Drc Article On Daniel Mayberry

OldTimer

Here ya go

Football: Mayberry returning home to UNT

Dallas WR is first 2009 commitment for Mean Green

12:17 AM CDT on Saturday, June 21, 2008

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

The names and scores have since faded from Daniel Mayberry's memory, but the Dallas Spruce standout is certain of one aspect of a tough time earlier in his life.

Mayberry attended more than a few North Texas games while he was living in a children's home in Denton during his seventh and eighth grade years.

"I lived there while my parents worked some things out," Mayberry said. "Once they got situated, I moved back to Dallas.

"It's a good feeling to come back to somewhere I am familiar with."

Mayberry (6-1, 179) secured that opportunity late Thursday night when he orally committed to play for UNT beginning in the 2009 season. Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits in the Class of 2009 can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 4.

Mayberry was a first-team selection at quarterback on the District 13-4A all-district team last season, when he threw for 959 yards and 10 touchdowns in addition to rushing for 179 yards and five touchdowns.

Mayberry is expected to move to wide receiver at UNT, a transition Spruce offensive coordinator Justin Owens said that Mayberry will begin to make this fall.

Gabriel Rodriguez moved into the Spruce attendance zone and will start at quarterback this season, allowing Mayberry to move to slot receiver.

"Daniel will be a perfect fit for North Texas because he is best in the slot," Owens said. "He is slender, quick and is a great athlete. He lacks the typical size to be an outside receiver. In [uNT head coach Todd]Dodge's system you can be smaller and make plays from the slot."

Mayberry passed on an offer from UT-El Paso and interest from Louisiana Tech, Tulsa and SMU to become the first player in the Class of 2009 to commit to play for the Mean Green.

"It's a good feeling to be the first person in the recruiting class," Mayberry said.

The addition of Mayberry marks the second straight year that UNT has landed a player from Dallas ISD, a hotbed for talent that Dodge has said he would like to tap into on a regular basis.

UNT signed defensive back DaWaylon Cook of Dallas Samuell and wide receiver Willie Taylor from Dallas Hillcrest in its 2008 class. UNT assistant coach Clayton George was the head coach at Hillcrest from 2004-05.

"North Texas is making a push in the DISD," Owens said. "Having Clayton helps them, and they have signed a couple of DISD players. The kids from the DISD are a good fit for North Texas. A lot of kids from the DISD have never been out of state and want to stay close to home."

By committing to UNT, Mayberry was able to stay close to his home in Dallas and return to a city that was his home for two years.

"It helped North Texas that Daniel knew about the area," Owens said. "He came to their camp and they showed him a lot of love."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas commitments

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for North Texas beginning in 2009:

WR Daniel Mayberry Dallas Spruce

What I like best about this signing (besides the addition of a quality athlete with some speed of course) is that Todge is only going after one receiver in this class.

I also like, per the Vito blog, that Todge was direct with this player telling him that he was his #2 receiver target and that he would be the only one signed. That had to have made him feel pretty cool.

I hope this small stream of dfw players turns into a tsunami and unt begins dominating the metro landscape.

I hope this small stream of dfw players turns into a tsunami and unt begins dominating the metro landscape.

Your use of the word tsunami reminds me of the time my wife and I were visiting a local Church and an older asst pastor was preaching. After the sermon they passed a collection plate to send money to the tsunami victims...except he used the word sodomy victums....several times...not recognizing the difference. Thought everyone could use a laugh.

OldTimer

that makes me wish I would have used sodomy, much funnier!

Your use of the word tsunami reminds me of the time my wife and I were visiting a local Church and an older asst pastor was preaching. After the sermon they passed a collection plate to send money to the tsunami victims...except he used the word sodomy victums....several times...not recognizing the difference. Thought everyone could use a laugh.

OldTimer

:D Too funny!