Holy @#$%!

SUMG

this makes no f****ng sense that we finish 1 pt below the required yet were going to lose 2 scholarships and tons of other schools were in the 800's and had no penalties. this arbitrary crap is ridiculous on the NCAA's part.

Eight freaking scholarships would have been a killer to any momentum established by Dodge and Company.

--We have momentum???? ....We won two games last year and we won three the year before and even before that we won 2, 7 and 9.. ... Only twice in the history of North Texas have we lost 10 games and last year was one of them.

Darn, I sure thought I had passing grades in Engineering Physics, we must have skipped that chapter.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

--We have momentum???? ....We won two games last year and we won three the year before and even before that we won 2, 7 and 9.. ... Only twice in the history of North Texas have we lost 10 games and last year was one of them.

Darn, I sure thought I had passing grades in Engineering Physics, we must have skipped that chapter.

I would say we had momentum in recruiting!

NCAA thing has a huge stink about it, RV really needs to explain it. Otherwise it seems we are being held to a much higher standard by the NCAA then others, especially as many of the big dogs try to point out that we are a just a third tear school.

I would say we had momentum in recruiting!

NCAA thing has a huge stink about it, RV really needs to explain it. Otherwise it seems we are being held to a much higher standard by the NCAA then others, especially as many of the big dogs try to point out that we are a just a third tear school.

I suspect our Athletic Department knows exactly what happened and can explain it, but they don't want to tell us, because they are the ones that ultimately messed up. In fact, they have to know because they have even had to time appeal it and get some scholarships back from 8 to 5. They are probably not going to say anything about it. RV reads this board, he knows the fans are upset.

This APR "stuff" reminds me of the beginnings of Title IX compliance. It was "all over the place" and appeared to be applied "selectively" depending upon how "big a dog" you were in the NCAA world. So, for me it is DeJa Vu time! Yes, the athletic dept. knows what "up" with the situation at UNT and seems to have worked to minimize the "damage" somewhat. This is a "moving target" as you can tell from the reported penalties or non-penalties dished out. Just like the recent AA grounding of all its MD-80's for a non-issue wiring problem...the flying public was not considered, but the impact of selective enforcement was felt by lots of innocent folks. This may be the NCAA flexing its muscle once again...think anyone else will ever get the death penalty that SMU was given? Seems there have been cases where it should have been applied, but was not...this APR thing, too, will pass as a major issue once everyone gets their arms around the ever-changing rules. The good thing might just be that schools strt recruiting STUDENT athletes in lieu of simply athletes. Who knows....guess what? The sun will come up tomorrow and football season will happen come late August with the first kick-off.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Just like the recent AA grounding of all its MD-80's for a non-issue wiring problem...the flying public was not considered, but the impact of selective enforcement was felt by lots of innocent folks.

Interesting parallel - a slightly corrupted institution trying to cover its ass after being deemed to "be in bed" with one of its darlings (Southwest.) I may have a soft spot for airlines, but well done sir.

Replace Southwest with OU, Indiana, USC or a number of other schools and it works perfectly.

This whole thing really cranks my Gas!!

Seems we should do something, what I do not know. Can we write anyone?

Where the hell is RV in all this? I would like an update on why we are not suing the dog$hit out of the NCAA, a simple read and it appears this is not impartial treatment by any means.

This is not fair. And that is the problem not the loss of a few scholarships. Typically there are a few scholarships that go to the practice group and you usually have enough walk ons to fill those shoes. Would we rather have the scholarships to give sure. But this will not cause a slip in momentum. It needs to and will be corrected and then we need to move on..

This whole thing really cranks my Gas!!

Seems we should do something, what I do not know. Can we write anyone?

Where the hell is RV in all this? I would like an update on why we are not suing the dog$hit out of the NCAA, a simple read and it appears this is not impartial treatment by any means.

The AD didn't want this story out there. He is not going to come on here and post something about it, because he wants it to die down.

That and it really is not that big of a deal. Hardly anyone (other then a few mean green fans) is paying attention to it.

If you think recruiters from other schools we are in competition with are not going to make it known to the recruit and his family that we were one of the worst hit in the NCAA, then you are kidding yourself!

This is a big deal both to recruiting and to the quality of depth we can hold on the team, RV and TD will hopefully get this thing resolved quickly!

Edited by KingDL1

If you think recruiters from other schools we are in competition with are not going to make it known to the recruit and his family that we were one of the worst hit in the NCAA, then you are kidding yourself!

This is a big deal both to recruiting and to the quality of depth we can hold on the team, RV and TD will hopefully get this thing resolved quickly!

