessness, to which Jones seems vulnerable. However, if they're competitive in their conferences and going to an occasional bowl game but not racking up big non-conference wins and not reaching top 25 status, then I think chances are decent that they would still be in place.

So what are the chances we will see Todd Dodge vs. June Jones in 2014?

And as a side topic, is Jones (at $2 million a year) on a shorter leash than Dodge? Is the pressure to win on the hilltop greater than in Denton?

My guess is there is less than a fifty percent chance of a Dodge vs. Jones NT-SMU meeting. Maybe much less. 2014 is a long way off (in football-coaching years). And I do think the pressure is greater on Jones. However, if UNT gets a new stadium, then I think the pressure will even out a bit.

I do think Jones is necessarily on a tighter leash. The boosters underwriting Jones' huge salary (by "mid-major" standards) agreed to "Pony Up" for 5 years. If they do not start seeing some return on their investment by year three, the pressure will be on big time. Less than 5-6 wins in year 3 = June is gone. On the other hand, if Jones has the measure of success necessary to meet the expectations given him (i.e., conference championships, maybe even a BCS bowl appearance), the big boys will come calling. I don't know how much more money they'll be able to offer than SMU, but they could probably stroke his ego pretty nicely.

With Dodge, some might have their expectations as high as SMU does with Jones, but they can't have their demands nearly as high--difficult to do at about 1/10th the salary. But if we were to have two more seasons like last year, I expect he would be gone after three years. If he starts winning seriously, the big boys will come calling for him, and the money they'll offer ought to be able to pull him away easily, assuming UNT doesn't find a way to give him and his staff a significant pay raise. I see him making every effort to stay through Riley's graduation, though.

So what's that mean? If Jones is able to meet the high expectations at SMU, and SMU is able to keep Jones happy enough not to leave, he'll be around in 2014. If UNT consistently improves and competes for the Sun Belt championship and has good OOC performances--but not crack the Top 25--Todd Dodge should be around in 2014.

It will probably be Todd Ford leading the Mean Green. After three conference championships, Dodge will get a head coaching job at a larger school. Todd Ford, the OC, will be groomed and ready to step in and lead the Mean Green.

It will probably be Todd Ford leading the Mean Green. After three conference championships, Dodge will get a head coaching job at a larger school. Todd Ford, the OC, will be groomed and ready to step in and lead the Mean Green.

Could you ever see us hiring a D-coordinator (Deloach) as a head coach or will we keep with the an offensive mind?

Could you ever see us hiring a D-coordinator (Deloach) as a head coach or will we keep with the an offensive mind?

I believe DeLoach could have had a head coaching job if he wanted one. I don't know anything personally, but I don't think he wants a head coaching job. I think Todd Ford is a Todge in the making. He knows this spread offense back and forward and will be a head coach somewhere in 2014.

Dodge will still be here. With the construction of the new stadium, success on the field and new donors pouring in daily to latch on to the new power in NCAA football, Dodge's salary will have skyrocketed.

Jones? He'll be coaching some JUCO after massive failure at SMU.

Dodge will still be here. With the construction of the new stadium, success on the field and new donors pouring in daily to latch on to the new power in NCAA football, Dodge's salary will have skyrocketed.

Jones? He'll be coaching some JUCO after massive failure at SMU.

I like how you think! Next time you are in Denton for a game I owe you a beer.