Who Gets Nit

eulesseagle

I doubt we're getting a NIT bid. Maybe CBI....but not NIT.

I did see though that ESPN 2 will be carrying the NIT Selection Show tonight at 8 central. Not sure, but I don't think the NIT Selection Show has been on TV before.

I doubt we're getting a NIT bid. Maybe CBI....but not NIT.

I did see though that ESPN 2 will be carrying the NIT Selection Show tonight at 8 central. Not sure, but I don't think the NIT Selection Show has been on TV before.

I think ESPNU showed it last year - but not as many folks get the U as the Duece.

2008 MasterCard NIT Field to Be Announced On ESPN2 and ESPNU

ESPN will also provide television coverage for every game of the Master Card NIT.

March 16, 2008

NEW YORK -- The 32-team field for the 2008 MasterCard National Invitation Tournament (NIT) will be announced on Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 9:00 p.m. ET on ESPNU and ESPN2.

The NIT Selection Committee, chaired by Basketball Hall of Fame member, C.M. Newton, has been meeting in Indianapolis this week. In addition to Newton, the NIT Selection Committee includes Rudy Davalos, Don DeVoe, Gene Keady, Reggie Minton, Jack Powers and Carroll Williams.

ESPN will provide television coverage for every game of the Master Card NIT, which is played regionally for the first three rounds before playing the semi-finals and final round in New York's Madison Square Garden, the tournament's home since 1938. The championship doubleheader is slated for April 1 followed by the championship game, April 3rd.

NIT LocKs (IMO):

Alabama St*

AriZona St

Creigthon

Charlotte

Dayton

Illinois St

Florida

Florida St

Ohio St

Ole Miss

UMass

Virgina Tech

Syracuse

Minnesota

Maryland

Nebraska

Virgina Commonwealth*

Houston

New Mexico

SFA*

Utah St

Nevada

Robert Morris*

Wake Forest

UC Santa Barbara*

UNC Asherville*

Looking at what teams are left after this list (6 NIT / 16 CBI spots left) , UNT will be on the CBI bubble. I think we have a 40/60 shot at getting in

Edited by NT03

If another Belt team gets a bid, it will be interesting to see which of the RPI,W/L record or conference standings are more important. Our record is better than UALR and MUTS, but MUTS has the better RPI of the three, and UALR won the West Division of the Belt.

It's probably moot, because I don't think any of the three get picked. We're pretty fortunate to have two in the NCAA as it is (though both deserve to be there).

If another Belt team gets a bid, it will be interesting to see which of the RPI,W/L record or conference standings are more important. Our record is better than UALR and MUTS, but MUTS has the better RPI of the three, and UALR won the West Division of the Belt.

It's probably moot, because I don't think any of the three get picked. We're pretty fortunate to have two in the NCAA as it is (though both deserve to be there).

I'm hoping 1 Belt teams gets into this new CBI. MTSU has a good win over Belmont team ( 25-8 Atlantic Sun Champs) ; UALR won 20 games , best win was over Tulsa (20-13 , 8-8 C-USA) , but UNT probably has the best resume of the 3 and also won 20 games with our best wins against the likes of Oklahoma State (17-15) South Bama (26-6) and New Mexico St (21-14).

Will be interesting if the CBI takes regional matchups into consideration. Say Tech winds up in the CBI , would be a nice 1st round matchup with someone like us rather than a MTSU or UALR

Edited by NT03

FLorida and Ohio State could meet again for the championship -- just not the NCAA title.

The field was announced for the National Invitational Tournament on Sunday, and the defending national champion Gators made the field, along with the Buckeyes.

Although Florida beat Ohio State for the NCAA title last season, the Buckeyes earned a higher seed in the NIT tourney this year, receiving a No. 1. Florida received a No. 2 seed.

The tournament runs from Tuesday to April 3 and will be broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN Classic. The semifinals and championship game take place in Madison Square Garden in New York.

The Big East contributed two of the other No. 1 seeds in Virginia Tech and Syracuse. Arizona State received the other top seed, in the bracket that contains Florida.

Ohio State starts play against eighth-seeded UNC-Asheville on Tuesday (7 p.m. ET, ESPN2), while Florida begins against No. 7 seed San Diego State on Wednesday (9 p.m. ET, ESPN2).

lol. at least we're not the only conference that espn doesn't pay attention to

So before heading to bed I decided to post an update on the other tournament(well, not conting the CBI, which I'm still trying to figure out) for the 3 people who care. :lol:

Arizona State, Syracuse and Florida are all one win from NY. Tommorrow Akron plays UMass for the right to play the Orange.

Monday the four other 2nd rounds games commence. Included in them is Illinois State coached by our former head man, Coach Tim Jankovich.

And as for the eternal debate...of why do we care about the NIT....once again...

Getting into the NCAA's > Getting into NIT and/or winning in rounds 1 or 2

Making NIT Final Four in NY > than getting to "the Dance" and losing 1st round

Winning 1st Round NCAA's > Making it to NY in the NIT or making NIT Finals

Winning NIT > Winning 1st round NCAA's

Making Sweet 16 or further > than anything NIT

All of course IMHO. There were alot of quality teams in that field. It IS a real accomplishment to win it.

Edited by CMJ