Florida International

Buford_Julep

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is clear to me that we won because of our first half 3-point shots, plus excellent free throwing shooting, especially in the second half down the stretch. In fact, 42 of our 60 points came from 3's and free throws.... of course, I'd rather win by 30, but I like that we found a way to win against a stifling defense that shut us down in the 2nd half.... great win boys!!!!

Attendance: 3122

Sounds like the same number as last game. Hope that's not just a generic number that we're spitting out these days. Great win. I was kind of getting down a bit on our win possibilities with around five minutes left. I had to leave for dinner near the end here in Houston and we're not broadcast on the Conroe WORD radio station down here anymore. I'll surely be there for the HUGE WKY game next week!

Sounds like the same number as last game. Hope that's not just a generic number that we're spitting out these days.

I dont think it is. I have been to he last couple of games and they all seem to be about the same, with the bottom bowl mostly full. the big difference between the game tonight, and thursdays game was the students. There must have been something going on b/c even that guy that dresses up in the old unt uni wasnt there tonight. Overall though you really gotta love to see the attendance slowly grow.

Does anyone know the difference in the attendance numbers from this year and last year? We have to be on pace to set our highest average in quite sometime.

Need more Thompson.

Wooden doesn't look as explosive as I remember from the beginning of the season. We need him throwing elbows, explosive, and making those shots (some of those last night were UGLY).

Wooden is playing hobbled right now... his and left and right ankle are injured. I am actually surprised he is playing... Look at his ankles next time you watch him play... they are taped up and braced so thick you can see it.... even in his hobbled state, he still makes a difference, though he hasn't score as much of late...

Does anyone know the difference in the attendance numbers from this year and last year? We have to be on pace to set our highest average in quite sometime.

Year.............# of Games......Total Attendance.......Average Attendance Per Game

2007-2008..........12...................35762.................................2980

2006-2007..........16...................33065.................................2067

By my estimates, we are up 914 people per game or a 44% increase in attendance over last season..... not bad!! I'm sure the NCAA tourny had alot to do with this. I think a few years back, they'd call B.S. if you told them we could get an average of 3000 people at the Super Pit for SBC games and up to 7500 for non-conference games.

It was a little too close; FIU closed that 10-pt lead kinda quick.

I don't understand teams that are up by 3 points at the end even allowing the opponent a 3-point shot. With only 10 seconds left wouldn't it be smarter to foul on the dribble for two freethrows than to hope the guy misses a three? Just seems foolish to give them a shot to tie. And we left 4 timeouts on the board too. <_<

I don't understand teams that are up by 3 points at the end even allowing the opponent a 3-point shot. With only 10 seconds left wouldn't it be smarter to foul on the dribble for two freethrows than to hope the guy misses a three? Just seems foolish to give them a shot to tie. And we left 4 timeouts on the board too. <_<

Never give free points when you have the lead.

And there exists the faintest chance of a four point play or 3 free throws if a player can manage to get a shot up

Maybe a SMU lurker can confirm this, but I seem to recall in the late 90's UTEP and SMU meeting in Vegas for the first round of the WAC Tourney. UTEP had the lead all game, 3 with < 10 seconds left on the clock.

SMU took the inbounds pass, ran the length of the floor and nailed a 3 at the buzzer to tie it, got the foul and followed throw with it to take the win with no time on the clock. Absolutely incredible.

If, in the above scenario, FIU makes both free throws and fouls NT with 5 to 9 seconds left, one or two missed free throws by NT gives FIU plenty of time to come back and tie or win the game.

IMO the intentional foul strategy is valid only if there are 5 seconds or less on the clock and the trailing team is well outside of 3-point range. Even then the foul strategy can still backfire.

Your player might over do it and get called for an intentional foul that would give the other team two shots and the ball with time to win the game. I have seen that happen in a real game.

The foul shooter could make the first and intentionally miss the second shot and their big could slap the ball back back for a wide open 20 foot 3-point shot. That actually happened in last seaon's 65-63 win over Tulsa. Fortunately, he missed it.

Free throws are not guaranteed to be made, and it's only two points. By allowing a 3-point shot you have given them a 1-in-3 chance to tie the game vs. a 1-in-1000 chance to tie it the other way. Makes no sense.

Who says they have to try and make the free throw? In Gillespie's second year @ UTEP, there was a tourney game down to the wire with the opponent clinging to a 1 point lead. They fouled UTEP (Omar Thomas? Can't recall...) with a couple seconds left on the clock and Gillespie had already coached them in this scenario:

The second the ref hands you the ball - when players are just settling and expecting you to dribble and aim - chuck it up there so badly when your only intent is to aim the rebound toward a teammate. UTEP got it, threw in a two pointer at the buzzer and won the game.

Crazy things happen either way. All things being equal, I think the odds are worse to hit the long-shot 3 and they run out of time. Plus, I've seen losing teams fall apart in the frenzy of trying to get it off in time, and then they end up not getting it off at all.

Who says they have to try and make the free throw? In Gillespie's second year @ UTEP, there was a tourney game down to the wire with the opponent clinging to a 1 point lead. They fouled UTEP (Omar Thomas? Can't recall...) with a couple seconds left on the clock and Gillespie had already coached them in this scenario:

The second the ref hands you the ball - when players are just settling and expecting you to dribble and aim - chuck it up there so badly when your only intent is to aim the rebound toward a teammate. UTEP got it, threw in a two pointer at the buzzer and won the game.

Crazy things happen either way. All things being equal, I think the odds are worse to hit the long-shot 3 and they run out of time. Plus, I've seen losing teams fall apart in the frenzy of trying to get it off in time, and then they end up not getting it off at all.

UTEP was at the line, trailing by one with a couple seconds left...and deliberately missed the shot??????? Are you sure that is what happened? No typing errors?

To my mind that would be terrible strategy.