Smu Insiders Think It's June Jones

I think Shula is good. Expectations at Bama were exceedingly high. But, for some reason, I think he'd make a good OC somewhere before he jumped back in the cockpit and flew the plane again.

Corey Lidle wishes you could have been there to tell him that exact sort of thing.

JFK Jr doesn't think that's all that funny.

Lynyrd Skynyrd was offended, then quickly replaced this with another joke.

(and I honestly typed JFK Jr. and then went with Lidle the first time)

I hear SMU Insiders are saying June Jones will be announced as the next head coach of the Mustangs later this week. Y'all have any thoughts?

NO WAY! I will never believe it until I see him in the red and blue.

I tend to agree with you but who else do they have?? The have got to be seriously concerned about recruiting and the success of their program for years to come. JJ can at least get a hefty raise, turn some heads in recruiting and be somewhat of the big splash that SMU thinks they are worthy of. After JJ's showing in the bowl game his real estate value may have just dropped too!!

I tend to agree with you but who else do they have?? The have got to be seriously concerned about recruiting and the success of their program for years to come. JJ can at least get a hefty raise, turn some heads in recruiting and be somewhat of the big splash that SMU thinks they are worthy of. After JJ's showing in the bowl game his real estate value may have just dropped too!!

Good point. The Warriors looked pretty bad in the bowl game.

They did, but I agree with the point of the "BCS Blowouts" thread. Lots of teams have had bad games in bowls, or just shouldn't have been there. A playoff would have shown if UH was up to snuff before they got to Georgia or a similar team. Who knows, they may have slowly risen to the occasion, or just been eliminated sooner. Either way, cracking the BCS still helped JJ. And having an undefeated regular season...if they were bad, they would have lost to SOMEBODY, but always found ways to win.

I think he's a good fit for a school like SMU, with the money to do a lot more than Hawai'i. I'm hoping he goes there and can't wait to see Dodge/Jones teams play each other if he does. I think those will be awesomely exciting games!

DMN is reporting this morning (Friday, 1/4) that JJ is being offered $2million per year by SMU...THAT's why the guy might take the job! I think we all knew that $$$$ would be the reason ANY "name" coach would even consider the SMU graveyard of coaches. However, look what the "big boy" did to a DEAD program in Kansas! Can you spell turn around????? The living "Kips Big Boy" is definitely COACH OF THE YEAR! Man, the KU program was soooooo BAD for sooooooo many years...gotta hand it to him! GREAT COACHING JOB...great turn around for a program from a Basketball School!

So, can June Jones do it at SMU? The real question is can Coach Dodge do it at UNT! I say "yes", and I say GO MEAN GREEN!

Apparently has the weekend. Norm speculated that he is using the SMU offer to get as much from Hawaii to stay (his contract with Hawaii is up).

Expect Hawaii to come in with a new offer. Jones lost some negotiating power getting trampled by Georgia and knocked down to reality. Would love to see Smut stuffed again! :D

Edited by NT80

I think KU and SMU are 2 totally different circumstances. KU has been a powerhouse in basketball for years. The conference also makes a huge difference, look at the recruiting Baylor gets as opposed to C-USA or SBC schools and they still suck. The right coach can also turn Baylor around... Briles ins't the one IMHO. No matter who SMU hires if it's late in the recruiting process they will suck for several years (sounds kinda like NT doesn't it?) Look at TD's recruits this year as opposed to last...it takes time to build.