Smu's Backup Plan--if They Don't Get Pjohnson

SUMG

Wouldn't mind seeing us beat Craig James.

fixed it for you.

Im not a fan and would laugh my ass off if this is the "big hire" they've been waiting on. I honestly expect more out of Orsini. His track record indicates he could do better. The James bit is probably a joke.

Edited by Eagle1855

Not sure why you would hire James over Fran, but whatever they want.

Guys, the Craig James thing is a joke.

They're just letting off a little steam after missing on their initial target. I believe Paul Johnson would have been outstanding for SMU, but I also think there are several other excellent candidates that can be successful there. Craig is not one of them.

"We have more fan support but they have a lot more money. Our strengths are there weaknesses and vice versa. That’s why a rivalry (apart from geography) makes so much sense."

Not doubting that we have more fan support, but if that is true, how could we NOT have more money? That just doesn't make sense. please explain.

Not doubting that we have more fan support, but if that is true, how could we NOT have more money? That just doesn't make sense. please explain.

It takes a lot of fans to equal one well-monied alumnus eager to donate to his alma mater. We do not have nearly as much of the latter as does SMU.

NT has four times the alumni base that SMU has, if everyone would (pony up), we should be able to make up the difference of one alumnus as you say. I would venture to say, it's not just ONE alumnus, in SMU's case. Instead of taking out our frustrations for OUR shortcomings on SMU, we should focus on taking care of our business.....and the rest will take care of itself.

"We have more fan support but they have a lot more money. Our strengths are there weaknesses and vice versa. That’s why a rivalry (apart from geography) makes so much sense."

7-8 years ago - SMU was able to raise 60 million for the contruction of Ford Stadium. That money came largely from 2 donors.

This year they were able to raise 10 million for their new coach - again on the backs of a few boosters.

Again, it sounds like excuses to me. NT has at least FOUR times more alums than SMU.

Nobody's making excuses, just stating facts. With the size of our alumni base, we should have no problem raising the necessary funds for a first-rate stadium. But as you can see, we have not raised them yet; and a large part of that is because of the reason just mentioned.

Again, it sounds like excuses to me. NT has at least FOUR times more alums than SMU.

Not an excuse - just the fact

Numbers don’t necessarily equal dollars.

"The stadium [at SMU] is named after Gerald J. Ford . . . a billionaire banker who provided most of the funding for its construction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium

One of the other major donors was the owner of the KC Chiefs - Lamar Hunt.

When we have billionaires and NFL owners who happen to be alumni and are willing contribute to our program we will be able to move a lot faster.

And since we don't have the history that SMU or many of the other big programs have in terms of being in the Southwest Conference etc - we don't have the nostalgia factor working for us that helps engender support amongst the alums. As a result, we have to shake the trees a little harder. We'll get there. It's just going to take a little more time.

Not an excuse - just the fact

Numbers don’t necessarily equal dollars.

"The stadium [at SMU] is named after Gerald J. Ford . . . a billionaire banker who provided most of the funding for its construction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium

One of the other major donors was the owner of the KC Chiefs - Lamar Hunt.

When we have billionaires and NFL owners who happen to be alumni and are willing contribute to our program we will be able to move a lot faster.

And since we don't have the history that SMU or many of the other big programs have in terms of being in the Southwest Conference etc - we don't have the nostalgia factor working for us that helps engender support amongst the alums. As a result, we have to shake the trees a little harder. We'll get there. It's just going to take a little more time.

How about billionaires and NBA owners that happen to use our facilities?

nevermind him...

Of course I can't defend any argument with numbers, but I saw a couple things in person this season that made me really wonder how many potential "medium" donors UNT has waiting in the wings. With 4 times the alumni base, we should be able to match.

Would someone agree with me that our situation has been more because of apathy/administration? Winning would cure that.