Well, This Is Bad News/good News

flyeater

What do you think is the reason that people of Denton don't support North Texas? College towns everywhere else support their college. Doesn't North Texas being a 'best buy college' endear it to the community? Are they disappointed in it's academic programs?

I just can't figure it out. What gives North Texas such a bad image?

Why Denton doesn't support North Texas is the same reason why Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston don't really support their respective universities very well: too many entertainment options, primarily professional sports.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The larger $20 million donation by Emmett and Miriam McCoy benefits the Business school and it will now be renamed The McCoy College of Business Administration.

North Texas is much older, has more alumni, and generally an academic reputation at least equal to Texas State.....but why are no buildings on campus named after donors? They're all named after old university presidents, with the exception of the Lupe Murchinson Hall where the donor defaulted on much of the original financial commitment.

Why is that? Why are the North Texas alumni not making an emotional attachment to the university?

From what I understand, the College of Business is actively seeking a donor to buy the naming rights to the school.

For the longest time, there was a North Texas president many moons ago, I don't remember which one, that said we don't need alumni making donations to the school.

From what I understand, the College of Business is actively seeking a donor to buy the naming rights to the school.

For the longest time, there was a North Texas president many moons ago, I don't remember which one, that said we don't need alumni making donations to the school.

It was before my time...but his name was J.C. Matthews.

Why Denton doesn't support North Texas is the same reason why Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston don't really support their respective universities very well: too many entertainment options, primarily professional sports.

First, I'm not asking about just athletics. And even if that is the case, do you think that a substantial populace from Denton is regularly attending the professional sports events? There are pro sports fans in every college city but they still love their college.

Overall, athletics attendance aside, why don't the people and businesses of Denton love the University of North Texas? What has caused this problem with the university's perception?

Overall, athletics attendance aside, why don't the people and businesses of Denton love the University of North Texas? What has caused this problem with the university's perception?

The possible answer may be found HERE!

North Texas received no points in the Directors' Cup standings,

Which is a nice way of reminding the readers of the Dallas Morning News that during this past '07-'08 season NT did not factor into anything. Considering the fact that North Texas has ONE post season/conference tournament win in 62 years between Football and Men's Basketball, it is easily understantable as why it is that on the average, the masses of alumni don't donate, are not proud of their school and will never return and new alumni will be expected to harbor the same attitudes in the future unless given a reason to change.

FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

What I think many of the naysayers fail to take into account that there already is a token fee of around $63 per semester per student which is applied toward athletics. It is far too small and look how it has affected the university's image.

If raised to the state maximum, the TOTAL increase per semester for each student (around $177) isn't even enough money to fill a gas tank twice but it would do wonders for the value of their degree.

Then factor in that the increase could be implemented in increments over several years (maybe $30 per year over 6 years) and the transition would be virtually painless. Incoming students paying the larger fee would be making their college selection fully aware of the costs and the benefits.

I don't know the cause but the "we don't like NT" has at least been around since I was a student in the early 70's and hadn't changed any when my daughter graduated in 2005. I've heard everything from "students think they're better than us" to "too many students clogging up the town." Kind of like the parking problem, it never changes. Maybe it's hereditary. :P

GMG!

I don't know the cause but the "we don't like NT" has at least been around since I was a student in the early 70's and hadn't changed any when my daughter graduated in 2005. I've heard everything from "students think they're better than us" to "too many students clogging up the town." Kind of like the parking problem, it never changes. Maybe it's hereditary. :P

GMG!

It's beacause the university hasn't done anything in a very long time that would endear it to the community.

The things that the university pretends it prides itself on make very little (or none at all) impression on the public.

Edited by ADLER

It's beacause the university hasn't don anything in a very long time that would endear it to the community.

The things that the university pretends it prides itself on make very little (or none at all) impression on the public.

Do you think raising the student fee to the state maximum would endear it to community?