Holy @#$%!

SUMG

Having 5 scholarships taken is a pretty big deal, I think of our star receiver last year and how he got his.

But when the recruiters tell the parents that UNT has one of the worst success rates of keeping their kids in school, especially with UNT not really being the road to the NFL. I think education could sit pretty high with most our recruits.

Spoken like someone who chooses to not understand what is going on....

The 5 Scholarships that are lost are NOT being taken away from ANYONE. They are not being utilized due to attrition. So it did not hurt the signing class this year. And it WILL prevent 5 practice squad players (who are currently enrolled and playing football and do not expect to get a scholarship) from getting a full ride. So 5 current practice squad players will not get bragging rights saying that they got a full ride.

IF TODD DODGE CAN NOT EXPLAIN WHY WE LOST FIVE SCHOLARSHIPS (TO FUTURE RECRUITS WHO SHOULD PLAY AND WILL GET A SCHOLARSHIP AS A FRESHMAN) THEN HE IS ABSOLUTELY NOT THE MAN FOR THE JOB. IT IS A SHAME AND MAYBE UNFAIR THAT WE GOT HIT SO HARD BUT IT SHOULD NOT HINDER OUR SUCCESS AT THIS POINT.

Spoken like someone who chooses to not understand what is going on....

The 5 Scholarships that are lost are NOT being taken away from ANYONE. They are not being utilized due to attrition. So it did not hurt the signing class this year. And it WILL prevent 5 practice squad players (who are currently enrolled and playing football and do not expect to get a scholarship) from getting a full ride. So 5 current practice squad players will not get bragging rights saying that they got a full ride.

IF TODD DODGE CAN NOT EXPLAIN WHY WE LOST FIVE SCHOLARSHIPS (TO FUTURE RECRUITS WHO SHOULD PLAY AND WILL GET A SCHOLARSHIP AS A FRESHMAN) THEN HE IS ABSOLUTELY NOT THE MAN FOR THE JOB. IT IS A SHAME AND MAYBE UNFAIR THAT WE GOT HIT SO HARD BUT IT SHOULD NOT HINDER OUR SUCCESS AT THIS POINT.

Well aside from the attack, and yes I do understand what is going on and yes it still is a big deal!

You are right, now on top of all the selling Todd Dodge has to do to get a higher profile kid up to Denton now he has an extra hurtle to overcome.

If you think 5 ships are no big deal, you may want to talk to a coach. Not sure about your practice squad notion either, with a red shirt everyone has five years eligibility that gives you 17 ships per class, now I know that does not work that way exactly but you can bet we will feel those missing five next year.

If you think 5 ships are no big deal, you may want to talk to a coach. Not sure about your practice squad notion either, with a red shirt everyone has five years eligibility that gives you 17 ships per class, now I know that does not work that way exactly but you can bet we will feel those missing five next year.

Great suggestion. To really understand the loss of 5, do go talk to one of the coaches. Craig Miller did a segment on this very thing years ago, and I never really understood it till he did this segment. Suffices to say, as KingDL1 says, this is a big deal.

How many games are one play away from our victory? Or how many starters get a 1 or 2 play breather so they can come back in stronger and make the play that wins the game.

I don’t know what to say, really. Three minutes till the biggest battle of our professional lives all comes down to today. Now either we heal as a team or we’re gonna crumble, inch by inch, play by play, 'til we’re finished.

We’re in hell right now, gentlemen, believe me. And, we can stay here -- get the shit kicked out of us -- or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell one inch at a time.

Now, I can’t do it for you. I’m too old. I look around. I see these young faces, and I think -- I mean -- I made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who’s ever loved me. And lately, I can’t even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know, when you get old in life things get taken from you. I mean that's...part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life’s this game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small -- I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it.

The inches we need are everywhere around us.

They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the fuckin' difference between winning and losing! Between livin' and dyin'!

I’ll tell you this: In any fight, it’s the guy who’s willing to die who’s gonna win that inch. And I know if I’m gonna have any life anymore, it’s because I’m still willin' to fight and die for that inch. Because that’s what livin' is! The six inches in front of your face!!

Now I can’t make you do it. You got to look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes! Now I think you’re gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. You're gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows, when it comes down to it, you’re gonna do the same for him!

That’s a team, gentleman!

And, either we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.

That’s football guys.

That's all it is.

Now, what are you gonna do?

I don’t know what to say, really. Three minutes till the biggest battle of our professional lives all comes down to today. Now either we heal as a team or we’re gonna crumble, inch by inch, play by play, 'til we’re finished.

We’re in hell right now, gentlemen, believe me. And, we can stay here -- get the shit kicked out of us -- or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell one inch at a time.

Now, I can’t do it for you. I’m too old. I look around. I see these young faces, and I think -- I mean -- I made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who’s ever loved me. And lately, I can’t even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know, when you get old in life things get taken from you. I mean that's...part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life’s this game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small -- I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the fuckin' difference between winning and losing! Between livin' and dyin'!

I’ll tell you this: In any fight, it’s the guy who’s willing to die who’s gonna win that inch. And I know if I’m gonna have any life anymore, it’s because I’m still willin' to fight and die for that inch. Because that’s what livin' is! The six inches in front of your face!!

Now I can’t make you do it. You got to look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes! Now I think you’re gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. You're gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows, when it comes down to it, you’re gonna do the same for him!

That’s football guys.

That's all it is.

Melodramatic, slightly.

That’s football guys.

That's all it is.

Amazing. Even reading I can still hear Pacino's raspy haggard voice.......

Absolutely amazing.....

Well aside from the attack, and yes I do understand what is going on and yes it still is a big deal!

You are right, now on top of all the selling Todd Dodge has to do to get a higher profile kid up to Denton now he has an extra hurtle to overcome.

The ships are not in jeopardy because they are not being used. The athletes that were going to use them are not coming back. 5 ships a year every year is a big deal. but not just for one year.

Let me ask you something. Is every player that has a locker and pads on scholarship?? The answer is no.. So the question becomes who among you (who is currently paying your own way) is not going to get one of these ships through default because someone flunked out or is hurt. And by the way many coaches honor the ships of injured players because of the emotional impact the give the team. So that is one less ship that they can offer. And how about kickers. They almost always start their college career without a scholarship and then MAYBE get one their senior year... So you see there are many players that play without a scholarship.

The ships are not in jeopardy because they are not being used. The athletes that were going to use them are not coming back. 5 ships a year every year is a big deal. but not just for one year.

Let me ask you something. Is every player that has a locker and pads on scholarship?? The answer is no.. So the question becomes who among you (who is currently paying your own way) is not going to get one of these ships through default because someone flunked out or is hurt. And by the way many coaches honor the ships of injured players because of the emotional impact the give the team. So that is one less ship that they can offer. And how about kickers. They almost always start their college career without a scholarship and then MAYBE get one their senior year... So you see there are many players that play without a scholarship.

The one thing you may be missing here is the fact that our BEST player is one of these players.

Other than that rarity...and there will be an obligatory Chris Hurd post as well...I agree with you that this is not a significant penalty.

And no where near as painful as the one levied on the hoops team

The one thing you may be missing here is the fact that our BEST player is one of these players.

Other than that rarity...and there will be an obligatory Chris Hurd post as well...I agree with you that this is not a significant penalty.

And no where near as painful as the one levied on the hoops team

True and Favre was one of the players also. He was most likely headed to hattiesburg anyway as scout QB. He just got his Scholarship a year early and it guaranteed him coming to Southern Miss. A highly rated defensive player (cant remember his name) bolted for Bama so Brett got the ship. It is still a rarity..