North Texas @ F I U

UNTFan23

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

my point is that our team sucks on all fronts, and if you guys were consistent, you'd be calling for all the coaches' heads. i don't like that we're the worst team i've ever seen play, but if i call for Mendoza's head in his first season, i should be ready to call for everyone from Todge on down, because this team has been terrible all season.

but our athletes, particularly on defense, are NOT up to snuff. sorry if that hurts people's feelings, but it's the sheer fact of the matter. with or without schemes we shouldn't be getting blown off the ball by FIU. with or without them, our DBs shouldn't be getting beat this badly. now, some of that can be attributed to attrition and change of coaching styles. a GOOD DEAL of it has been a coaching staff doing a terrible job.

but the grim reality is that our D is about 1/3 of the problem with this football team right now.

that's my point.

Offense: much better than last year and with a bunch of youngsters starting/playing the majority of minutes.

Special Teams: New return men, new placekicker, same punter, not sure about the coverage units.

Defense: 10 starters return and we drop 40 places in defensive standings.

This is far from a team, season-wise, that suck on all fronts.

I'm speechless. I honestly don't know what to say about this game. I mean, all we had to do was STOP the NCAA's worst offense and we simply couldn't. In fact, we gave them their best game of the season.

Wow.

Not trying to nitpik here but we had 10 immediate starters returning and 7 others who also had started before also returning.

17 starting veterans in all.

Rick

Nitpick all you want, it just hammers the point home a little harder.

FIU, with the worst offense in the nation and their backup QB playing to boot, puts up 40 on us, and some of you want Mendoza back? :blink: He might be the nicest man in the world, but this is unacceptable.

Both the offense and defense have been record setting this year. Tell me this, which records are you more proud of, the offensive or defensive records we're setting this season? What is more depressing to you, the fact that the offense has been inconisistent or the fact that the defense has?

By the way, we do have some talent on this team, we have two honorable mention freshman all americans, and I'm sure when the all conference lists come out, we'll have several players on there.

Woohoo, we have a sexy passing offense now. It's still terrible and inefficient. It's simply the passing version of DD's vaunted run all the time O, which set its own number of 1-dimensional records. The record I care about is W-L.

How many INTs have we thrown this season? How many turnovers in total do we have? How many special teams miscues? Those are some stats for you to look at.

Yep. Two honorable mention FRESHMAN All-Americans. Our young talent, at this point, appears much further ahead of our upperclassmen, which is part of the reason for the personnel changes and inconsistency and, most importantly, LOSSES. If people are as upset by our losses as they appear to be, then surely they can see it is at least in part due to us not having the guns, when that has been obvious in EVERY game this year. Everyone in the conference will have several players on the all-conference lists. We just lost to the 2nd worst team in the country (the worst is now us without a doubt).

I'm one who believes this team is on the way up, but at this point I have to admit to myself that it is on blind faith and recruiting alone, because the coaching, talent, and execution (EVERYTHING, get it?), need to get WAY better if we want to compete.

How many INTs have we thrown this season? How many turnovers in total do we have? How many special teams miscues? Those are some stats for you to look at.

I know one thing for sure, we are not dead LAST in scoring offense. We are dead LAST in scoring defense. We just gave up 38 points to a team that only averages 13 a game and ranks dead LAST in scoring offense. Please find a way to dispute these numbers because if anybody can, you can.

I'm one who believes this team is on the way up, but at this point I have to admit to myself that it is on blind faith and recruiting alone, because the coaching, talent, and execution (EVERYTHING, get it?), need to get WAY better if we want to compete.

I'm glad I got through all of that post, because this last part was the only part worth the effort.

We have this sexy offense that moves the chains a lot better than DD's ever did. THe problem has been some redzone inefficiency this year. You're absolutely right in that W-L are the ultimate stat, but at least we're moving the chains? I had to live through a DD offense the last two years (and really, further back than that) that didn't even get first downs.

HOpefully Dodge will continue to improve outside those 20 yard lines. And the offense without a doubt has been questionable in the 2nd half.

I'm distressed, because this team sounds like it just didn't give a crap about today. Offense took a step back, special teams were horrid, and defense...we've been here before.

What a horrible way to go into the offseason. Lets see if these coaches can use the offseason to learn from this, and watch as the recruiting games unfold.

I know you want W-L, but this sexy offense is bringing in a heck of a lot more fans than DDs Sun Belt championships did, with the exception of a Baylor game and the '02 NMSU game.

You and I are going to support the team no matter what. We're awesome that way. But it's my own experience that in order to get my friends to these games, they want to know if there are going to be other fans there too. Games are just more fun with lots of people there, and an offense that takes shots down field brings them in.

I know you want W-L, but this sexy offense is bringing in a heck of a lot more fans than DDs Sun Belt championships did, with the exception of a Baylor game and the '02 NMSU game.

I think this offense is bringing them in because it's shiny and new. Now, I think it's a better offense than DD's, certainly, but we've seen a number of obvious flaws in it this year (short yardage and red-zone issues when in the shotgun, etc.).

AND I think when next year rolls around and the fan interest spike from a shiny new offense and coaching staff has worn off, ONLY wins will bring people in.

One of the worst NT games I have ever listened to. We have hit rock bottom, a loss to FIU. :(

I just can't believe that we lost to a team that was only scoring 13 points per game that had not won a game in over 2 years. So we finish with one less win than we had last year, with a significantly better offense, and there will be NO staff changes?