Spring Break Unfair To Softball

Guest GrayEagleOne

Where are the games at?

I know with tennis it was not uncommon to travel during Spring Break, for instance this year they are off to Florida for a few days of sun and 2 matches. The one year I was at UNT we traveled around Louisiana playing 6 matches and ended up in N.O. for a few days. The year before that they went to CA.

So might seem tough but many times they get to trvale to Spring Break destinations, just with a purpose.

The softball team has a whopping four games during spring break. When do they get to take theirs?

They don't get a spring break. But that's not uncommon. HS softball players normally don't have a spring break. Heck, they don't normally get much time off in the summer, because of club softball.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Where are the games at?

I know with tennis it was not uncommon to travel during Spring Break, for instance this year they are off to Florida for a few days of sun and 2 matches. The one year I was at UNT we traveled around Louisiana playing 6 matches and ended up in N.O. for a few days. The year before that they went to CA.

So might seem tough but many times they get to trvale to Spring Break destinations, just with a purpose.

I didn't look far enough...actually there are six! All are at home though. Two against South Alabama, one vs. Texas Tech, one against UT-San Antonio and two against Florida Atlantic.

Tennis is about as bad. It seems to me that they have a match during that week and the crowning blow is that they are against Marquette on Easter Sunday.

I didn't look far enough...actually there are six! All are at home though. Two against South Alabama, one vs. Texas Tech, one against UT-San Antonio and two against Florida Atlantic.

Tennis is about as bad. It seems to me that they have a match during that week and the crowning blow is that they are against Marquette on Easter Sunday.

Hmm you are right the Softball ladies did catch a bad break playing 6 matches during Spring Break and all at home. Also can not believe tennis is playing on Easter Sunday.

Not a bad gig considering not having to pay tuition though, and besides, it's good preperation for life. The working class doesn't get spring break off and because of leap year I'll again be at the firehall on Christmas and New Years this next holliday season.

Rick

I don't know what the break down on softball scholarships is , but I would guess it is very similar to DI baseball. DI baseball is only allowed 11.5 ships, they are divided between all the players . Usually only a stud pitcher has a full ride. I believe I read that next year no player can have less than 1/4 scholarship. Anyway my point is the players generally pay for their education.

Baseball has the same situation. I know of a high school baseball program many years ago in which the coach told the kids that they had games during spring break, and before the season he told the kids they needed to make a commitment to the team. If their families were going somewhere, the players could stay at the coach's home. But if they were on the team, they were expected to play during spring break. Two kids in mid-season decided they wanted to travel at spring break, and they were kicked off the team.

Fall sports participants don't get much of a Thanksgiving holiday, winter sports players get less of a Christmas break than other kids, and spring sports players get less of a spring break. That's the price of playing.

Baseball has the same situation. I know of a high school baseball program many years ago in which the coach told the kids that they had games during spring break, and before the season he told the kids they needed to make a commitment to the team. If their families were going somewhere, the players could stay at the coach's home. But if they were on the team, they were expected to play during spring break. Two kids in mid-season decided they wanted to travel at spring break, and they were kicked off the team.

Fall sports participants don't get much of a Thanksgiving holiday, winter sports players get less of a Christmas break than other kids, and spring sports players get less of a spring break. That's the price of playing.

I played HS baseball and never travelled on Spring Break except to baseball games. It's not that big of a deal, as least it wasn't to me.

I rteally doubt that any member of the softball team is worried about missing spring break. They do, however, get spring break...no classes, no study halls and no tests! And, they get to do exactly what they love to do...play softball. So, what's the problem with that? This is common in college sports..if you did not realize that before, you certainly must be "new" to the college sports scene....

GO LADIES......GO MEAN GREEN!

EASY Solution... Do away with Spring Break...Just go to class and get more instruction for your money...LOL... We never had one during the 60's at NT when I was there. [ true] Tech is only college in Texas that had one that I know of. UT and Aggies didn't nor did Baylor. By the way Tech got out the same time we did, not later.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

• 4 weeks later...

THIS IS DIVISION ONE SOFTBALL!!! IT'S THE SUNBELT, THIS AIN'T INTRAMURALS! If you want more days off go play intramurals sista... go play intramurals.

Classic...... Nice quote. All college athletes have to make sacrifices while playing, some are vacation times and others are not being able to party but they are all done for the love of the game.