August Practice

Dodge2007

Didn't RV make reference on the podcast to two players coming back to the team who were not on the roster last year? Do we know who they are yet?

RV also made reference that he had to turn down a home/home with Louisville starting in 2009; no reason given but it must have been a conflict with a $ game we already had set for next year. Rats, that would have been fun to see Louisville in Denton again! :(

Didn't RV make reference on the podcast to two players coming back to the team who were not on the roster last year? Do we know who they are yet?

RV also made reference that he had to turn down a home/home with Louisville starting in 2009; no reason given but it must have been a conflict with a $ game we already had set for next year. Rats, that would have been fun to see Louisville in Denton again! :(

Ya...he said he turned it down becuase we had already set our 2009 schedule....

FYI, Troy Franklin is not 300 lbs. More like 260 or so.

Think we need to redshirt Riley in order to spread that gap of time out between him and Giovanni. However, if Giovanni goes down early in the year, pull the redshirt off of Riley and play him. Did anyone else find it interesting (slightly) that Riley was the QB in the THSCA All-Star game for the North squad, and he was playing against the South squad coached by David Byrd who was Giovanni Vizza (and Sam Dibbrell's) high school coach at SA Alamo Heights?

you would be incorrect on Troy's weight!

Draylen Ross could be the other? He wasn't on the spring roster, right?

Draylen Ross was on the spring roster. And, I'm pretty sure he will be here this fall. As a matter of fact, he wears Booger's old number.

Edited by SUMG

Guest GrayEagleOne

I probably need to go back and listen again but I took RV to say on the defensive line. I also took him to mean that the person wasn't here last year (2007) which could be taken two ways. They could have been here and just not played due to redshirting. That would likely be Scoggins and Russo. It would not include either Ross or Sykes. I also thought that it might mean someone who was recruited (or formerly played) but wasn't here in 2007. The only ones that I could find that fit that description are Tim Patton and Kendrick Ridge but I'm doubtful that it's either of them. I guess we'll find out next week.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Are you sure about that?

I've got a copy of the spring roster in my hand...Draylen Ross #92 is on it. I'm sorry I don't know how to prove it---you'll just have to take my word for it.

As to him being here this fall...I met Draylen at Chicken Express in June. He's a nice young man. I asked him about his grades...he told me he was doing great. Plus, he was on the field a few weeks (according to BVito) when our guys were doing voluntary 7-on-7 drills. Does that sound like someone who thinks he's not going to be around?

So am I 100% sure he'll be here practicing next week? No. But, it looks likely that he will.

Out of the athletic office, look for two former SLC players not to be on the roster this season. I would be shocked if they come back.

I'm guessing you won't reveal the names, but I hope one isn't Fentriss. Anyone know how his rehab is progressing?

My weight estimate was way off, sorry about that S. Franklin! Hope that Troy is getting quicker in the process of gaining weight and is able to maintain his speed. What did he play at last fall for Celina?

So your post that TF was 260 was purely a guess?

What intrigues the MGN, regarding going into fall practice?

Can Gary DeLoach turn around the defense, and the DL?

I say yes he can. He knows the players and how they preform.

Will there be any new JUCO's? No, the staff will play the guys we have.

There are quality defensive players, veterans and new recruits that will

make a difference. Joesph Miller will be the starting point at DT. Mack Cole

at DE? Maybe. Will charlie Brown slide over from DT back to DE? I hope so.

NT, Ike Thomas, I question his health. Drayland Ross is huge, and can be

considered a strong candidate at NG or DT. Stewart, only played sparingly LY.

Cantley, still too young, needs seasoning. Hawthorne, looks more like a DE

right now. How about McMillan, the walk on from Aledo? There is recruit Troy

Franklin, who has been working out, reported to be 6-5, 300+. Played DT in HS.

This guy is a stud, but was recruited to play OT. I think he ends up at DT, and will

play alot this season. LB's will be set with Robertson, Nweigwe, and Penson, and real

quality back up's. The secondary will be loaded with talent-too many battles to

note here. Developing the secondary will be fun to watch. Along with the defense,

special teams will be my next focus. LY, the two blocked punts by FAU cost us a big

win. Please teach the line assignements! KO's were handled by Micah Mosely LY. I do

not want my starting RB handling KO's. Transfer Jamel Jackson lit up spring ball with

his punt and KO return skills. How about Lance Dunbar, Royce Hill or John Shorter

having a try handling kicks.

Yes there are questions to be answered. I have a very good feeling the coaches

already have the answers, with the players we have on the roster now!

This is encouraging. The DL is the one area that I'm really concerned about, so I appreciate the positive outlook/good info.