A Fantastic, Spirited Idea Moving Nt Forward

I haven't seen this mentioned yet and want to bring it to the attention of everyone as much as possible here on the Football board because I think it's worth noting.

Huge props go out to NT Exes director Derrick Morgan and the NT Exes for something they have started that I think is wonderful. On April 24th the NT Exes held the first formal University of North Texas Ring Ceremony to honor those who have reached the point of their college career to get their class rings. Jostens sold over 200 rings and nearly 50% of those folks showed up to this event. In fact over 300 folks that inluded families of the students were in attendance. There were members of the College of Music (a jazz string quartet) play at the reception, members of the President's Office, NT Exes Board of Director's, and the College of Journalism all participated in the actual ceremony. They also had NT40 there to help with "meet & greet" as well as ushering students to their seats for the ceremony, as well as about 15 Talon's members who concluded the ceremony by taking the stage and leading the crowd in the singing of "Glory to the Green".

Per the description sent to me by one of our posters who was in attendance that night:

The ceremony was awesome. You could tell that the students were really proud to get their rings and being affiliated with North Texas, and all seemed to really "dig" the explanation of what all of the symbols of the ring meant. The crowd got really fired up in the end when Derrick announced that the Tower was going to be lit green for the evening (thanks again to the Talons) in honor of their academic acheivements and receiving their class ring.

Folks, this is the exact kind of stance on building ties and building spirit by our leadership that this university must take in order to build strong ties with our future grads. To show them that it means much much more than just a simple piece of paper to be a graduate of NT. Hopefully this and many future things like it will help folks bind ties to the school in a way that they will want to come back and to give back after they leave. I just cannot say enough how badly we have needed something like this and I am looking forward to telling Derrick personally how much I appreciate it and will try to make the next one myself.

Rick

Fantastic... Having a ceremony always lends credibility and somehow makes things seem more important. I wish they would have had something like that when I graduated.

It is a good idea, but this was not the first ring cermony. It was the first year where it was more formal. I'm sorry that I missed it, but unfortunately there are a lot of classes scheduled for 6:30 on a Thursday.

In future years, I would suggest moving this to a Friday night, when there are no classes and everyone can attend.

I attended the ring ceremony and I have to say it was a a pretty impressive event. Interesting statistics shows a pretty proud student base; maybe growth in pride and spirit UNT has always needed more of. The Jostens folks said we sold 200 rings out of the approximately 600 students that qualified. They said that UNT sold more rings and more students attended the ring than any college of our size that Jostens services. Jostens said we should be proud of that kind of a committment to the school. That is a pretty exciting core of school spirit if you ask me.

I thought the idea of having the Talons there to lead in the alma mater was fantastic. Next year I'd love to see them decked out in full dress Talon spirit unis, whatever that might be. Maybe Boomer, the Bell and the Model A could be on hand the lawn for pictures. I was proud that McConnell tower was lighted green in honor of the student successes and victory in academic accomplishments. The students were very proud to have Derrick present them with their rings. One students family came all the way from Florida just to attend and be a part of the new tradition.

Dr.B had a lot to do with making the event happen. Derrick and staff did a great job in planning and executing a super school event!

UNT is a great place!!

My Brother and his wife are aggies ( It takes everything I have in my being to forgive them) and they had something like this, only afterwards they go down to the local bar dunk the ring in a big ol glass of beer and chug to get the ring. My understanding is the aggies exes fund pays for a portion of the ring. Anyway Congrats to all the Graduates, my wife included and I am so happy this kind of event was started. Wish I could have been a part of an event like this.

My Brother and his wife are aggies ( It takes everything I have in my being to forgive them) and they had something like this, only afterwards they go down to the local bar dunk the ring in a big ol glass of beer and chug to get the ring.

Do they at least wash some of the manure off the ring first?

Anyone have a photo of the ring?

Here is a link to the Jostins website. Click the link for Rings "official".

There are only 4 items that can be personalized on the "official" ring (which is the only ring offered).

1. The metal

2. the stone in the top - or no stone with the star only.

3. The date of graduation

4. degree letters

Both sides have an eagle at the bottom with his wings raised up "framing" the edges.

In the middle of the wings on one side is the Tower and on the other side in the middle of the wings is the School Seal.

I got the green stone. It's a beautiful ring.

One one side is the clock tower with two clock faces... one is 1:00 (for the One O'Clock Lab Band) and the other is 7:00 (the 1892 curfew time for Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute students).

Yes, the Exes ARE doing some great things these days, and I, for one, am glad folks are beginning to take notice. In addition to the "formal" ring ceremony (as was noted...this was not the first ring ceremony the Exes sponsored...just the first formal one), the Exes sponsored a networking mixer at the Exes Center on April 24th and the Denton Chapter held a chapter picnic and scholarship raffle drawing on April 26th.

