Regardless of our differences on this board, I like a lot of you guys, and miss the connection I felt with my fellow students beginning on August 21, 1996 at 5:04 pm. In my odd, new complete openness, I'll throw this out here to see if others have had experiences that are similarly special. I don't see the point in hiding a lot of this anymore.

I first attempted suicide at age 11, then again at 13 and 17. I hated being alive, waking up, dealing with my crazy a-hole family and classmates and pretty much everybody else. I got a chance for a fresh start at North Texas and I took the scholarship. After everything that came before, I looked at it as having 27,000 friends to make. At first, I fit in with the other "creative types", but eventually got along with a lot of Greeks and others who fairly well fit the mold of the preppie jocks and snots that treated me like crap the rest of my life.

People completely different from me were, at times, some of my biggest supporters in life. I felt like I actually belonged somewhere. For a few years, I didn't even want to die. Then, after some really bad times, even more people who were completely different from those I would expect to give a crap jumped in and pushed me to continue being better than I thought I could be, and stuck with me through things people don't usually talk about.

North Texas made me see so many things differently, not the least of which was myself. To this day, nearly everyone in my life was a part of my North Texas experience. They have replaced a family whose members did everything up to and including one member trying to kill me. As if that weren't enough, my wife is my first college girlfriend who was afraid of relationships but, like me, couldn't be successful in any that weren't ours, and literally saved my life.

What makes UNT special is the people, at least for me. I can pretty much guarantee that I would never have been around this long if not for them. And I sure as hell would never have had the balls to make public statements like this, unless left in a letter for whoever might find it.

Jesse,

No question that UNT has guided my career and created life-time relationships. But, it would be hard to top your story. In fact, I think you should send it to the UNT magazine. It's a wonderful story about our wonderful school.

GRAND for YOU!

Rick

Edited by ParksAndRecRick

I don't think something like that is what they would be interested in...most of their stories are profiles of people who are fairly "big-time" now. I passed up law school or teaching (for now) to see if I could make it on my own in the art biz...don't really see them wanting to know about somebody who is in a transition period.

But I do like hearing about how being a part of this community has changed others' lives as well. I've heard quite a few great stories from other North Texans I've met, so I figured there might be one or two more on here.

.... I guess it is a good thing you are so bad at committing suicide. This is a sports message board, dude. Take these kind of postings to the Dr. Phil forum. Go Mean Green!

Wow! Aside from the fact that this forum is specifically titled "Non-UNT Sports" which pretty much leaves it open to talk about anything that may be about the most insensitive thing I've ever seen posted on this forum. Kudos to you....you win my douche of the week award.

Wow! Aside from the fact that this forum is specifically titled "Non-UNT Sports" which pretty much leaves it open to talk about anything that may be about the most insensitive thing I've ever seen posted on this forum. Kudos to you....you win my douche of the week award.

Really? I took it to mean sports that don't have to do with UNT. Potato, po-tat-o.

And if you are using a douche a week, I'd consider seeing a doctor.

Really? I took it to mean sports that don't have to do with UNT. Potato, po-tat-o.

And if you are using a douche a week, I'd consider seeing a doctor.

So why not point out your irritation in the evolution vs creationism thread? That was one that deserved a quick death, but dragged on and on. Or the gun control thread. Or numerous others.

Edited by CMJ

Because those are debatable, whereas this one was just uncomfortable. It's like Michael Scott fan fiction.

But that doesn't go along with...

:P

Frankly I think Jessie's post took alot of strength, and I was glad to to read it.

I assure you, I've gotten plenty of attention for things that don't really matter, as per the numerous newspaper and magazine articles, awards, etc. But nobody knew I'd been hiding this for about 10 years. Now that I have truly important things in my life, like a real family, I thought that there might be others who had had really crappy pasts, and if I were to open up, maybe they would see that other people's lives aren't as perfect as they seem and feel a little more comfortable about it all.

I guess an "insurance pro" with a perfect life wouldn't understand something like that. So sorry that you had to see something outside of your perfect little realm of happy, wealthy white people.

Oops, look at the time. You're late for your famous model girlfriend's photo shoot.