Any Updates

bigrobdsp

Only after men's soccer! :lol: OK...so, give me a breat GreenBat...I am just kidding. I don't think we'll see ANY new sports added until the football stadium is up and going! First things first and adding men's baseball certainly cannot be THAT high on the priority list. Can it?

Only after men's soccer! :lol: OK...so, give me a breat GreenBat...I am just kidding. I don't think we'll see ANY new sports added until the football stadium is up and going! First things first and adding men's baseball certainly cannot be THAT high on the priority list. Can it?

Actually, I'd like to see Men's soccer back, but only after baseball. And if no sports will be added until the football stadium goes up, it will be at-least 10 years before there is a tiddly-winks team added.

Oh, Yee, of little faith! Ten years????? The stadium will be built long before your ten year wait is up, green bat...you gotta believe and have a bit more faith...it is getting closer every day!

...it is getting closer every day!

So is death.

I'm going to shock KRAM1, but I remember our great men's soccer teams back in the 70's. My concern with adding men's soccer is who do you play? I honestly can't think of more than 1 or 2 D1 colleges in Texas or the Southwest that even sponsor men's soccer. It seems the travel would be horrendous.

I would eventually love to see other different sports be added by NT such as Lacrosse, Rugy and certainly ice hockey. I know Ice Hockey would be expensive but I really think it would be a success at UNT...It would be something very different and exciting.

That's pretty bold. I would love ice hockey as well, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime. Here are the Division I hockey teams. The closest teams as far as I can tell are Alabama-Huntsville, and a few in Colorado. Talk about travel costs, not to mention the costs of building a suitable arena (or converting the Super Pit). I would love to see it happen, though!

well just sit back and hibernate for a while then if you desire a new sport to be added, because that stadium is at the very least probably 10 years away.

There is talk about travel costs for men's soccer and then folks advocate for men's baseball? How much travel is involved in a season that will play up to 50 games...not to mention the cost of a baseball complex and practice facilities, equipment coaching staffs, uniforms, insurance, etc., etc. We have a soccer pitch, uniforms and equipment for soccer is minimal and there are man7y fewer games played in a season with half being at home. I do agree that there is a definite problem with men's soccer in who to play...that is a given...there is SMU, Tulsa, New Mexico and Tulane (? - maybe) that are somewhat close, but after that...its a trip. Still it adds many $$$ to the athletic dept. budget for a prot that will not fund itself with ticket revenue...neither will baseball...or donations, so gotta just hope for the best someday.

Lifer, yes, the 70's and early 80's were great for UNT men's soccer. I believe it is still the "winningest" sport in UNT athletic history. I ref'ed a "practice/pre-season" game for UNT once when the actual scheduled ref did not show up. Just happened to have my referee uniform in the car and one of the UNT ass't coaches knew I was a USSF certified referee. Fun, but geezzz, did the players ever gripe about some of my absolutely wonderful calls during the game. I did get out alive and told them they got what they paid for! I did it for free! Ha!

When soccer would have to travel out of state for a majority of their road games while baseball could play:

TCU, Baylor, UT, A&M, TSUSM, Dallas Baptist, Tech, OU, Pan American, Texas Southern, Houston, Rice, Sam Houston, Lamar, SFA, La Tech, etc... that are in state are as close as many in state schools.

Guest 97and03

When soccer would have to travel out of state for a majority of their road games while baseball could play:

TCU, Baylor, UT, A&M, TSUSM, Dallas Baptist, Tech, OU, Pan American, Texas Southern, Houston, Rice, Sam Houston, Lamar, SFA, La Tech, etc... that are in state are as close as many in state schools.

UTA

I watched the big 12 tournament finale this weekend and was wondering if it was still a POA to get a baseball team up and running? any new news?

Al Goldfield offered to finance the startup expenses for Baseball a few years ago and was not able to to so because of Title IX. That is the key to funding. We won't get baseball until we can fund a new woman's sport. I don't think any of this will happen until the stadium is funded.

Personally, I am not in favor of adding any new program/sport (yes, that includes men's soccer) UNTIL the stadium is built. That should be the FIRST and BIGGEST priority as far as facilities or new programs goes at UNT.

Well, that and selling more season tickets to both football and basketball. That's a hint folks, get out your checkbooks and buy tickets...best way to raise funding for a new stadium...fill the that we curremtly use each game! There you have it, your personal way to help fund a new stadium. If you can...this is it, and you get some great fall weekends with a bunch (but not nearly enough) of your MEAN GREEN NATION FRIENDS!

Personally, I am not in favor of adding any new program/sport (yes, that includes men's soccer) UNTIL the stadium is built. That should be the FIRST and BIGGEST priority as far as facilities or new programs goes at UNT.

Well, that and selling more season tickets to both football and basketball. That's a hint folks, get out your checkbooks and buy tickets...best way to raise funding for a new stadium...fill the that we curremtly use each game! There you have it, your personal way to help fund a new stadium. If you can...this is it, and you get some great fall weekends with a bunch (but not nearly enough) of your MEAN GREEN NATION FRIENDS!

Thats a really good thought but if we really are far from getting the stadium at this point then I think we still need to continue a course in advancing UNT athletics if need be. Again its not that we dont have football and we are not D1. If we can get Mens Soccer and Baseball and other sports that will evolve and make the UNT athletics better then I think we need to do that in my opinion.