Best Nt Basketball Players

GrandGreen

I wonder who you think are the best basketball players you have seen play for the Mean Green. Attending NT during the golden era, late 60's when IMO NT had both the best basketball and football teams in history, I go back too many years.

I think Joe Hamilton was the best BB player, I have seen for the Green. However, I think Kenneth Lyons was probably the most valuable as he was the best player on the team for all four years while Hamilton was a Juco transfer and only played two years.

My all time best teams

First:

6'7 Kenneth Lyons -The toughest player I have seen at NT

5'10 Joe Hamilton - Deadly shooter, great quickness; All conference in easily the best league in the country at the time

6'2 Leroy Winfield - Jumped center at 6'2 and played forward

6'5 Chris Davis - A do everything guard, deserves super credit for sticking with Trilli

6'6 Jessie Ratliff - Another player who was the best player on the team beginning with his freshman year

Second:

6'8 Terry Bailey - Best offensive center

6'2 Carl Jones - Great shooting guard

6'7 Phil Worrell - Led NT's first NCAA tournament team

6'6 Bobby Iverson - Best athlete ever? High School All American, All MVC

6'2 Crest Whitaker - Super quick

Others of note:

6'8 Adam Smith

6'8 Willie Davis

6'7 Fred Mitchell

6'7 Kenneth Williams

6'8 Melvin Davis

6'2 Jon Manning

5'9 Deon Hunter

6'6 Ronnie Morgan

6'4 Eph McDaniel

6'5 Al Shumate

6' Weasel Johnson

6'1 Neil Adams

6'1 Pat Hicks

6'5 Calvin Watkins

6'8 Stan Blackman

Edited by GrandGreen

I wonder who you think are the best basketball players you have seen play for the Mean Green. Attending NT during the golden era, late 60's when IMO NT had both the best basketball and football teams in history, I go back too many years.

I think Joe Hamilton was the best BB player, I have seen for the Green. However, I think Kenneth Lyons was probably the most valuable as he was the best player on the team for all four years while Hamilton was a Juco transfer and only played two years.

My all time best teams

First:

6'7 Kenneth Lyons -The toughest player I have seen at NT

5'10 Joe Hamilton - Deadly shooter, great quickness; All conference in easily the best league in the country at the time

6'2 Leroy Winfield - Jumped center at 6'2 and played forward

6'5 Chris Davis - A do everything guard, deserves super credit for sticking with Trilli

6'6 Jessie Ratliff - Another player who was the best player on the team beginning with his freshman year

Second:

6'8 Terry Bailey - Best offensive center

6'2 Carl Jones - Great shooting guard

6'7 Phil Worrell - Led NT's first NCAA tournament team

6'6 Bobby Iverson - Best athlete ever? High School All American, All MVC

6'2 Crest Whitaker - Super quick

Others of note:

6'8 Adam Smith

6'8 Willie Davis

6'7 Fred Mitchell

6'7 Kenneth Williams

6'8 Melvin Davis

6'2 Jon Manning

5'9 Deon Hunter

6'6 Ronnie Morgan

6'4 Eph McDaniel

6'5 Al Shumate

6' Weasel Johnson

6'1 Neil Adams

6'1 Pat Hicks

6'5 Calvin Watkins

6'8 Stan Blackman

Good list. It's Tony Worrell, btw...not Phil.

Also, some others of note that came to mind: Waymond Lister and David Miller.

Donnell Hayden was a talented transfer, and even though they were well balanced, it's hard not to mention someone from last year's team (and hopefully this year's) since they went dancing. Since he put in four good years I'll go with Calvin Watson.

Yeah and you gotta throw in Kendrick Davis...yeah he transferred and he dealt with injuries last year, but he was great. He and Calvin were the leaders of those teams.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I would add two HalL of Famers, Bud Hopkins and John Savage. Bud was 6-6 center from Krum and the leading scorer in the conference averaging nearly 20 points a game when the total score was in the 40s, 50s and 60s. John Savage was also about 6-6 from Detroit, Texas and was a prolific scorer with great moves. I believe that they were the first two basketballers inducted. There were a couple of others but they were most noted as golfers who also played basketball.

I agree that Kenneth Lyons, if not our best player ever, was certainly the most valuable. Weasel Johnson, Crest Whitaker and Joe Hamiltion were all lightning quick but I give the edge to Hamilton on shooting and maybe playmaking abili8ty; although Weasel was an exceptional playmaker. It's very hard to compare overall skills so I'll just say that Lyons was our best ever frontcourt player and Hamilton the best in the backcourt.

I can only do an all Johnny Jones team...but give me Isaac Hines on the ball, Kendrick Davis at the 2, Chris Davis at the 3, Michael DeGrate at the 4 and even if he was a headcase, give me Shawnson Johnson at the 5. Off the bench Ben Bell to back up Isaac, Calvin Watson and the very underrated Lee Green on the wing and then Quincey Williams and Will Smith to add some toughness and pull boards up front.

And Micah Bracy is on the all-walk on team by himself.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

I can only do an all Johnny Jones team...but give me Isaac Hines on the ball, Kendrick Davis at the 2, Chris Davis at the 3, Michael DeGrate at the 4 and even if he was a headcase, give me Shawnson Johnson at the 5. Off the bench Ben Bell to back up Isaac, Calvin Watson and the very underrated Lee Green on the wing and then Quincey Williams and Will Smith to add some toughness and pull boards up front.

I like your JJ-era team, but I would like to throw in Jermaine Green, who was a great glue guy. He is one of my all-time favorites.

I like your JJ-era team, but I would like to throw in Jermaine Green, who was a great glue guy. He is one of my all-time favorites.

You know Jermaine is one of the top players in his French(?, not 100% sure, so lets just go European) league? I heard he's worked on his hops and is absolutley explosive now.

If I get an amendment for a glue guy though, I gotta go with Rich Young...he was probably my all time favorite player here and one of the nicest that I've come across.

If I get an amendment for a glue guy though, I gotta go with Rich Young...he was probably my all time favorite player here and one of the nicest that I've come across.

DING, DING, DING. You are correct sir.