You are kidding yourself if you think that this is a major violation. A couple of practice boys will not get a free ride. They were probably not recruited anyway (atleast not heavily)... Dodge can handle this with recruites. It really is not an issue. It will be resolved. If Dodge cannot talk through this then he is not the recruiter that we thought he was... He has much bigger hurdles to jump then this... This thread should be deleteed.....

You are kidding yourself if you think that this is a major violation. A couple of practice boys will not get a free ride. They were probably not recruited anyway (atleast not heavily)... Dodge can handle this with recruites. It really is not an issue. It will be resolved. If Dodge cannot talk through this then he is not the recruiter that we thought he was... He has much bigger hurdles to jump then this... This thread should be deleteed.....

If I were a recruiter trying to capture the attention of a player that had listed UNT as a possible, I think I would slip in the notion that his schoarship may not be a solid.... I hate this news, especially since we need all possible scholarships to compete with a stronger bench than we have had in the past. How many games are one play away from our victory? Or how many starters get a 1 or 2 play breather so they can come back in stronger and make the play that wins the game. How many plays are made by a single relief of the bench. I don't know, but I don't want to give up any!

If I were a recruiter trying to capture the attention of a player that had listed UNT as a possible, I think I would slip in the notion that his schoarship may not be a solid.... I hate this news, especially since we need all possible scholarships to compete with a stronger bench than we have had in the past. How many games are one play away from our victory? Or how many starters get a 1 or 2 play breather so they can come back in stronger and make the play that wins the game. How many plays are made by a single relief of the bench. I don't know, but I don't want to give up any!

WHAT... Are you kidding me... I guarantee that 90% of the mean green fans cannot name the bottom 10 players on the team depth chart. These are the guys that get the free ride for being a walk on for so long... Those who may not get the Scholarships are not the recruited athletes who expected to get a scholarship. And if Dodge is recruiting against another school who uses the argument that "his scholarship may not be a solid" then we win. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WALKONS OR 1 STAR PLAYERS. Let it go... One of our top recruiting disadvantages is not the number of scholarships being given... HECK I don't know of 1 non-AQ team that has all Scholarships designated to "recruited athletes".

That and it really is not that big of a deal. Hardly anyone (other then a few mean green fans) is paying attention to it.

--Not sure if this is how you meant it but it is a big deal to lose those schlolarships..... How many times in the NFL does a late round draft choice turn out the one of the best? [brady was sixth, about 150 players deep in the draft] How many walk-ons make the team and do very well? Beasley Reece did for Fry and made the team and later played ten years or so in the NFL. A lot of those last "ships" that are given out late often turn out to be one of the best players from the group. It can really hurt. I believe Patrick Cobbs was one of the last given out that year.

---Part two, it just looks bad when you go recruiting next year for that to have happened. It sort of gives the message that we are concerned about only his playing ability and don't care if he gets an education.

----Having said that.. wonder what will happen at USC.... they now have a basketball player who took a lot of money and had a plasma TV in his dorm room despite the fact he came from a family of limited means...... and that comes on the heals of the Reggie Bush deal a couple of years ago where is family had a very nice house provided to them while he was at USC. Doubt the NCAA has the courage to do to USC what they did to SMU or even what they have done to some others.

----Having said that.. wonder what will happen at USC.... they now have a basketball player who took a lot of money and had a plasma TV in his dorm room despite the fact he came from a family of limited means...... and that comes on the heals of the Reggie Bush deal a couple of years ago where is family had a very nice house provided to them while he was at USC. Doubt the NCAA has the courage to do to USC what they did to SMU or even what they have done to some others.

Probably the same thing that happened to OU with the Peterson, Bomar and other scandals, absolutely nothing.

Edited by untbowler

WHAT... Are you kidding me... I guarantee that 90% of the mean green fans cannot name the bottom 10 players on the team depth chart. These are the guys that get the free ride for being a walk on for so long... Those who may not get the Scholarships are not the recruited athletes who expected to get a scholarship. And if Dodge is recruiting against another school who uses the argument that "his scholarship may not be a solid" then we win. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WALKONS OR 1 STAR PLAYERS. Let it go... One of our top recruiting disadvantages is not the number of scholarships being given... HECK I don't know of 1 non-AQ team that has all Scholarships designated to "recruited athletes".

Having 5 scholarships taken is a pretty big deal, I think of our star receiver last year and how he got his.

But when the recruiters tell the parents that UNT has one of the worst success rates of keeping their kids in school, especially with UNT not really being the road to the NFL. I think education could sit pretty high with most our recruits.

Since the NCAA did absolutely NOTHING to USC about the Reggie Bush deal, I doubt very seriously they will do anything about the bball player.