An Overdose Of Watered-down College Football Bowl Games

UNTflyer

There should not be as many bowls as we have, making the novelty of qualifying for such an event a watered-down farce.In the old days, a victory against a Division I (breath) Championship Subdivision would not count toward the win tally to qualify for a bowl game. Thanks to an overdose of bowl games, the NCAA had to rescind this rule.Television money is partly to blame. Not blaming the teams for accepting an invitation at all.

If Scott Hansen was the coach of North Texas and was invited to the Tiddlywinks Bowl in Wall, S.D., you would bet Scott Hansen would accept the bid despite North Texas’ non-conference victories over Texas School for the Deaf High School, Doane College (Neb.), and Rose State College (Okla.), which doesn’t even have a football program.Scott Hansen’s team beat Rose State’s intramural flag football team, 160-21. Can’t believe Rose State scored 21 on Scott Hansen’s team.Scott Hansen’s North Texas went 6-6, but by George, North Texas is going to play in 15 inches of snow in Wall. Scott Hansen will count the Wall Drug signs on the way there because North Texas will take a bus.

--------------------

One of these days, we'll stop being the butt of all these jokes.

There should not be as many bowls as we have, making the novelty of qualifying for such an event a watered-down farce.In the old days, a victory against a Division I (breath) Championship Subdivision would not count toward the win tally to qualify for a bowl game. Thanks to an overdose of bowl games, the NCAA had to rescind this rule.Television money is partly to blame. Not blaming the teams for accepting an invitation at all.

If Scott Hansen was the coach of North Texas and was invited to the Tiddlywinks Bowl in Wall, S.D., you would bet Scott Hansen would accept the bid despite North Texas’ non-conference victories over Texas School for the Deaf High School, Doane College (Neb.), and Rose State College (Okla.), which doesn’t even have a football program.Scott Hansen’s team beat Rose State’s intramural flag football team, 160-21. Can’t believe Rose State scored 21 on Scott Hansen’s team.Scott Hansen’s North Texas went 6-6, but by George, North Texas is going to play in 15 inches of snow in Wall. Scott Hansen will count the Wall Drug signs on the way there because North Texas will take a bus.

--------------------

There are too many of these things. I have said for years now, College football and NCAA could create a playoff deal and it is a win win for everyone. There is deal out there right now where Bristol Motor Sportsway is putting together a game between Tennessee and VaTech where they would pay each school in the ballpark of 20 million each to play the game. If that happens, there is no way they can't figure out a way to do the playoff and there is no way the playoff would make less money than the bowls. You could still have the lesser bowls and invite teams that are not a part of the playoff. Those fans of those schools will still attend the games or watch, as well will the same people that are going to attend and or watch now.

The presidents don't want a playoff and until that changes you can accept it or bang your head against the wall until you slip into blissful unconsciousness.

We have the system we have until the presidents change their mind. With the system we have today where the bowls are contracted up we didn't have enough bowls last year when a team like Troy stayed home.

I would gladly go back to the old system where only conference champions were locked into bowls and 6 game winners weren't getting a serious look and the bowls scrambled every year for the best match-ups they could get, but I'm not going to get that either.

--------------------

That's the perception of North Texas from the outside, which to many around here, is perfectly ok with them. We have all the fans, donors and season ticket holders we need.

Now leave your money, and go away.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Rick, as much as I agree that the mis-communication from the AD regarding practice is infuriating, I just don't see how that translates into an attitude of "we have enough fans."

In my dealings with Rick V, this just isn't the case. Now, does Rick surround himself with people who don't care, particularly one particular MGC Director? Yes. I'm hoping our new director is changing that. I witnessed a difference just with the cookout. It went MUCH smoother than last year. I'm starting to see it with more mailings and the phone call I received the other night thanking me for my donation. I'm seeing the coordinated effort to get the stadium built. It's getting better.

Rick, as much as I agree that the mis-communication from the AD regarding practice is infuriating, I just don't see how that translates into an attitude of "we have enough fans."

In my dealings with Rick V, this just isn't the case. Now, does Rick surround himself with people who don't care, particularly one particular MGC Director? Yes. I'm hoping our new director is changing that. I witnessed a difference just with the cookout. It went MUCH smoother than last year. I'm starting to see it with more mailings and the phone call I received the other night thanking me for my donation. I'm seeing the coordinated effort to get the stadium built. It's getting better.

I assure you had you been with me and several other MGC donors last August for the first scrimmage you would understand the true meaning of "infuriating" just fine.

In the very least you, unlike some here, ARE here, come to many if not ALL of the events and can see the positives along with the negatives. I too see the positives also. But there's great room for improvement, which has been stated ad nauseam.

Rick

There are too many of these things. I have said for years now, College football and NCAA could create a playoff deal and it is a win win for everyone. There is deal out there right now where Bristol Motor Sportsway is putting together a game between Tennessee and VaTech where they would pay each school in the ballpark of 20 million each to play the game. If that happens, there is no way they can't figure out a way to do the playoff and there is no way the playoff would make less money than the bowls. You could still have the lesser bowls and invite teams that are not a part of the playoff. Those fans of those schools will still attend the games or watch, as well will the same people that are going to attend and or watch now.

Eddie Gossage, general manager of Texas Motor Speedway, floated the idea of Texas and Oklahoma playing their game at the speedway.

I agree that there are too many bowls, but I'd like to think there would be a happy medium...don't forget that UNT was once ranked #2 in the nation and left out of a Bowl game, back when there were only like 10 bowls.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Isn't it odd that we would have this thread right after the Belt gaining possible access to three more bowls? But, you are absolutely right; there are too many bowls. They should see how many 7-5 teams there were on average over the last three seasons and have one less bowl. A team should have a 7 win season (excluding FCS games) to qualify for a bowl.

Of course, there should be a playoff system, supplemented by maybe a dozen bowls but that's for another thread.

What are you talking about? :blink:

There was a time that in the same year (late 70s) that North Texas was ranked in the top 25 for a short period in both basketball and football. This was near the time that we were snubbed for a Sun Bowl bid which was one of the contributing factors to Coach Fry leaving North Texas in frustration with the bowl situation. Other than golf in the 50's I can never remember North Texas having that high a national rating in any sport. I do agree with the poster's premise that when teams like Troy are snubbed by bowl selection committees for 6th and 8th place teams from other conferences there is still an injustice.

Edited by DallasGreen

We were never ranked #2 and were not snubbed by the Sun Bowl. Liberty Bowl execs came to the last game of the year in Denton, saw how poor the support was, the bad weather didn't help, and took their invite elsewhere. Fry took his staff to Iowa and that is the rest of the story.

I agree that there are too many bowls, but I'd like to think there would be a happy medium...don't forget that UNT was once ranked #2 in the nation and left out of a Bowl game, back when there were only like 10 bowls.

I think this was when our Dickey-led team led the nation in scoring offense and most passing yards ever in season... B)

Nice :P

I'm serious though, it might have been a misquote or maybe the person misspoke, but I remember it because I was like, "What the hell? I never knew we ever had that high of a ranking..." Maybe whoever put it up could bail me out here... :o

Nice :P

I'm serious though, it might have been a misquote or maybe the person misspoke, but I remember it because I was like, "What the hell? I never knew we ever had that high of a ranking..." Maybe whoever put it up could bail me out here... :o

Perhaps you mis-rememberated when someone said something about how we need to be more like USF, who reached a #2 ranking last year.