If you are not a member of the Exes...you ARE missing out...if you do not get involved in the activities the Exes are sponsoring...you are missing out...and, if you want to help move things forward and help plan and work some of these events...you are MORE THAN WELCOME.

Thanks for the kind words here about the Exes Ceremony and for actually noticing all the effort the Exes are making these days to develop into a GREAT alumni association that we can all be very proud to be associated with as ACTIVE members.

JOIN THE EXES.....GO MEAN GREEN.....JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB!

Yes, the Exes ARE doing some great things these days, and I, for one, am glad folks are beginning to take notice. In addition to the "formal" ring ceremony (as was noted...this was not the first ring ceremony the Exes sponsored...just the first formal one), the Exes sponsored a networking mixer at the Exes Center on April 24th and the Denton Chapter held a chapter picnic and scholarship raffle drawing on April 26th.

If you are not a member of the Exes...you ARE missing out...if you do not get involved in the activities the Exes are sponsoring...you are missing out...and, if you want to help move things forward and help plan and work some of these events...you are MORE THAN WELCOME.

Thanks for the kind words here about the Exes Ceremony and for actually noticing all the effort the Exes are making these days to develop into a GREAT alumni association that we can all be very proud to be associated with as ACTIVE members.

JOIN THE EXES.....GO MEAN GREEN.....JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB!

I am an Exes member and want to be more involved, however I work nights during the week it makes it hard to attend meetings, how can I be more involved with a schedule like 1pm - 9pm?

Do you work weekends? Our Denton Exes picnic was on a Saturday afternoon...there are some weekend opportunities to get involved...several of the Denton Exes cahpter events this year have been held on the weekends....there are opportunities to get involved even with a challenging schedule....If you are in the Denton Chapter area and are an active Ex you should be receiving emails and flers regarding Exes events and activities...if you are not...just contact Susan Williamson or Rob McKinney at the Exes center and they will make certain you get on the distribution lists...your participation is more than wanted and wopuld be 100% welcome....thanks for your support.

Guest 97and03

That's a great idea, however I've been trying to get a chapter started in Arkansas and the NT Exes said there isn't enough interest (without even sending out a survey). We have almost 2,000 graduates living in the State. So, why should I continue to be a member? Go Mean Green !

Just start one on your own and start hosting or setting up events. Organize a mixer for NT alumni that you know at a local sports bar or have game watching parties during the season on those rare occasions we are on TV.

If you get people involved and show there is demand then they will come around. If not, to hell with them. Just keep partying with your fellow alumni anyway.

That's a great idea, however I've been trying to get a chapter started in Arkansas and the NT Exes said there isn't enough interest (without even sending out a survey). We have almost 2,000 graduates living in the State. So, why should I continue to be a member? Go Mean Green !

Because there are others in Arkansas (specifically NWA) that are members that are looking for other NT alumni to socialize with?

Because there are others in Arkansas (specifically NWA) that are members that are looking for other NT alumni to socialize with?

I agree, sometimes word of mouth can generate some interest. You may find some folks that aren't NT grads, but that have some interest through family or friends. If you could get 20-30 of those 2000, it could get off the ground.

Arkansas Eagle...yes, just see what happens...get it going yourself if you are really interested. "Run something up the flag pole and see where it takes you". Sometimes you have to take action yourself and not wait around for someone to do it for you or to "help". I would bet that if you wanted to organize something in Arkansas and set something up with a local "watering hole" for a mixer (or whatever) that the Exes would be happy to send an email announcement to all the Arkansas Exes to help hype the event. You will need to get the word out in the local papers and in any other means you can think of to raise interest. It is not as easy as you might think to get something like this going...heck, here in denton we just had an Exes Spring Picnic with free beer and soft drinks, chips/dip, etc. Sent email notices and mail out flyers and how many folks do you think showed up on a beautiful spring Saturday????? For all the time, effort and money put into the event i am too embarrased to say how many Exes took the time to even drop by...Picnic was at the Exes center on the grounds outside with the Center being open for "tours" and indoor seating if desired...it was a real nice and fun event for those who came...no problem, I just don't want you to be disappointed if you plan something and you are not "overflowing" with attendees. Just keep it up and "they will come". Just remember, you will get more folks telling you how YOU should do something than you will ever get volunteering to actually help make it happen successfully. DO NOT let that get you down...it is too much fun and too rewarding to actually be an active member of the MEAN GREEN NATION....just need to keep going...I am 100% convinced that UNT will one day soon have an Exes Association that is the envy of all....YES, I am an optimist! But, for good reason as good things are happening at UNT.

GO ARKANSAS EAGLE...."if you build it they will come"....(gee, where have I heard that before?). GO EXES...GO MEAN GREEN!

I agree with what you all are saying, but it appears that the Exes have just told ArkansasEagle, "Sorry, but you are on your own on this one." They should at least offer some sort of support, pointers, etc... What he's wanting to do is a direct benefit to them.