Germaine To Safety? Interesting….

Cerebus

Germaine started at linebacker under DD, I wonder why he was switched to safety. It seems to me that he could help a lot more at linebacker than safety. While there is not a whole lot of returning experience at safety, the position is loaded with new potentially very good players. I don't see the logic in giving Dawson a lot of time at safety in his senior year at the expense of Edwards, Hill, Shorter, Phillips, Williams and others.

You raise a good point, but I am an advocate of redshirting as many of your true freshmen as you can especially now while we are rebuilding the program. Edwards as a JUCO transfer would of course be an exception and he is expected to make a major impact - once he arrives. Now that said, if one of them just completely impresses the coaching staff in the Fall camp you have to get them on the field. I feel like Dawson got a raw deal last year and as a senior deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Jermain made the move to safety last year when we went to the 4-3 from the 3-4 and his outside linebacker position was terminated. Keep up people.

Germaine Dawson, 6-1, 215, is a very good player. Great walk on story-now

if can have a very good 2008 season to end his career!

I always thought here is a kid with LB toughness, with the speed to play

safety. Sems like a natural fit with Dawson's talent.

I hope he can play alot this season, anywhere on the field. Safety, LB,

Special teams. The kid needs to to be on the field.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Dawson had a very good 2006, only to be shafted last year. I think that DeLoach will have him on the field a lot more this year. He seems to be the best we have at the safety blitz. He should either start or be a stron backup, seeing a lot of playing time.

As to the true freshmen competitors, I don't see them being able to pass Germaine but I do see several of them lettering on special teams. I think Williams, Shorter, Hamilton, R. Hill, and Cook are just going to be better than our current special teams players that they have to see the field this year. Allowing our opponents good field position cost our defense last year and I don't see us making the same mistake again this year.

Couple of comments, even if the freshmen safeties are redshirted, that still leaves Agobottah, Hill, Garden, and Edwards at the safety positions. Also. Dawson played lb for NT prior to last year; he was not switched when NT went to a 3-4.

Dawson is a good player, and whether he plays safety or outside linebacker; he should be a contributor this year.

Back to the redshirt question, IMO TD loaded up on defensive backs because he saw that as a big need positions particularly after losing underclassmen Roman, Chatman, Green, Nelson, and Ealey. I really don't think it is in his plans to redshirt all 6 recruited high school backs. I doubt more than 2 redshirt. I hope and think TD will coach to win the conference this year, nor being content to just build for the future.