Ryan Mallet To Transfer From Michigan - Wants To Come

gangrene

I honestly think Rodge will have a difficult time beating out Vizza, and that is a good thing. Just my HO.

Vizza at QB and Riley at WR. Vizza is solid and I think this is the optimal strategy given the personel. Either that or we have one hell of a QB battle. Oh, and Meager is done. Hopefully he never sees the field again.

Vizza at QB and Riley at WR. Vizza is solid and I think this is the optimal strategy given the personel. Either that or we have one hell of a QB battle. Oh, and Meager is done. Hopefully he never sees the field again.

Even though the guy spent the two previous years in "Flanigan Hell" without so much as spewing a negative word about it publicly, and after he goes out and sets a school record at SMU proving everyone here who had written him off long ago wrong, and yet all you can do is continue to bag on the guy as if he were gutter trash. :angry:

I swear I wonder sometimes if as a fanbase we deserve a football program at all?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Even though the guy spent the two previous years in "Flanigan Hell" without so much as spewing a negative word about it publicly, and after he goes out and sets a school record at SMU proving everyone here who had written him off long ago wrong, and yet all you can do is continue to bag on the guy as if he were gutter trash. :angry:

I swear I wonder sometimes if as a fanbase we deserve a football program at all?

Rick

Bless you sir. :clapping:

You just said what many of us here feel.

...especially me

Meager may not have been or ever will be Davey O'Brian material but he is a quality human being who has taken far more than his share of venom from his "fanbase". I wish Daniel well wherever his future takes him and I will always remember that night in September when records were set, the air was filled with footballs and SMUt chased our receivers up and down the field.

Rick

:clapping:I'm with Rick and "Lefty" here. :clapping:

What in the hell has Daniel Maeger ever done to the North Texas fan base that he catches such venom? I just wish that our fan base worked a tenth as hard being better fans, as Daniel has worked here at North Texas to be the best QB that he can be. As Rick said, considering the position coach that he had to work under (Daniel worked, the coach did God knows what) for the first two years, it's a wonder that he can walk and chew gum at the same time.

So what! if he doesn't throw 60 to 80 yard lasers to the WR's. Who the hell does......consistently? So what! if he has some "Ints" in a game? I believe that the all might GV has thrown his share of "int's" this last year. Plus, this offense lends itself to multiple "ints" in a game......regardless of who's throwing.

Unless we, as a fan base, consistently fill up fouts, yell our heads off the whole game, and (this is the one that bothers me as much as anything) consistently show up wearing the friggin school colors,( :angry: ), we have absolutely no reason to trash this young man.

Edited by SilverEagle

Its my understanding that he quit the team. Haven't heard of him surfacing anywhere.

Woody Wilson was not going to academically eligible this year and left the team, he will be at Univ. of Central AR next year, this came from an article in the Democrat Gazette back in September or October.

QB's are always the first guys to get bombed with criticism, it comes with the territory. That is why TD did a great job with DM. I think Daniel will come out this spring with all guns blazing making a case for himself again.

But once Rodge gets here, it might be a moot point. Rodge and TD have a special bond and TD has faith in his son more than any QB he has ever coached. So it will, no doubt, be interesting once fall practices start.

Edited by Dodge2007

There is no way Riley starts this season. He just had shoulder surgery. Why in the world would you rush a kid back from that when you have a Soph QB who is pretty darn good? You don't. Riley will re-hab this season.

I agree. And, from what I understand, it was a third-degree shoulder separation on his throwing arm...which is serious and likely the key factor in why Dr. Andrews was sought out to perform the surgery. I seriously doubt Riley will be ready for spring practice and wonder if he'll be 100% by the start of the '08 football season. Has anyone heard news on how his rehab is going?

I think Riley redshirts, Vizza starts and a very capable Daniel Meager awaits his turn on the sideline if the unfortunate case of an injury should strike down Vizza.

Unless we, as a fan base, consistently fill up fouts, yell our heads off the whole game, and (this is the one that bothers me as much as anything) consistently show up wearing the friggin school colors,( :angry: ), we have absolutely no reason to trash this young man.

