Stephens Contract

Harry

If she performs as advertised, she will be worth the money. It will finally allow North Texas to have three viable areas to actually make some money....men's basketball, women's basketball and football. It always seemed poor business to me to have only two out of three with any potential.

Let see, some complained that NT hired Stephens because they thought NT was cheap. Now when her contract is public, some fans think NT overpaid. Nothing makes sense financially when it comes to any sport at NT with the possible exception of football. Not because football really makes money, but you can make a case for intangible benefits. If you assume that WBB at NT averaged 500 paying fans a game which is a big stretch. That would be gross receipts of $2,500 a game at $5 a ticket. Assume 12 home games and that gives you annual gross receipts of $30,000. There is no way, even with the wildest projections, that WBB can be economically justified at NT. A case can be made however that a better program will benefit NT more than the additional funds expended. Despite other factors, the new women's basketball coach was going to have a comparable salary to the men's coach.

I think this is about what we all expected to see. Or at least, should have. I hope with the hiring of her assistants we can generate some positive excitement in and around the program that will ultimately lead to more wins.

I mean I guess. Im not really into womens sports, but success at anything other than sucking is good for UNT.

I have absolutely no problem with this salary. IF, of course, she finds a way to put women's BB "on the map" at UNT. It has been provern that fans will show up for quality women's BB. Just look at what SFA did in attendance during their "hay days", check Baylor, Texas Tech and UT just to mention a few...and OSU is beginning to bring them in these days too. So, it can be done. Besides, the more we get at Women's BB games, the more opportunity we have to pack the house for the men's games too! We will know women's BB has "arrived" at UNT when the games are NOT scheduled prior to the men's games when lots of folks can't get there for the tip off as they work for a living and some even commute to Dallas, Ft. Worth, etc., etc.

Good luck Coach Stephens. I wish you great success and lots of wins. It CAN happen for the MEAN GREEN. Believe it!

I have absolutely no problem with this salary. IF, of course, she finds a way to put women's BB "on the map" at UNT. It has been provern that fans will show up for quality women's BB. Just look at what SFA did in attendance during their "hay days", check Baylor, Texas Tech and UT just to mention a few...and OSU is beginning to bring them in these days too. So, it can be done. Besides, the more we get at Women's BB games, the more opportunity we have to pack the house for the men's games too! We will know women's BB has "arrived" at UNT when the games are NOT scheduled prior to the men's games when lots of folks can't get there for the tip off as they work for a living and some even commute to Dallas, Ft. Worth, etc., etc.

Good luck Coach Stephens. I wish you great success and lots of wins. It CAN happen for the MEAN GREEN. Believe it!

I dont have a problem with her salary either...hell she did accept it so its all good.

I'm not here very often, so I appreciate the hospitality when I visit. Let me say how huge the sigh of relief was in Arlington when UNT passed on the opportunity to hire Donna Capps. WHEW, that was close! I have no opinion one way or another about the coach you got - hope she's a winner - but UNT blew a sure-fire chance to have championships galore. Thanks a Million! :D

I'm not here very often, so I appreciate the hospitality when I visit. Let me say how huge the sigh of relief was in Arlington when UNT passed on the opportunity to hire Donna Capps. WHEW, that was close! I have no opinion one way or another about the coach you got - hope she's a winner - but UNT blew a sure-fire chance to have championships galore. Thanks a Million! :D

Many fans here on the board were pushing for UNT to hire Capps because she had the experience and was a known coach. Stephens has a good bio and made a good interview. Guess we'll see in a few years if this was the correct hire or not.