As soon as we start selling out Fouts with rabid fans we can trash whomever we want?! Probably not the best way to finish an otherwise good post. ;)

:clapping:I'm with Rick and "Lefty" here. :clapping:

What in the hell has Daniel Maeger ever done to the North Texas fan base that he catches such venom? I just wish that our fan base worked a tenth as hard being better fans, as Daniel has worked here at North Texas to be the best QB that he can be. As Rick said, considering the position coach that he had to work under (Daniel worked, the coach did God knows what) for the first two years, it's a wonder that he can walk and chew gum at the same time.

So what! if he doesn't throw 60 to 80 yard lasers to the WR's. Who the hell does......consistently? So what! if he has some "Ints" in a game? I believe that the all might GV has thrown his share of "int's" this last year. Plus, this offense lends itself to multiple "ints" in a game......regardless of who's throwing.

Sorry to add so much flame to the fire of the Meager supporters out there. A couple of things. I was in no way trying to bash Meager. I understand that he has worked hard to become the best QB he can. I was just saying the program needs to move forward and let Vizza continue to develop, which is obviously the decision Dodge has made. Otherwise, Meager would have continued to start. Secondly, I do care if the kid throws a few INT's. I know kids make mistakes, but its the QB's job to take care of the football. I also understand Vizza threw quite a bit of picks but he was also a true freshman and still obviously developing. Vizza also set an NCAA freshman record for 8 TD's in a game (7 in the first half)! Let the kid see the field as much as possible so by the time he's a junior and senior, he can dominate. Lastly, if I do recall correctly, Scott Hall, one of the best QB's in school history, played under the Flanigan regime. Don't blame Meager's first two season on him. If you want to use that deductive reasoning, then we should have went 2-10 every year with Flanigan and Dickey holding the reigns.

Michigan QB Mallett leaves program, considering Tennessee, others

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

January 9, 2008

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Ryan Mallett has left the Michigan football program, and the quarterback might be reunited with his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Tennessee.

"He's on his way home," his father, Jim Mallett, told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We don't know where he's going to go yet, but we need to do something quick. We're going to visit three, four or five schools."

The former Texas Class 4A offensive player of the year may end up with the Volunteers, who are considering hiring former Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler.

"If they're hired, that would be a real good possibility," Jim Mallett said. "Ryan really clicked with both coach DeBord and coach Loeffler during the last couple months of the season and during bowl practices, I've never seen Ryan throw the ball or read defenses as well as he did."

The Wolverines also lost another offensive player when wide receiver Adrian Arrington declared for the NFL draft. He caught 67 passes for 882 yards and eight touchdowns this season.

"Today is a very emotional day for me," Arrington said in a statement released by the school on Wednesday. "As much as I will miss my teammates, friends and Michigan football family, I have always dreamed about playing in the NFL.

"I believe that I am ready to take on this challenge and move on to the next level. Though I will be catching passes in another city starting next fall, I will always be a Michigan man."

Rich Rodriguez said Tuesday night he did not expect to coach Mallett, Arrington or wide receiver Mario Manningham at Michigan. Rodriguez said Arrington and Manningham would skip their senior seasons.

Manningham might be a first-round pick after catching 72 passes for 1,174 yards and 12 touchdowns and running 19 times for 119 yards and a score this season.

Mallett said his son also will consider transferring to Texas A&M, Arkansas and UCLA among other schools. After sitting out next season, he will have three years of eligibility.

"Several schools have called and we're still open-minded about any program that runs a pro-style offense," he said. "He's going to enroll this semester, so we've got to get moving."

Mallett played in 11 games as a freshman, filling in for Chad Henne when he was injured. He was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions.

As soon as Lloyd Carr retired and Rodriguez was hired, Mallett's days seemed to be numbered because of Rodriguez's spread offense that has featured mobile quarterbacks.

"It just wasn't a fit and yet, it was a hard decision," Jim Mallett said. "When he came home for Christmas, he told me and my wife that he really was falling in love with being at Michigan.

"Ryan wants to thank coach Carr, his staff and all the players for helping him have a great experience the past year."